Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife weighs less than 115 lbs, so high pressure tires just laugh at her.

Any pumps that come to mind? I looked at a foot pump, but there does not seem to be decent one suited for the purpouse. I hate to turn her loose with the shop air compressor :) and she would not want to reset the pressures to use it when she wants to ride..

Thanks for the ideas.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Big differences

between different floor pumps, in my "testing lots of stuff in the industry" experience.

The inexpensive, smallish pumps take considerably more effort to get to 100PSI than the nicer ones with greater stroke length.

You want something with a long barrel that is a small diameter.

I really like the thread-on pump heads, you don't lose air or have to hold the thing at JUST the right angle that way -- my Lezyne CNC alloy floor drive is one of my fave bike tools.

· Registered
591 Posts
I haven't really had any issues with any decent floor pump (4'11" 120lbs).

I own a JoeBlow (because it was given to me as a gift) and have no complaints.
The shop's nice Specialized pumps are quite nice (and quite a bit more expensive)

· I'm slow
215 Posts
Perfect timing as I was going to ask the same question. The GF has tried my Joe Blow Sprint and she can support her entire 95lbs trying to push the handle yet it won't budge. I tried a Serfas for her that has a high volume/high pressure setting which makes it much easier but it takes forever in the high pressure setting, and the built in pressure gauge seems way off. One of those electric hand held units looks like the way to go.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
New Husband?

What kind of husband are you? In our house it is my job to pump up the tires while she fills the water bottles. By the way while I am commenting on your spousal abilities my wife would kill me if I posted her weight online.

biketyke said:
Note that at that wieght she ought to be able to get by with a lower air pressure than marked on the sidewall. Maybe around 90psi.

My wife likes her Silca floor pump with the new Silca thumblock head. She does not like my Silca with the old style push on head.

My wife also rides with a full size frame pump rather than some mini pump thingy.

Someone commented on the Lezyne. I recently got one of their frame pumps and am quite impressed with the overall construction and quality of it.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, I am 25 years into the marriage experiment. Since she is to remain anonymous, I am safe as far as her weight goes.

She can also put all of her wieght on the pump (really funny to watch), but she cannot get it past 70 lbs (that is what I am for :))

I do usually inflate her tire to 90-100 lbs, so if I can find a pump she can use it would be a much shorter trip to ideal riding pressure.

· What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
get a track pump. no on the road pump will get to 100psi and its not needed either, all you need is to get to 70-80+ till you get home, and use the track pump to pump to 80+ before rides

note: at that weight she can probably get away with 80 anyway [I do fine at 90 and Im only 20lbs~ more than your wife]

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
What kind of husband are you? In our house it is my job to pump up the tires while she fills the water bottles. By the way while I am commenting on your spousal abilities my wife would kill me if I posted her weight online.

Note that at that wieght she ought to be able to get by with a lower air pressure than marked on the sidewall. Maybe around 90psi.
women want to be equal men these days. its trendy; didn't you know?

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
biketyke said:

Any pumps that come to mind? I looked at a foot pump, but there does not seem to be decent one suited for the purpouse. I hate to turn her loose with the shop air compressor :) and she would not want to reset the pressures to use it when she wants to ride..

Thanks for the ideas.

I ride 85front, 100 rear, and I weigh 185 (25mm tires). Just sayin.

Check this out.

http://www.dorkypantsr.us/psi-rx.html

Can she make 60/75psi?

If you do want the overinflation, the advice to look for a good quality pump with a relatively narrow barrel is sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.