Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking about rides and how hilly they are is a consistent topic for my home group in Augusta. Yesterday I rode from Corpus Christi to Port Aransas, a beautiful ride along the ocean, 41 miles with a total of 500' elevation change and I believe the two bridges account for 350'. Wow

·
Super Moderator
40,840 Posts
Most all my riding, growing up on the NW edge of Ohio; board-flat for miles and miles in any direction.

There's a popular century ride up there, that advertises a hundred miles of riding with a total elevation change of five feet.

It's been known to be windy, though.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,144 Posts
MS City to shore Philadelphia to Ocean City NJ. 115mi @ 1775ft = 15ft/mi.

Other than that flattest I've ever done is 30ft/mi. I average ~65ft/mi for the year so anything under 50ft/mi is flat to me.
I used to ride in south jersey with some buddies over there. Flat.

Hey, where'd you come up with 1775ft for philly?

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Talking about rides and how hilly they are is a consistent topic for my home group in Augusta. Yesterday I rode from Corpus Christi to Port Aransas, a beautiful ride along the ocean, 41 miles with a total of 500' elevation change and I believe the two bridges account for 350'. Wow
Where I used to live was a geologic lake bottom. The only hills were sand ridges (30 feet maybe), freeway overpasses, and the occasional river bank. You could ride for more than 30 miles with hardly a noticeable grade, and then ride 30 miles back.

But south of Houston, TX it is REALLY flat. The rivers are 6 feet below grade. Bridges and overpasses are the only perceptible grade changes.

·
Registered
457 Posts
From Naples, Florida to Fort Myers Beach.

47.01 miles
Start elevation: 35'
End elevation: 53'
Total elevation: 366'

That 366' has to include about 300' of bridges...b/c I don't recall so much as a bump in the road.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
23 Miles, 120ft, Knights Landing -->Woodland CA & back
In John McPhee's book on geology he describes the flatness of the Sacramento delta, in comparison with other parts of the country that people think of as flat, by calling it "more planar than the plainest of the plains."

·
Registered
698 Posts
Woah, that's like climbing a 50 story building! (Well, sortof.)

I rarely see really flat terrain. It's interesting to have a view way off to the horizon for a change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I currently live in Fargo ND. My house in Fargo to Sabin MN and back: 50 miles and about totally flat. For a contrast, I used to live in Oregon, and sometimes take a mountain bike with me when we visit the in laws in Bend Oregon. From Three Creeks Lake to Mt. Bachelor and back: 33 miles, 3300 foot elevation gain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts