Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Train to Nowhere
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently training for the triple bypass, and i will be traveling to the plains/ manhattan area of montana to visit family at the end of june. does anyone know some good loops with elevations in this area? i need short sprint/pace rides ( 20 - 25 miles ) and a 65 mile ride. i live at sea level so i am trying to get acclimated to higher elevations. thanks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Lots of Them

Beartooth Pass is extremely scenic. The climb from Red Lodge is about 5,500 feet vertical. Doctor Foster posted a trip report with photographs in this forum. Also there are other possibilities in the area such as Dead Indian Pass to Cooke City.

Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National park.

Here is a link to a site that describes some bicycling routes in Montana: http://visitmt.com/virtualvisitor/biking/

Since Montana is north of most of the US, you might be traveling from the south or maybe you have the time to consider some rides in northern Wyoming:

Teton Pass, west of Jackson has only 2,300 feet vertical but most of the climbing is on 10% grades.

There are five ways to climb the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. Shell and Tensleep Canyons are particularly scenic. Highway 14A west of Lovell includes several miles of 10% grades. Highway 16 west of Buffalo has the most vertical - 7,800 vertical feet. Highway 14 west of Dayton is a nice steady climb and has the least vertical - only 4,800 feet vertical if you stop at the top of Cutler Hill.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Norton, how close to Billings will you be? There are some great rides around here. I have a few 20-25 mile rides I do, some flat, some with pretty steep hills. Then there are a variety of loops that one can do ranging from 28-80+ miles. Most have some good climbing in them. Just did the Beartooth pass again last Sunday and am about to post another ride report. It was SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Let me know. Maybe we can hook up if you're in the area.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.