Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be going to Atlanta over July 4th weekend. If so, I'll be staying around Acworth area. Are there any good bike routes in that vicinty. I like to stick to bike friendly areas (read: bike lanes). Thanks.

·
I used to wave
417 Posts
Atlanta isn't known for being bike friendly..altho they are trying. Very very few bike lanes. I live in Acworth Ga myself. Best close by ride thats nice country roads with rolling hills is the White Ga loops, being about 20 miles north up I75(you can see I75 where you park at the Busch plant, so its an easy fast drive and park). The loops are marked well. Like a 27m, 50m, 65, 100+m loops.

For local country road action, you can ride straight from Acworth heading up towards Emerson/cartersville, but you gotta be careful imho and it'd be hard if you don't know the area.

Theres a Rails to Trails type called the Silver Comet which is only about 30 minutes away due south from Acworth. Its like 60 miles one way and is fairly seenic.

Great country road ride thats about 40 minutes away heading west is the Team Green Round Rockmart ride. 47-57 mile loops. About 4 short but steep climbs. You even use some of the Silver Comet.

Heres a great resource for maps for all the good rides around N Ga..including the rides above and below.

http://www.sadlebred.com/gamaps.html

Also any ride that concerns Marietta(10 miles away), Kennesaw Mtn(6 miles away), are very close by, but like many places traffic can be a problem except early on the weekends.

If you drive 1.5-2 hours north to the larger mtns, you'll have world class riding. The area includes where the Tour De Georgia is held that has great climbing, long fast curvy descents, etc. 6 Gaps(some run 1000-2000+' climbs) Century is held in the area as well(see hogpen Gap(I hit 53 first time down it), Wolfpen Gap, Neels Gap, Brasstown Bald, etc). On the weekends the areas crazy with roadies training and such, including me. Nice views and cool mtn air too. Start early to beat the moto roadies, as well as the summer heat.

Feel free to PM me if you want any details on rides/directions, etc. Heck, I might even could join you for a ride maybe. Like many in the beginning, I train on the road but I race mtbs in Sport class 40-49 and podium every now and then, so you can gauge my roadie speed(Cat 5 I'm sure).

Duck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the lengthy reply Duckman..

I remember you from the mtbr boards which I used to frequent when I rode mountains. I live in FL but my wife is from Atlanta so we visit there once every couple of years. I used to take my mountain bike and ride at Yellow River? and the trails near Lake Lanier - I can't recall the name. If we go this summer I was hoping to take my roadie and look for some good long routes. But, I don't want to get lost, stuck in the crazy traffic, etc. Is the comet trail a good fast ride or is it more leisurly?

·
I used to wave
417 Posts
The Comet can be either. On a busy Sat/Sun, and if near its most eastern part(thru Smyrna) it can ger full of roller bladers, big wheels, kids, dogs, etc. But otherwise its a great ride(for a Rails type deal) with high tressels(bridges), tunnels, farm country, etc. Lots of history along it as well. On any given day the majority of users can be roadies out training with base mileage and such, with some at race pace(intervals) even. For ease of use and the least traffic, I'd suggest parking at one of the multi p-lots in Powder Springs or Hiram and head west toward Rockmart for a nice out and back.

The easiest country road ride would still be the White Ga loops. 10 minutes away, and very easy to find, ride, and stay on route. you park at a huge Budwiser plant thats on a quiet access rd that runs paralel to I75(it deadends soon after the plant, so theres zero traffic).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Definitely check out my website...www.sadlebred.com. On the maps page, the Brookstone ride is out of Acworth. I don't know if they are still doing the organized ride, but I heard the ride markers are still there. The routes from Cartersville/the Brewery/the Bud Plant are really good as well. I have maps for the 27, 45, 65, and 105 milers as well as the "May 2006" ride, which was done by a friend of mine. Those routes are rolling with a bit of flats and a bit of climbing. They are some of my favorite.

Sorry, I cannot provide any more details. See my website www.sadlebred.com for maps, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.