Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I think they are quite comparable. Buy the one that fits best. You could make subjective arguments that point to one thing slightly better on one than the other, but there's no clear cut winner. Trek & Canondale are both large bike companies that know the price points and equipment that goes at each level.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Those are basicly the same thing. At the 1000.00 price point the competition is prety stong. They all offer similar products.

Get the one that makes you smile. If it makes you smile you will ride it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The Cannondale is the better bike! :thumbsup:
Shimano component hierarchy goes like this from mediocre to best: 2300 < Sora < Tiagra < 105 < Ultegra < Dura Ace .....Most cyclists would prefer Dura Ace to Ultegra. They would prefer 105 to Tiagra. They would also prefer Tiagra to Sora.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Personally, I see both bikes as inviting upgrading in a short time. I'd suggest possibly saving up and trying for something with Shimano 105 components, possibly a super six 5 105 or a Madone 2.3. There are probably other bikes in that range as well. Shop around in that price range there are frequently August sales.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Personally, I see both bikes as inviting upgrading in a short time. I'd suggest possibly saving up and trying for something with Shimano 105 components, possibly a super six 5 105 or a Madone 2.3. There are probably other bikes in that range as well. Shop around in that price range there are frequently August sales.
+1 ^ This could be very sage advice! However, if you're a newbie, and just getting into cycling, then the two bikes you've listed are typical entry level road bikes primarily made for novice cyclists. OTOH, if you do have an undeniable thirst for road bike cycling and you know that you will most definitely be committed to the sport, then it would most probably be best to purchase a bike on the 105 level right away. Otherwise, the bikes you've listed are just fine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
last year i put together a peugeot bike from 1973. i seriously love riding now doing between 25 and 50 km each Saturday. i would love to compete in minor races.
so i should maybe save a little more and upgrade? and what is the 105 level?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
last year i put together a peugeot bike from 1973. i seriously love riding now doing between 25 and 50 km each Saturday. i would love to compete in minor races.
so i should maybe save a little more and upgrade? and what is the 105 level?
Unlike Sora, 105 componentry offers you faster, smoother, and a more reliable transition between gears on 10 speed road bikes. Some cyclists race with 105 gruppos.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
105 > ultegra> dura ace.
The bike I bought just prior to moving to Manhattan was a Trek 1100 with rx 100 group set(had the down tube shifters). I just googled it and read it was comparable to a 105 at the time. I did long tours back then, and was already doing 60 mile rides. This was almost two decades ago, but my recollection was favorable. What I didn't like about the 1100 had nothing to do with the group set.My earlier bike was an even lower end Trek with a lower end group set(a 330). I always felt that upgrading to the 105 level equipment was like crossing the rubicon. Most riders if they are serious will at the very least wind up with 105 at the least but most likely ultegra. Dura Ace is mostly over-kill and not necessary by any stretch.

·
Registered
566 Posts
105 > ultegra> dura ace.
The bike I bought just prior to moving to Manhattan was a Trek 1100 with rx 100 group set(had the down tube shifters). I just googled it and read it was comparable to a 105 at the time. I did long tours back then, and was already doing 60 mile rides. My earlier bike was an even lower end Trek with a lower end group set(a 330). I always felt that upgrading to the 105 level equipment was like crossing the rubicon. Most riders if they are serious will at the very least wind up with 105 at the least but most likely ultegra. Dura Ace is mostly over-kill and not necessary by any stretch.
You need to reverse those mathematical signs, 105 is less than, not greater than, ultegra. (I know that you know. Don't ya just love math;)).

OP, dura ace is the highest shimano component. 105 is considered entry-level race by some. Personally, I buy at least at the 105 level. If you decide you want to pay X number of dollars for a particular frame set and group, and then set about finding it, you should be able to stay within budget, and get the group you want.

105 is very good, and you will probably not feel compelled to upgrade. Whatever you do, avoid paying full retail. In fact, I never have, and the lowest component group I've owned as an adult has been 105, and I've had zero problems with it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Relax,
The op asked what the 105 group was. I've come into bike shops asking for a particular product and was grateful for the extra information. The op further opened the door by indicating he enjoyed riding and was likely candidate for the 105 group.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Relax,
The op asked what the 105 group was. I've come into bike shops asking for a particular product and was grateful for the extra information. The op further opened the door by indicating he enjoyed riding and was likely candidate for the 105 group.
This is true.

Cyclingnis an expensive sport. I have had bike shops in yhe family and been around cycling retail for years. Most, and I mean most people are shocked at what this hobby costs.
The reality is that Sora and a aluminum frame is fine for what most people use and need. Belive it or not, the biggest hurdle of a new rider is getting them out riding and sticking with it. Not what they ride.

And to my last reply, 90% of what Zeet posts is his own opinion and always trying to steer someone into what he wants them to buy. Its getting old.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
And to my last reply, 90% of what Zeet posts is his own opinion and always trying to steer someone into what he wants them to buy. Its getting old.
This statement is grossly untrue. Of course, I want everyone to buy a new bike, if they can afford it, because I like new bikes. However, I always make it a point to either suggest or recommend bikes that are compatible with both the cyclist's budget and cycling conditions. Do I have preferences? Of course I do! Do I recommend my preferences? Of course I do! I do it 100% of the time whenever recommendations are requested, not 90% of the time. My major past time as a kid up until now, has been to study bicycle catalogues. I love researching companies and their bikes. Therefore, I have accumulated quite a bit of bicycle model images. I just love bikes, that's all! AND___It doesn't ever get OLD!!! ***Not that anybody deserves an explanation or anything*** I'm just Say'N...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.