Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been asked thousands of times, but I need help. Since I've never been a "roadie" (I hang out on mtbr usually in the downhill/freeride forum) I need your suggestions. I don't want to dump a ton of cash into it if in the end I don't like it. So, I would like a cheaper (Sub 400, if it exists?) roadbike so that I can get in better shape in general and for mountain biking!
Thanks for the help in advance

· Registered
216 Posts
My opinion, don't waste the money unless you are looking to buy a used bike. Anything new for that amount isn't worth the cash. If you look at your local classifieds, eBay, etc... you should be able to find a very nice road bike, maybe about 4 years old, that originally sold for $1,000+. Road bikes for the most part don't hold their value. Talk to your local bike shop for some suggestions on componets, brands, etc. before you go out and buy something.

Another option is Performance. I think they are offering 1 year, 0% financing on all bikes over $500.00

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Check out the "buying on a budget" thread for starters.

You won't find the sub-$400 you are looking for in a new ride, so you either need a well-informed friend to help you in the used market, or increase your budget. Good luck!

· Banned
476 Posts
there are new bikes under $400

you can normally find brand new road bikes on ebay for under $400
some even have aluminumm frame and carbon fork

you are not stuck with a used bike with no warranty and no size choice

ebay has lots of great deals on all kinds of new products - including bikes

· Registered
79 Posts
jtolleson said:
Check out the "buying on a budget" thread for starters.

You won't find the sub-$400 you are looking for in a new ride, so you either need a well-informed friend to help you in the used market, or increase your budget. Good luck!
Here are links to a couple of $400 and $500 bikes. Brand new,
decent solid Shimano componentry.

http://www.rscycle.com/
www.bikesdirect.com

If you buy used, be prepared to either wrench it yourself or learn, quick.
If you have to take it in to the shop for repairs, there goes any savings you
you gained on the used bike. Used is certainly an option, but do your homework
and know what you are buying. Same goes for a new bike, really. Shop smart,
which ever you decide, used or new, and good luck.

7,749 Posts
collectorvelo said:
you can normally find brand new road bikes on ebay for under $400
some even have aluminumm frame and carbon fork

you are not stuck with a used bike with no warranty and no size choice

ebay has lots of great deals on all kinds of new products - including bikes

Buying a new no-name bike on eBay (which is what the sub $400 offerings are) is essentially not better than hitting the used market. You can't test ride, are guessing about sizing, and probably don't have a vendor with much of a follow up obligation (and certainly no future discounts on service or accessories). So, if you're going to face all that, then I think buying used will get a lot more bike for the money. OTOH, I think there's great value in building a relationship with a shop and having personal fit assistance, which will require spending more than $400 for even an entry-level road bike.

Seems to me that the current round of no-name stuff on eBay is the worst of both worlds.

· Registered
79 Posts
jtolleson said:
Buying a new no-name bike on eBay (which is what the sub $400 offerings are) is essentially not better than hitting the used market. You can't test ride, are guessing about sizing, and probably don't have a vendor with much of a follow up obligation (and certainly no future discounts on service or accessories). So, if you're going to face all that, then I think buying used will get a lot more bike for the money. OTOH, I think there's great value in building a relationship with a shop and having personal fit assistance, which will require spending more than $400 for even an entry-level road bike.

Seems to me that the current round of no-name stuff on eBay is the worst of both worlds.
Seems;
To appear to one's own opinion or mind.

Which is great, but it is your own opinion, and not shared by everyone.
Internet sales are increasing and becoming more popular, like it or not.

It will most likely continue to do so, until the manufacturers decide to compete with
the online sellers. I have bought both my bikes online, and have no regrets
what-so-ever. I buy 95% of parts and accessories online as well. More value
for my money, internet sales work great for me and others as well.
The money I save, doesn't just seem to be real ...but it is rather unmistakable.
:thumbsup:

I just want to add that in my opinion...it is ridiculous that an entry-level bike should
cost more than $400 to $500. As long as they are much more...the online sellers
will reap the rewards of catering to the growing number of first-time buyers who
do not want to, or simply cannot afford to buy from the local shops. Sometimes
it is not a matter of purposely avoiding the local shops, it is a simple
matter of economics. Your disposable income versus others can vary greatly.

· Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Well

p9group said:
Here are links to a couple of $400 and $500 bikes. Brand new,
decent solid Shimano componentry.

http://www.rscycle.com/
www.bikesdirect.com

If you buy used, be prepared to either wrench it yourself or learn, quick.
If you have to take it in to the shop for repairs, there goes any savings you
you gained on the used bike. Used is certainly an option, but do your homework
and know what you are buying. Same goes for a new bike, really. Shop smart,
which ever you decide, used or new, and good luck.

The same could be said for buying a new bike from an online dealer.....BD doesn't even have a phone. If the bike isn't set up correctly or you have any problems, than there goes your savings in trips to the LBS to fix it. For an experienced cyclist who knows his correct fitting and can do at least some moderate wrenching, the internet is a great resource for purchasing a bicycle, but I would hardly recommend a beginner to do so.

· Registered
233 Posts
Again, if your not too serious about spending so much on a bike quite right yet... you can get a old used bike that works perfectly fine for about $100. Look in local classifieds in the newspaper. Start small. Then think about upgrading if you think that $100 bike isnt good enough. If you don't like biking, then you really didnt spend all that much!

· Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
collectorvelo said:
it is funny -- that you say bikedirect does not have a phone -- they state clearly on the site that they do make and take phone calls --

we not call e-mail questions anyway; as that is a better way to get answers
with rscycle or bikesdirect

this fit question is over blown - a new rider can be fit to a bike easily in a number of ways - and get a bike they can enjoy

and since all the entry bikes are made by the same factories in Taiwan - why not buy online and save $300 or $400?

I think you can see from feedback how many people got new bikes that they were happy with -- so why not trust people who have already done it

Yeah, because if you're having problems with a new bike that you dropped a lot of money on, that's what you want to do is wait for email responses and then have to ship the bike back and forth to get it straight.

Again, for an experienced cyclist..not a big thing, but for a beginner, nurturing and establishing a relationship with the LBS is probably as important as saving money on the bike.....I mean, a beginner will also need a helmet, shoes, pedals, shorts, jerseys, etc. etc.. Having a functional good relationship with your LBS can BE VERY helpful.

7,749 Posts
p9group said:
Seems;
To appear to one's own opinion or mind.

Which is great, but it is your own opinion, and not shared by everyone.
Internet sales are increasing and becoming more popular, like it or not.

It will most likely continue to do so, until the manufacturers decide to compete with
the online sellers. I have bought both my bikes online, and have no regrets
what-so-ever. I buy 95% of parts and accessories online as well. More value
for my money, internet sales work great for me and others as well.
The money I save, doesn't just seem to be real ...but it is rather unmistakable.
:thumbsup:

I just want to add that in my opinion...it is ridiculous that an entry-level bike should
cost more than $400 to $500. As long as they are much more...the online sellers
will reap the rewards of catering to the growing number of first-time buyers who
do not want to, or simply cannot afford to buy from the local shops. Sometimes
it is not a matter of purposely avoiding the local shops, it is a simple
matter of economics. Your disposable income versus others can vary greatly.

No one ever claimed it wasn't a matter of opinion, or that there isn't room for internet sales. But for someone new enough to cycling to be asking "what bike should I buy" on an internet forum, my only point was that they are not the right candidates for mail-order bicycles. I myself have bought over the 'net, but I've been been riding seriously for two decades.

You next suggest that this is all about the bottom line... that the $400 eBay bike is an inherently better deal. I don't believe that there's real cost savings associated with buying online necessarily. Add the cost of the shipping, the bike build, the fact that if the fit is wrong you're certainly not getting any free stem swaps from your LBS, the lack of an accessories discount, or the lack of a year's free service (all common features with local purchase). Plus the shared wisdom of your local wrench and/or salesperson can mean the world to a newbie.

So, our perspectives differ and yes, I do worry about a newbie taking the approach you suggest, but difference of opinion is what makes the world go 'round.

· Registered
79 Posts
I hear ya JT, varying opinion does make the world go 'round.
But I still differ greatly from your pov. We'll agree to disagree I guess.
:idea:

I bought my first bike from BD, in 2004 when I first began road cycling.

I did some basic research on the web about fit, and components
which helped me make my decision. No problems.

Also, most online sellers have no shipping and no tax, a couple may charge
40 bucks for shipping. Your perspective, from my point of view is like many other
seasoned cyclists who tend to scare off new riders and cyclists from
getting into the sport by telling them they need to avoid the internet.

Inclusive, not exclusive. I realize that there are many cyclists who despise
online stores and do everything they can to steer newbies into the local shops.
But I'm here to blow that up. I will continue to do so at every opportunity as well.

Not in your case, but others also emphatically state that spending $1000 and up
is the only way to buy a first road bike. Rubbish I say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.