Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i've had my allez for about a month and want to start changing parts, so far the only thing i've done is get some mtb pedals and put on a tiagra crank, where else should I look to shed some weight :confused:

· Registered
606 Posts
My understanding is that better wheels is what = most bang for buck. Be careful, though- you can easily wind up spending $1,000 on upgrading + ~$800 for your Allez when you could have bought something even better for $1,500...

I'm just sayin'.

· Registered
5,238 Posts
... as mentioned, the most bang for buck is usually with a wheel upgrade...

Course, with almost any bike, there is a law of dimenishing return... that is, you can spend a lot of money for marginal/no real world improvements. Don't forget to work on the engine!

That said, as also mentioned, you have to balance "upgrades" with overall package value. You don't want to get into a situation where you're hanging Dura Ace or Super Record off a pig of a frame that will always weight 4 pounds! There may come a point where your engine is worthy of a better steed.

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
best bang for the buck is reducing rider weight.

· Registered
838 Posts
First of all, reducing the weight of the bike won't do what you want it to do.

Second, your best improvement may be to buy a different bike. Replacing almost-new parts one at a time is a tremendously inefficient use of money.

My recommendation is to try to make yourself happy with what you have. Ride the hell out of it. Changing things won't make you happier. It will make your wallet lose weight faster than your bike.

· Registered
232 Posts
The place you'll feel the most weight loss (besides losing weight off your body) is rotating weight. You could look at your tires, lighter tires and tubes can make a difference...but may also cause an increase in flats. Wheels are another place, but as a previous poster noted...spending $1000 on wheels for a $800 bike is probably not wise. However, something like a set of Neuvation M28 wheels are just over $200 and are probably at least 1/2 lbs lighter than the stock wheels.

Beyond that...you can get pretty silly losing minor amounts of weight

· Registered
320 Posts
Don't get caught up in the weight reduction crap. As a former bike shop manager we loved suckers like yourself.(No offense intended) we kept a gram scale around and also a trade legal "Hanson" scale to hang your entire bike on. While having a superlight bike is great knocking 2 lbs off your Allez will cost you a small fortune. Ride the crap out of it and in a year or two upgrade and buy a lighter bike. You'll thank me later I've been riding for 30 years and I know what I'm talking about.

· Registered
499 Posts
Listen to him, that's damned good advice!!

spastook said:
Don't get caught up in the weight reduction crap. As a former bike shop manager we loved suckers like yourself.(No offense intended) we kept a gram scale around and also a trade legal "Hanson" scale to hang your entire bike on. While having a superlight bike is great knocking 2 lbs off your Allez will cost you a small fortune. Ride the crap out of it and in a year or two upgrade and buy a lighter bike. You'll thank me later I've been riding for 30 years and I know what I'm talking about.

The more I ride the less I even notice the weight or care! Wishing I had been riding for thirty, but only have a dozen or so steady. Save the money and enjoy the ride.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
I think you're crazy to spend money on lightening a bike after 1 month. Just ride it and keep your money until you want and can afford a full-bike upgrade. Without many (MANY) hundreds of dollars, you won't make a meaningful difference. A couple of pounds doesn't make any subjective or objective difference at all. Now if you're talking about turning a 21 pound bike into a 16 pound bike, that's worth doing - but it is not cost effective at all to do it by replacing parts that are still working fine. If you're absolutely in love with the frame, and if it is a top notch frame in terms of performance and lightness, replace parts with better/lighter ones as you need them for reasons of wear or fit. I doubt this is the case with your current frame. It's nice, but not worth doing what you're talking about.

All that said, when your tires need replacing, you can pretty easily save a pound, maybe even 2 pounds with the right tires and tubes - assuming really heavy ones on there currently.

As others have said, wheels are also a place to look, but to save a pound (450 grams), you'll spend $300 - $1,000 depending on what you have and what you buy. The good thing about this is that you can move good wheels to a new bike if you buy it - but chances are it will come with better/lighter wheels if you buy a better/lighter bike, so then you'll have two sets of roughly equivalent wheels.

All other relatively inexpensive parts - seat, stem, handlebars will only save you about 50 grams each IF (big if) you spend a hundred or so each.

Component group - faggedaboudit.... many hundreds for not much gain in the big picture.

Ride your bike and enjoy it. Buy a better bike after you've ridden enough to know what you want.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
hollandbk said:
well i've had my allez for about a month and want to start changing parts, so far the only thing i've done is get some mtb pedals and put on a tiagra crank, where else should I look to shed some weight :confused:
Start with upgrading the motor. You can make it more powerful and reduce weight at the same time.

· Registered
638 Posts
i understand your desire to fix what isnt broken. its fun to add and tinker with bikes. My friend just bought an allez and he loves it. but the brakes were garbage so he went to ebay and dropped $50 on some ultegra calipers. As far as weight and ride I recently ordered up some Neuvation M28 Aero3 wheels for my Scott and put Michelin Pro3 tires on them. The whole deal cost me under $500 and thats with the bearing upgrade and exteneded warranty on the wheels. Itll be the most noticable difference for your dollar. Plus then you'll have the origional wheelset and tires for rainy days and whatnot. aside from that you can always save up for some new brifters and a rear der. Not for weight but because the stock allez doesnt exactly shift smoothly under pressure. Youve got a great bike and the frame is worthy of the upgrades so have fun with it. The components it comes with will get you by fine but do leave room to be desired. Im the same way with just having fun changing out parts... I wont buy something new just to save weight but if im replacing a part anyways I figure may as well make it lighter.
What others here have said about rider weight is very true however.... I dont know your fitness or weight but I dropped from 181 to 147lbs since dec. and its very noticable on climbs. By the way 105 parts are fine but if youre picking up parts on ebay one at a time its not a whole lot more just to grab ultegra.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
So bulking up my upper body will make me a faster rider?

· Registered
1,932 Posts
MikeBiker said:
So bulking up my upper body will make me a faster rider?
I think the point of that post was.... move out of CANADA. The first shot, the guy is trapped in Vancouver (check the newspaper). In the second, he has obviously moved to somewhere much warmer, and thus is a much better rider. :wink:

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Fake baking (tanning solon) must make you faster also!? OR just pop a bunch of creatine and Ephedra before each ride...guaranteed to make you faster (and possibly kill you at the same time...hehehe).

I don't know if I agree with not upgrading what is not broken. I bought a new bike with full Dura Ace and changed it all to SRAM RED with less than 100 miles, then changed the wheels from stock to Reynolds Assaults..changed stem, bars...pretty much everything. Do what you want, it is your money and do whatever makes you happy. Changing from Dura Ace to RED doesn't really apply in your case because there are significant differences between the two, but changing my stock wheels out made a noticeable 'seat of the pants' difference. I didn't do any of the changes for weight reduction, but the changes did drop the weight of the bike a whopping 0.75lbs (at only about $2500 cost)....do you think you can notice 0.75lbs while riding? Only fill up your water bottle 25% next time you ride and let us know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.