Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid question, but is it better to put the weight of your gear on you or on the bike?

I like to use a Camelbak for water, mainly becase I'm used to it (I also ride MTBs and motorcycles), and I live in the desert. However, I have other things like a puncture kit, CO2, multi tool and tube, which I could just as easily fit in a seat bag or in the pocket of my Camelbak. Is there any reason to use one or the other? Or does it really not matter since I'd be pushing the same amount of weight up the hills either way?

Thanks,

- Jen.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
I like it on the bike, but it's largely personal.

FWIW, I carry nearly everything on the bike, though on quick rides I might just stick a patch kit and levers in my pocket. I don't use a Camelback much, either, just because I don't like to ride with a pack. But I have a couple of friends who don't like ANYTHING on the bike--they put it all in fanny packs.

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I vastly prefer stuff on the bike rather than me, and even a small saddle bag can accommodate tube, patch kit, levers, chain tool. My pump is also on the frame and for short rides I rely on water bottles.

I try to pack my pockets light, just a snack or so and a lightweight jacket if necessary.

The only time I'll carry a Camelback is on longer rides in the mountains where I need to carry extra clothing and/or won't have enough fluid and food opportunities on the route.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
b987654 said:
Weight wize it doesn't matter, but put it on the bike, it bounces on the body and hurts. And I don't want to crash and have a tire lever poke me in the liver.
Good point

I've done both. I recently changed to putting it all on the bike. It was getting too hot and my camel-pak was causing my back to sweat more.

Yuk...

· Registered
2,746 Posts
I put anything that is not used on every ride in the bag. Anything else goes in my jersey pocket. I go weeks without opening the bag.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
I put everything on the bike- tube, tools,pump, water. My pockets are for food, cell phone, clothes. The stuff on the bike is always there and never forgotten as it would be if I had to pack it every day. It's ok to forget the cell phone. For some reason I never forget food. :)
Putting the heavy stuff on the bike makes me feel lighter. Plus its hard to take off your jacket while riding if you have to take off the camelback and empty your pockets first.

· Registered
284 Posts
It Does Matter Where

I believe it does matter whether it is in your jersey or beneath the seat. Not a lot, but it matters. Below the seat is lower on the bike/rider combo than in the jersey. Weight is weight, but having it lower rather than higher is always better--keeps the center of gravity lower. NASCAR mechanics put the weight on the race car as low as possible for the same reason.

· Registered
105 Posts
If given the choice of me or the bike carrying it, the bike gets the load. It doesn't care. It doesn't sweat. It's not pedaling. It's just a bike. I, on the other hand, can appreciate being unfettered -- footloose and fancy free. But I do try to avoid the elephant-beneath-you thing by not carrying the kitchen sink.

That said, my driver's license, credit card and health insurance info are on me, not the bike. In the off chance that it's a pancake and I'm still twitching, there's no question of who I am or who to bill for emergency room repairs.

· Registered
281 Posts
For longer distances (metric century, etc.) - I have an old Rocket Camelbak, I fill it with ice and water, and 31-ounce water bottles I top off with Cytomax, Gatorade, etc. I usually ride in town with a 25 cubic inch saddle bag, new tube, tire levers, inflator and some CO2 cartridges, one small multi-tool, but not always... It's so nice to take all the tube, inflator, CO2, levers (in a pinch you can use your wheel quick releases), and stick them in my jersey pocket.

What I have found that I don't like about most saddle bags, is they are not snug enough for me. I like Jannd, Pedro's, some Trek and some Specialized. For under 50 miles, I don't need a CamelBak.

· Registered
15 Posts
Bikes are quite different...

msohio said:
I believe it does matter whether it is in your jersey or beneath the seat. Not a lot, but it matters. Below the seat is lower on the bike/rider combo than in the jersey. Weight is weight, but having it lower rather than higher is always better--keeps the center of gravity lower. NASCAR mechanics put the weight on the race car as low as possible for the same reason.

Bikes are different animals from cars. Having a higher CG improves turn in. Pick up a motorcycle mag or book sometime. For what it is worth, do not use NASCAR as an example. The technology/rules that govern NASCAR are so antiquated that your $12k Hyundai uses more techonology. Reference F1 or MotoGP... those are true motorsports.

· Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
Everything in the jersey, except the pump and bottles. I hate stuff on the bike for no particular reason other than just because. And I don't have a "nice" bike either.

I have a little pouch that holds the various tools and patches that I carry. Tube goes in the same pocket. Cellphone, wallet, powerbars, etc... all easily fit in the other pockets.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
HokiePride said:
Bikes are different animals from cars. Having a higher CG improves turn in. Pick up a motorcycle mag or book sometime. For what it is worth, do not use NASCAR as an example. The technology/rules that govern NASCAR are so antiquated that your $12k Hyundai uses more techonology. Reference F1 or MotoGP... those are true motorsports.
a fellow F1 fan....and MotoGP to boot, see you at the USGP??

· Registered
960 Posts
Depends.

Road bike...
tools and spare tube go under the saddle...
pump, cell, banana... jersey pockets...
water... bottles in cages.

Mt. Bike...
Camelback Hawg carries it all... don't even use the larger area of the pack for shorter rides. And nothing on the bike, not even a computer, just a nice layer of fine dirt on the frame.:thumbsup:

· Say "nuke-u-lar"
453 Posts
I'm like SprocketMatt, for my mountain bike nothing on the bike itself, secure all gear in my hydration pack (Deuter suspension, fairly large). For road, I don't need nearly as much gear and what I do need fits under my seat (tubes, co2 kit, small tool set), and water bottles are okay as I usually I ride in the city and water refills for a bottle or two are readily available (I'll strap on a hydration pack if I'm going on a ride that has no water access, but that's not an issue 99% of the time) and my jersey pockets pickup any slack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.