Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided to replace our newest car (2001 Jetta Wagon) with what will be the first brand new car* we've ever bought. Hoping to wait until spring rather than subject a new car to our winter conditions, especially with so much meat on our current winter tires.

I remember a thread on here about how much one can expect to negotiate with a car dealer but I can't find it using the "search".

Anyone know where that thread is or care to rehash "new car buying tips"?

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
We decided to replace our newest car (2001 Jetta Wagon) with what will be the first brand new car* we've ever bought. Hoping to wait until spring rather than subject a new car to our winter conditions, especially with so much meat on our current winter tires.

I remember a thread on here about how much one can expect to negotiate with a car dealer but I can't find it using the "search".

Anyone know where that thread is or care to rehash "new car buying tips"?
speaking of...we just, last weekend, bought a 2017 Outback. Its freaking awesome! ...although I haven't driven it since the trip back from the dealership because...well...bikes. 0% financing. 2 "free" season ski passes to the local hill.
sold the older 2006 for over twice blue book value with a private buyer.

all depends on the car, the year, and the condition. internet pricing doesn't have much room for movement, but you can often negotiate for extras. We had the dealership put on a bumper cover and a tunnel cover, as well as all weather mats, for no additional charge to close our deal.

truecar.com is your friend moving forward.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
speaking of...we just, last weekend, bought a 2017 Outback. Its freaking awesome! ...although I haven't driven it since the trip back from the dealership because...well...bikes. 0% financing. 2 "free" season ski passes to the local hill.
sold the older 2006 for over twice blue book value with a private buyer.

all depends on the car, the year, and the condition. internet pricing doesn't have much room for movement, but you can often negotiate for extras. We had the dealership put on a bumper cover and a tunnel cover, as well as all weather mats, for no additional charge to close our deal.

truecar.com is your friend moving forward.
We just got a 2017 Forester a few weeks ago. Really enjoying it so far.

Did you get an Eyesight model? Saved us a bunch on insurance, and the technology is pretty cool. Weird the first time it steers you back into your lane.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Bring a gun....

You get your best deal when you negotiate with a rookie who needs to make sales, or if the car you are looking at has been sitting on the lot for a while.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Waiting until spring... some of the best deals on last years new vehicles can be had on the first few days of January... I don't regret buying mine on January 2nd despite not being able to wax and polish it outside, keep the salt off of it and enjoy it in the winter.

The only other advice is drive as many different makes as you can, you never know what you may end up liking, many times it's not what you thought you wanted.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Car dealerships make a good bit of profit on extended warranties and financing. So when I buy a car, I always ask if they can arrange financing and if the car is eligible for an extended warranty. Not that I ever buy extended warranties, or dealership financing, unless it matches or beats my credit union. But I think they smell blood in the water and are willing to deal a bit more.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
pay cash for the car, or put on heloc. not enough cash? find a car whose price matches you pile of cash. cars sink too many folks' finances for no good reason

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
We just got a 2017 Forester a few weeks ago. Really enjoying it so far.

Did you get an Eyesight model? Saved us a bunch on insurance, and the technology is pretty cool. Weird the first time it steers you back into your lane.
we actually didn't. I didn't want a car steering for me...our insurance is about as low as it will ever be, under $400/year for the both of us.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
pay cash for the car, or put on heloc. not enough cash? find a car whose price matches you pile of cash. cars sink too many folks' finances for no good reason
isn't that up to each individual to decide?
we just got a new car...0% loan for 48 months. easy car payment, well within our means. car will be paid off in 4 years, probably have about 25K miles and be ours for another 10 with minimal, if any, maintenance...seems like a no brainer without draining our savings. our other car, a Mazda 3, has 70K miles, was paid off a year ago....

