Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wide backside, and am considering a Brooks saddle, due to the seemingly ecstatic feedback I have read. My question would be which one to get? It seems that the B-17 is the most popular. I have seen some B-72, a B-66, and some B-67 models. I realize that the difference is some are sprung, and there are many variations. I want a saddle that is comfortable. I am NOT a racer, and will be customizing a Schwinn Traveler to my needs. What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was just riding my B-17 yesterday, and...

I couldn't help thinking to myself how comfy it seemed under the sit bones, given how few miles that I have on it--like 25 miles. I need to work on the tilt a bit, as it is hard in the midline, but it felt fantastic on the bum.

Your saddle choice, as you seem to aware, should be guided largely by your sit-bone width. I can't speak to the other models, but unless you really are a softie, I can't image one needs the springs, however retro-cool it might be. Besides, the spring seat must weigh about five pounds--the B-17 is not a lightweight to start with

slowmo1 said:
I have a wide backside, and am considering a Brooks saddle, due to the seemingly ecstatic feedback I have read. My question would be which one to get? It seems that the B-17 is the most popular. I have seen some B-72, a B-66, and some B-67 models. I realize that the difference is some are sprung, and there are many variations. I want a saddle that is comfortable. I am NOT a racer, and will be customizing a Schwinn Traveler to my needs. What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like the B-17 would be the best fit for your situation. It favors a more upright riding position and wider sit bones (btw, a large backside does not necessarily mean wide sit bones, but a B-17 will mold itself to a wide range of sizes anyway). Most of the other unsprung Brooks models are either narrower or more racing-oriented, neither of which seems appropriate in your case. If you get it from Wallingford Bike you can return it if it doesn't work out (I actually bought mine someplace else so this isn't an advertisement, I've just heard good things about them). Don't forget to buy some Proofide and give it a good coating w/hair dryer when you start out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What advantage would the B-72 with double rails offer the rider over the B-17? Just more suspension? Also, what about the B-66/67, which are different only in their rail structure? I see that with the double rail saddles, one has to have a "seat sandwich" to continue using their one-bolt seatpost. Has anyone had to do this, or have you found or fabricated an alternative?

I also wonder if the Brooks Team Pro would be a viable alternative. My other question would be, considering that I normally do my bike part shopping on Ebay, would I do better getting a "broken-in" saddle as compared to new, and if so, how worn does it need to be before I consider it irredeemable?

·
Registered
449 Posts
i'm looking at a b-17 from ebay (run about 60 new), my understanding is that you'd most likely want new, as it will break in to your butt, not that a used one wouldn't work, but unless i could get one for a lot cheaper, i'd stick with the new b-17... but i've never had a brooks... i'm looking to get one for either my surly commutter, or my ted wojcik roadie...

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Unless you are very unusual, I wouldn't go wider than a B-17 for a bike with dropped bars. Those other saddles are very wide, and their intended use is if your bars are higher -- perhaps much higher -- than your saddle so you re sitting quite uproght. Sheldon brown and wallbike both have good sites to spell out the differences. There is a version of the b-17 with springs in a single rail that is quite nice for some uses.

Don't even think about getting a used brooks that has been broken in to someone else; it will be the worst saddle you have ever used.

BTW, for $5 more than e-bay you can buy a B-17 from Wallbike, and they will guarantee that you like it. They will help you pick one you like. They'll also send it to you very fast, and they are a solid business.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Second the www.wallbike.com

Those guys are pretty good to work with and would steer you in the right direction to your needs. Last year I bought a Brooks "Team Pro" from Branford bike and could not be happier. The saddle was great right out of the box and only got better the more I rode it. The ugly (to me) honey color quickly turned into a beautiful silky milk chocolate color after several treatments of "proofhide" and it really stands out IMO. My next saddle is going to be a B-17 narrow, also in honey, to put on my commuter bike. Brooks is "it" for saddles, and you will need no other one. It's quality is superb and actually has it's own "cult following".

Like I stated in another post. It's like strapping on a "Rolex", or wearing fine Italian shoes. It's the only saddle I know of that can actually "intimidate" the very bike it sits on, no matter what the pedigree. (just my .02 cents)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.