Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Which one fits best? As much as I'll rag on Schwinn, the Madison is good value (I saw it at Performance for $499) probably not much more than just the Surley frame and fork.

But they're different bikes. The Surley is more an "all-rounder", room for bigger tires, rack mounts, etc. The Madison is more "track/sport" or, dare I say, a "hipster fixie."

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
I have a Schwinn Madison because before that I was just a Fixie Fashionista.

Here's a review and here and here and here
Note that some are 2007 and 2008 reviews.

Why I bought it: I like silvery shiny chrome things and am fond of the blue too. My good friend at the lbs got me a 'special' price (do some "help, it's summer and we're really busy!" work for the said sir). Same proven and strong/heavy/reliable components seen on all other 'instant hipster' $500-$700 bikes on the market. I like the way it rides and the way my lanky body fits to the frame.

Between the Schwinn and the Surly, I like normal drops, I like two brakes and I hate brown. To make purchasing more difficult take a look at the SE Lager, the slightly pricier Swobo Del Norte and great value Redline 925. But as previously advised, go with what fits your needs and your body best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.