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
isn't that up to each individual to decide?
we just got a new car...0% loan for 48 months. easy car payment, well within our means. car will be paid off in 4 years, probably have about 25K miles and be ours for another 10 with minimal, if any, maintenance...seems like a no brainer without draining our savings. our other car, a Mazda 3, has 70K miles, was paid off a year ago....
yes I agree it is financially smart to keep it 14 years. but not much less

and sure it is no brainer to buy a new car .. since there is already a big company pension to rely on or saving 30-50% of gross income for past 10 years. but brain missing to buy a new car when such is not the case

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
yes I agree it is financially smart to keep it 14 years. but not much less

and sure it is no brainer to buy a new car .. since there is already a big company pension to rely on or saving 30-50% of gross income for past 10 years. but brain missing to buy a new car when such is not the case
what do company pensions or unrealistic savings goals have to do with anything? most people can afford the occasional new car just fine...

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
we actually didn't. I didn't want a car steering for me...our insurance is about as low as it will ever be, under $400/year for the both of us.
The default is the lane assist is off. You have to turn it on. It's a pretty gentle nudge, but it's not enough to keep you from changing lanes if you want. Turn on the turn signal and it pauses during the lane change.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You get your best deal when you negotiate with a rookie who needs to make sales.
Nice! I do have that going for me. I had to even ask the kid to give me his business card before I left.

I used to agree with the "don't buy it unless you can pay cash" opinion but now that I'm older and don't keep all my money in a checking account, I just can't square that line of thought anymore. I could buy the car outright but that money is working for me now, perhaps making more than the interest (if any) on a car loan.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
dir-t said:
I used to agree with the "don't buy it unless you can pay cash" opinion but now that I'm older and don't keep all my money in a checking account, I just can't square that line of thought anymore. I could buy the car outright but that money is working for me now, perhaps making more than the interest (if any) on a car loan.

Be your own banker.

Say you want a new car and it will run $30K, if you have $30K+ is saving, take it out, and go pay cash. Then go find a auto loan calculator, figure out a interest rate, and length of term, and whatever that monthly payment would be, you pay yourself back.

Now, you have a new car, and you are now making interested on your own money.

It's a win win. I've done it several times.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Be your own banker.

Say you want a new car and it will run $30K, if you have $30K+ is saving, take it out, and go pay cash. Then go find a auto loan calculator, figure out a interest rate, and length of term, and whatever that monthly payment would be, you pay yourself back.

I'm not following you. How do I "pay myself back" after I hand my cash over to the car dealer?

If my money is in mutual funds etc., it's likely already making "interest" if one assumes positive growth in the market over what (for me) is long period of time.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My brother-in-law swears that between Thanksgiving and New Years the best deals can be had because most people have other things on their mind and dealers are chomping at the bit.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I'm not following you. How do I "pay myself back" after I hand my cash over to the car dealer?

If my money is in mutual funds etc., it's likely already making "interest" if one assumes positive growth in the market over what (for me) is long period of time.

Instead of going to a bank and paying them (interest) to use their money, you pull the money out of your saving and then pay yourself back with interest. Instead of paying Bank of ABC, you pay Bank of Mr & Mrs dir-t.

Yes, if the money is in mutual funds or other investment vehicle, sure you might not want to do it, but if it sitting in a saving account making 1% at best, then you do.

Here is an example of what I did, I had about 2 years left on a car loan, I was paying around $343 a month on 3% loan, the pay off was around $8000, my total interest charges, for the next 2 years, was going to be about $250.
So, I withdrew $8000 out of my credit union account (where I was making not even 1%), paid off the loan, then I paid my self back $350.00 for 2 years. I ended up with $8400 at the end of the two years. So I made $400, plus the $250 I saved on interest to the bank, so $650 on $164 ($7 difference for 24 months)

You earn the interest, not the bank.

(If google Be your own banker, it will tell you to use life insurance as a source of funds, but you don't want to do that as you have to pay the life insurance co interest on loan from a life policy. )

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Be your own banker.

Plus one. But most do not practice saving for something, especially something as costly as a new vehicle. My mutual fund savings for my next car stands at $24k now, and should reach almost double that in time for my next purchase four years from now. It's the optimum way to manage one's finances, if they can pull it off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts