Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how the bike was set up from the shop. How does it look? I have only ridden it shortly, but it didn't feel too bad. I hear people say they rode bikes for years that didn't really fit right. Any suggestions on adjustments to get a good starting position?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I can't see how much of a bend your leg has at the bottom of the pedal stroke. It looks like it's almost straight.

Essentially, you need to set height first, then set back so your knee is over the peal axle when the cranks are level. Recheck the height as it is affected by fore aft adjustements. Then set th reach (Stem length). It will take a few rides to dial it in and if you're just starting out it will possibly change a fair bit as you become fitter & more flexible.

Good Luck!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
From what I've been reading about fit, you should have just a tiny bit more bend at the knees when the crank is at the bottom - but not by much - maybe a centimeter. It almost seems as if your hips are having to rock to get to the bottom, and if that is true, you will need to go down more.
The arms do seem a bit straight too, can you lift your hands off the hoods without feeling like you will fall forward? Do they tend to hurt or go numb after riding for a while?
If you can ride for one hour and feel comfortable, then it's a good fit. If you're experiencing pain, then it is definitely time to get re-fit.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
phatkid77, do you use cycling gloves? The gell padded ones (Izumi Pearl) helped me with hand numbness. Also, moving the hand positions frequently helps more than anything else. Every couple of minutes I move my hands to a different position, even if just slightly so. I also pay attention to how much bend in my wrist there is.

Basically if your putting a good bit of weight resting on your hands, and you're putting constant pressure on that nerve that runs through the center of the palm of your hand, it's going to tingle and hurt.

Changing hand positions frequently helps me the most. Padded gel gloves, secondarily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.