Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
In the US--yea. Because the ASO are turds and only sell their rights to inarguably the worst sports broadcasters in the USA...NBC.

Or VPN outside the US and watch on Eurosport or GCN etc. That is my plan.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the vpn is going to be the way to go. Now which one? And supposedly a vpn is going to be in ios 15?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Definitely disappointing. I wonder if they will re-broadcast on the Olympic Channel? Not like I'm going to be able to watch it live anyway for the most part.

·
Registered
587 Posts
In the US--yea. Because the ASO are turds and only sell their rights to inarguably the worst sports broadcasters in the USA...NBC.

Or VPN outside the US and watch on Eurosport or GCN etc. That is my plan.
My plan as well as it's been for about the last 8-9 years. I've now switched to using the PureVPN addon in a web browser and then set up the browser to not send any Geo information. Connect to a server in the UK and then launch the Eurosport player. I guess I've had a Eurosport subscription for long enough that I've been grandfathered in around the proof of UK residency.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Is GCN broadcasting the Eurosport feed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
IOS 15 is going to have an embedded VPN?
Yea. Won't work.

Phones/tablets are location aware, and GCN etc cannot be fooled into thinking you're somewhere else with a VPN. VPN spoofing location is an inelegant whole that companies could plug if they wanted to. Fortunately companies are lazy, and there's minimal to no gain for a lot of trouble to do so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea. Won't work.

Phones/tablets are location aware, and GCN etc cannot be fooled into thinking you're somewhere else with a VPN. VPN spoofing location is an inelegant whole that companies could plug if they wanted to. Fortunately companies are lazy, and there's minimal to no gain for a lot of trouble to do so.
Yes you can use a VPN and GCN+ do it all the time. Also all Brit channels
Been doing it for years.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Yes you can use a VPN and GCN+ do it all the time. Also all Brit channels
Been doing it for years.
You can...just not on location-aware-devices. Like phones etc.

Which is why if you try to install Eurosport's app on Android via VPN it will not install. Same for viewing content--there are lots of way on location-aware-devices to check location, and VPN only is a bandaid on your IP not literally all the other things your phone does to check its location.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about a wifi ONLY ipad? I'm thinking wifi only is not location aware? Isn't that the point of the built in vpn? why else add it? You bring up good points Marc...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
What about a wifi ONLY ipad? I'm thinking wifi only is not location aware? Isn't that the point of the built in vpn? why else add it? You bring up good points Marc...
The point of VPN is to secure your traffic from interception. Especially for people working from home, needing to work-with sensitive server-hosted data. Hiding your IP addy from being used casual geo-tracking is only a minor tertiary side benefit people figured out, when that became useful with idiotically geolocked content. Apple is adding it, to pretend to care about privacy, and also to try to push the devices like iPad as being for work and not 'just dicking around on the couch'.

As for a Wifi-only iPad, I'd presume it wouldn't work. Granted, I could be wrong. There are LOTS of ways to find where a user is geographically. On Android--the simplest, and already implemented at the OS level, is looking at your wifi SSID in combination with adjacent SSIDs that the device sees. This can pinpoint your location to your house, in an extremely battery efficient manner--it takes less energy than using GPS. You can tell an Android to not use GPS--and it can still figure out where the device is even without a sim card; this is how. Google et al have spent millions geomapping all the wifi SSIDs with their Maps cars--they weren't just taking photos. Unless your SSID had an SSID ending in "-nomap", they know exactly where your wifi routers coverage is geographically.

The above applies to Google--but I'd wager money I don't have that iOS and iPad etc do the same exact thing to spy on users, sorry, I meant 'provide' users with 'locally relevant' data/services that 'never gets abused'. Which is why location-aware devices are broken WRT using VPN to defeat geoblocking---yea they might not have a cellular radio or even an onboard GPS chip--but mobile platforms are too smart at geolocation to need those to figure our where you actually are--and tell every single app that asks for it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Marc. Essentially the ios "vpn" won't be a true vpn but will it work so I don't have to subscribe to another service? Essentially there no such thing as a vpn because of the ip? Internet is just the new cable platform. Parsed, edited, throttled for private profit. Others pushed into the back unless you're in favor by isp's, cellular carriers. A commercially driven only enterprise under the guise of impartiality. Can't decide which was worse. Citizens united or the end of new neutrality...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Thanks Marc. Essentially the ios "vpn" won't be a true vpn but will it work so I don't have to subscribe to another service? Essentially there no such thing as a vpn because of the ip? Internet is just the new cable platform. Parsed, edited, throttled for private profit. Others pushed into the back unless you're in favor by isp's, cellular carriers. A commercially driven only enterprise under the guise of impartiality. Can't decide which was worse. Citizens united or the end of new neutrality...
It is still a VPN--I don't know how vetted their encryption practices will be.

The lesson here is that geoblocking by IP address is extremely crude. It speaks volumes about corporate laziness that it even works on any web browser anymore to anonymize location.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is still a VPN--I don't know how vetted their encryption practices will be.

The lesson here is that geoblocking by IP address is extremely crude. It speaks volumes about corporate laziness that it even works on any web browser anymore to anonymize location.
I run a VPN on my iPhone,iPad and AppleTV.
You turn on the VPN and then launch the app that requires the VPN to watch a show. With Apple App stores you can create a App Store account in another country with the VPN turned on and down load app’s in that country.
It’s not IP address that the VPN uses but the DNS that tells the app what country you are in. I have been doing this for 10 years not watching English tv channels.
ITV in England has the rights to the TDF so you can watch on there.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One has to be a tech wizard to get the most out of all this. It's a constant moving target. Are routers smart enough to host the vpn or each device you have to turn it on/off. I like simple. Probably why I'm drawn to the applecrap. I just want to be a user not an IT genius. Time to go for a ride and forget about it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I picked up a router about 8-9 years ago that specifically ran VPN (Sabai Technology) and then also got a VPN service that would work with the modem. I can switch individual devices on and off that connection, as needed, with just a click of a button. I used that for most of the time with Eurosport and it works fairly well. Every once in a while, they'll claim "my country is not supported". Usually I can switch to a different server in the UK and get it working again.

But now I've been using the VPN service's browser extension, along with setting up the browser to disable reporting geolocation data. That way they only have the geo information of the VPN connection to go by and that's been working great. It also means I don't have to route all the other network traffic on the PC to the UK and back, only the browser traffic. It's just a single button click to turn that browser extension on and off. Of course, this only works if you're using the desktop web player.

I'm sure there are other routers out there than can host a VPN connection.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My Norton security software subscription has a VPN option, so this morning I loaded it onto my iPad. After connecting to a UK server I then opened GCN+. I was able see the Tour de Suisse which is otherwise geo-blocked. I was also able to cast it to my apple tv box, but my android tv device.

interestingly, I could select from three languages or just sounds from the camera motorbike.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
As NBCSports is on air and continuing to do live sports through this year I'd be surprised if the Tour isn't on it this year. After this year it could get moved to the Olympic Channel where la Vuelta is.

Thankfully, the NHL is moving back to ESPN even if I don't care for some of their broadcasters it's still a better place for it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts