Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to road bikes. Been on a mountain bike for the last 20 years. I am 5'11",195 lb and a 32 inseam and 46 years old. I will be riding club rides and maybe a race or two. One of these three bikes will be under me. Any ideas?
Thanks for any help.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Obviously, the Bianchi. When given the choice of relative equals, always go for the one with pedigree. Not dissing Schwinn (or even GT) but celeste is the winner, hands down, IF it fits. If it doesn't, go with what fits, regardless of pedigree or snoberie or whatevery.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
I disagree with the pedigree idea. I would go with the GT because a friend who rides for Jelly Belly likes it. Bianchi would be my #2.

I would not go with the Schwinn Peloton. Did they even fix that retarded problem with the rear end where you couldn't swap wheels without completely taking off the rear skewer?

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Pedigree because of the history of the brand, nothing else. All these frames are generic asian alu. The parts are pretty comparable. There's really nothing to set them apart other than the brand and the fit. Glad your friend likes GT but that's hardly a reason to choose one over the other. Fit is a good reason and having the name Bianchi is another (although minor and totally subjective), IMHO. Plus, celeste is so traditional and still cool.

Not sure what you mean about the rear wheel problem. I've got a buddy with a Peleton and he can remove and re-install wheels without any problem.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Last year we were given Schwinn Pelotons for nationals. If you flatted, you couldn't remove or install a new rear wheel without taking out the skewer. Worst design flaw, ever.

Sorry to say, but Bianchi frames are made in asia, just like everything else. The frame may be assembled in Italy, but the frame is still from asia. Advanced International Multitech makes the carbon frames and the aluminum frames are made by Taiwan Hodaka.

Go with what fits you first and pleases your eye second. Taiwanese frames are top notch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will be riding them all today. They are all carbon frames. The Bianchi is a combo. Also going to try the 928 carbon/105 mix. I realize these are all Taiwan. All the bikes I own are. I am good with that. Any thoughts on customer service with these three?
Thanks again for the help.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
My bad, the Schwinn and GT are carbon frames but the Bianchi is a mix. They are still all asian made. You might also consider the group because I believe the Bianchi comes with either Campy Veloce or several different Shimano groups at different price points. Customer service in almost all cases starts with the LBS. They are your first and best contact. A good shop is worth more than anything.

The Bianchi 928 with Chorus would be very nice. Again, if it fits you and your pocket book.

·
Registered
458 Posts
May I suggest

The "GOOSE". Mongoose Bosberg. It is lighter, much lighter than anything you mention. 15.8 lbs stock no pedals or cages. Mine is a hair under 16lb complete with pedals and cages/computer and with my upgrades. We are same height and inseam and I ride a medium which Performance had for $1800 last time I checked. Do some research, this frame is ridden by Kinesis team.

yfdcap said:
Hello. I am new to road bikes. Been on a mountain bike for the last 20 years. I am 5'11",195 lb and a 32 inseam and 46 years old. I will be riding club rides and maybe a race or two. One of these three bikes will be under me. Any ideas?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a very nice Mongoose. I really wanted to deal with my LBS. That's why the three choices.
I ended up with the 928 C2C. I spent a couple hours riding as many bikes as I could. This bike fits me and just plain feels good.
Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nice looking ride

I gotta say that there are some really nice looking affordable bikes out there nowadays. The Schwinn Peleton Pro is impressive looking too but I like the curves on your bianchi.
Wonder what the frame weighs. Bicycling.com tested a complete 53cm which was almost 19lbs. Good luck with it.

yfdcap said:
That is a very nice Mongoose. I really wanted to deal with my LBS. That's why the three choices.
I ended up with the 928 C2C. I spent a couple hours riding as many bikes as I could. This bike fits me and just plain feels good.
Thanks again for the replies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.