Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2004 Trek 5200. Everything is stock except the handle bars... No real complaints on the bike... Wouldnt mind having a little more upgrade options and a little lighter.

Here is the issue I'm having... is this bike worth upgrading a little bit (wheels and possibly lighter crank) and buy a cheaper (sub 1k) aluminum bike (beater) or should I just turn this bike into my beater and buy a nicer bike?

Instinct says upgrade the current because my budget on a new bike (not beater) would be about 2k. Which seems like it would just be barely and upgrade from my current.

My riding is mostly commuting (average 20miles per day) with the occasional century. The commuting is the reason for the possible beater.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't understand the purpose of not using the 5200 as your universal bike. If you just want a beater bike, then wait for some steel framed 80's road bike to appear on Craigslist and convert that into your beater bike. Otherwise, just make minor upgrades on your 5200, and keep on trucking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I like to have a line between what I take care of and don't really care much about. Currently my 5200 looks about as good as the day I bought it except for one scratch on a hood.

When commuting it drives me nuts when someone has just laid their bike against mine etc... Shifts perfectly... Kinda wanting the one that if I walk out and someone has laid their huffy against it then I dont really care much.

Not to mention its nice just having an extra laying around. Currently only person that rides in my family without multiple road bikes and they don't have much maintenance issues.... One is for daily riding and that one runs good enough and they have another for organized rides (none of us really race against anyone but ourselves) that runs perfectly with almost no maintenance because its for rides only. We all ride horrible weather or nice and sunny.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I like to have a line between what I take care of and don't really care much about. Currently my 5200 looks about as good as the day I bought it except for one scratch on a hood.

When commuting it drives me nuts when someone has just laid their bike against mine etc... Shifts perfectly... Kinda wanting the one that if I walk out and someone has laid their huffy against it then I dont really care much.

Not to mention its nice just having an extra laying around. Currently only person that rides in my family without multiple road bikes and they don't have much maintenance issues.... One is for daily riding and that one runs good enough and they have another for organized rides (none of us really race against anyone but ourselves) that runs perfectly with almost no maintenance because its for rides only. We all ride horrible weather or nice and sunny.
Well in that case, if you don't run into any really serious hills when commuting I'll recommend this: www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm Otherwise, if you do have a few challenging hills, I'll recommend this one: www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/supermirage_steel.htm

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never even touched a fixed gear so pretty hesitant to hop on it with an online order. My commute is about 10 miles each way of rolling hills of 9% grade. The second bike I will look into. From just casual browsing on the same site I found Save up to 60% off GT Road Bikes, GTR Series 2 road specific road bikes

The price range is good enough and appears to be more what I would be wanting... unless there is just something wrong with that bike. Otherwise the aluminum frame carbon fork sound good.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have never even touched a fixed gear so pretty hesitant to hop on it with an online order. My commute is about 10 miles each way of rolling hills of 9% grade. The second bike I will look into. From just casual browsing on the same site I found Save up to 60% off GT Road Bikes, GTR Series 2 road specific road bikes

The price range is good enough and appears to be more what I would be wanting... unless there is just something wrong with that bike. Otherwise the aluminum frame carbon fork sound good.
Well just as long as you know that GT road bike only comes in a 51cm (medium), then I'd guess you're all set. You might also wanna take a look at the Fuji Sportiff 1.3C at Performance @ $800. Of course, for only 10 mi. each way, I'd personally rather have either a Cannondale Quick 4, or a Bad Boy 9 at that price point for commuting....Good Luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ride a 52 on my 5200... so would have to look at see if I could do a 51 but wouldnt see much issues. Ill check out the other 3 you mentioned... as of now Im pretty open since my searches have literally just started a few hours ago. Thanks for the recomendations

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.