Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking just for the U.S. audience - We all knew that the Lane-o-philes would leave, but according to this NY Times article, viewership this year has "plunged"...

"Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472. At the same time, online traffic at olntv.com has spiked with the addition of more video.

A further look at past trends shows that viewership for the first four days swelled by 135 percent, from 171,975 in 2002 to 403,802 last year."

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:
Speaking just for the U.S. audience - We all knew that the Lane-o-philes would leave, but according to this NY Times article, viewership this year has "plunged"...

"Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472. At the same time, online traffic at olntv.com has spiked with the addition of more video.

A further look at past trends shows that viewership for the first four days swelled by 135 percent, from 171,975 in 2002 to 403,802 last year."
Hey I only own one TV and I'm doing the best I can with it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love to watch cyling and I've got a library of old races that I continually watch. But I was surprised at my own reaction to the first week of the tour.

I actually found it monotonous with the sprinter stages. The formula was a breakaway of unknowns riding until they are caught by the peloton in the last few kms for a bunch sprint to the finish.

For the first time I found myself bored and I would just check the results online later in the day to see if there were any developments.

I didn't even watch the stage following the time trial and only found out the results the on the rest day when I looked online.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
some of it

might be the actual route this year. Really only the last 10 mins or so have any interest and since they usually have that online in one form or another that might be part of the issue. I wonder if the viewership will increase once the tour hits the mtns.

ChilliConCarnage said:

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Only the "serious" cyclists are watching it now that Lance is not in it. Plus the abundance of sprinter-friendly stages is not all that exciting except for the last 30 minutes or so.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
exactly. no lance and sprinters stage after sprinters stage, w/a dash of doping scandal.

i wouldn't be surprised if ratings for TdF coverage are low in France/Italy/Spain/Belgium/NLL/etc

·
Registered
200 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:

Can you post the entire article? Dang, I can't believe that only 50K+ tune in per stage. It was only 100K+ last year!! I thought it would at least be 250K-500K per stage or something like that.

Was it really that slanted toward LA? I know people hate the Lance-o-philes, but I think OLN is doing its best to bait and switch. Give a little LA with the "Lance On", but then focus on making them fans of the new riders. They spend a decent amount of time profiling Floyd, Levi, George. They interview Floyd's trainer. They talk with Johan alot about Disco's strategy, etc. Sucks to hear that the market dried up though. I was hoping the LA crowd would convert to someone else.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
snowman3 said:
Can you post the entire article? Dang, I can't believe that only 50K+ tune in per stage. It was only 100K+ last year!! I thought it would at least be 250K-500K per stage or something like that.

Was it really that slanted toward LA? I know people hate the Lance-o-philes, but I think OLN is doing its best to bait and switch. Give a little LA with the "Lance On", but then focus on making them fans of the new riders. They spend a decent amount of time profiling Floyd, Levi, George. They interview Floyd's trainer. They talk with Johan alot about Disco's strategy, etc. Sucks to hear that the market dried up though. I was hoping the LA crowd would convert to someone else.
Don't discount the effect the World Cup could be having. I typically watch every stage of the Tour but this past week all my attention has been on the World Cup, watching taped matches, news programs, reading online articles, etc. I haven't had time to watch the Tour and didn't feel like I was missing much with it being flat stages thus far. Now that the World Cup is over I'll be tuning in every day. With the exception of the stage in Valkenburg I think the route has lacked something as well.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
Don't discount the effect the World Cup could be having. I typically watch every stage of the Tour but this past week all my attention has been on the World Cup, watching taped matches, news programs, reading online articles, etc. I haven't had time to watch the Tour and didn't feel like I was missing much with it being flat stages thus far. Now that the World Cup is over I'll be tuning in every day. With the exception of the stage in Valkenburg I think the route has lacked something as well.
good point...article from today:
http://dailycamera.com/bdc/soccer/article/0,1713,BDC_2414_4833415,00.html

·
it's olny pain
10 Posts
Now that the World Cup and Wimbledon are over and the mountains are on the horizon, maybe the competition will heat up and draw some views. There hasn’t been any real rivalry in the peloton this year. Except for the last 500 meters the race has looked like a century tour ride.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
the daily viewership numbers don't look all that bad-I'm surprised it's pulling in that many especially without Lance. Cable channels often have incredibly small audiences. Even the news channels like MSNBC often have viewerships of a few hundred thousand. Given OLN's tour viewership, you'd think they could sell better time and get more adverts that LL Bean and a couple of others that repeat about 500 times a show...

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
stevesbike said:
the daily viewership numbers don't look all that bad-I'm surprised it's pulling in that many especially without Lance. Cable channels often have incredibly small audiences. Even the news channels like MSNBC often have viewerships of a few hundred thousand. Given OLN's tour viewership, you'd think they could sell better time and get more adverts that LL Bean and a couple of others that repeat about 500 times a show...
Saab...made from jets....

ready, steady...GO!

·
Registered
93 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:

From a 2002 press release...

...With almost half a million viewers watching OLN for the
2002 Tour de France daily, July was OLN?'s highest rated month in
primetime in the history of the network. ...
So the current numbers may be a bit of a disappointment relative to last year (we'll still have to see what the final results are with the World Cup ending and the mountains starting), but we're still double what it was 4 years ago, and at that point OLN was happy to keep carrying it for another 4 years.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
This year has been exceptionally boring. Usually there is some make or break element that is exciting to watch, such as the cobblestone section they had in the first week of last year's tour (or the previous one...I forget), or they throw in some decent hills that break things up, or they go down a wet causeway, and so on. Weren't they in the Vosges mountains for stage 7 not too long ago? This year the best they could do was the Cauberg. Big whoopie. If the course is boring, the race is boring, and no one watches. It should not come as any surprise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What happened to TV viewers is Lance, there were a lot of people who weren't really Cycling fans but just jumped on the Lance Armstrong band wagon. Lance leaves the sheep leave. Also the world cup is every year but i've never heard anyone talk about it until this year, odd don't you think?

·
If You See Kay
929 Posts
This is the first Tour I've had the luxury of watching in four years.

Maybe if the riders were going around and around making left turns all day more Americans would watch.

Deek

·
If You See Kay
929 Posts
~David~ said:
What happened to TV viewers is Lance, there were a lot of people who weren't really Cycling fans but just jumped on the Lance Armstrong band wagon. Lance leaves the sheep leave. Also the world cup is every year but i've never heard anyone talk about it until this year, odd don't you think?
I don't think the World Cup is an annual event, btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup

Deek

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Only the "serious" cyclists are watching it now that Lance is not in it. Plus the abundance of sprinter-friendly stages is not all that exciting except for the last 30 minutes or so.
Heck, even "serious" cyclists arn't watching much of the TdF-lite (including me). I might watch more when they get in the mountains, but these flat stages are rather boring. Welcome to the post-Lance era.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heck, even "serious" cyclists arn't watching much of the TdF-lite (including me). I might watch more when they get in the mountains, but these flat stages are rather boring. Welcome to the post-Lance era.
I dunno i doubt viewership will increase by one third just because of the mountain stages although they are much more interesting. But i doubt it will be that drastic.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.