Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's mid-June, spring was way busy with lots of travel and a bad a cold, and now I'm in no kind of shape for MTB races. I've got a decent base and I'll do some MTB races to help build up and because they're fun. But I'm thinking that I'll turn my focus to cross this year and really try to fine tune my training for that purpose. I've got a decent idea of what I need to do, but I'd like more info. Sooooo, where can i look? can you guys recommend a good cross-specific training book/guide/website? Or is it really not that different?

thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Practice your self loathing

Its the only way to make a full hour of non stop suffering enjoyable. You'll pretty much be racing every weekend in the fall without any let up. You won't have months off between events to forget how much money it all costs and how much it hurts. Plus, you'll need strong delusional capabilities to justify paying for expensive tubulars and stinky embrocation. Isn't cross the best!!

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup

Unoveloce said:
Its the only way to make a full hour of non stop suffering enjoyable. You'll pretty much be racing every weekend in the fall without any let up. You won't have months off between events to forget how much money it all costs and how much it hurts. Plus, you'll need strong delusional capabilities to justify paying for expensive tubulars and stinky embrocation. Isn't cross the best!!

Been there. Same deal with MTB, except it's 2 hours of slightly less intense suffering.

The key for me this time around is to train so that I suffer just a little less than last year during those 45 min (I aint' doing the hour races!)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
You guys planning on putting on that race at the end of the season again? I REALLY liked it. And I sucked less than normal in it.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rockburn is on!

Kram said:
You guys planning on putting on that race at the end of the season again? I REALLY liked it. And I sucked less than normal in it.
Oh yeah, we're putting on Rockburn again. We got it moved up to before the Mabra championships, but I forget the date (the Mabra site is wrong). I'll post something here once we have a firm plan and registration set up.

We're going to change the course a bit--it'll be a little shorter, a little more spectator friendly, but still include some trails. Should be good :thumbsup:

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But...

pretender said:
How important the first sprint is, depends on the course and the size of the field. But in general, it's not nearly as difficult to pass people on a cross course than on a mountain bike course.
It's also very difficult (in my experience) to catch up if you fall behind. Drafting is more important in cross than in MTB, and in general there are fewer places to squeeze out more speed. In a MTB race, if you miss the hole shot by 10 or 20 places, you've got 2-ish hours and some big climbs (usually) to gain ground. Not so in a 45 min cross race. I've seen peopel come back from way down in a cross race, but it's harder.

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
i never experienced as much suffering as i did when i raced 'cross this past fall for the first time.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Great! I loved the trails thru the woods. I tend to like long courses (Carlisle is long and I like that, too). I'll be there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.