Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been riding Trek OCLV for a long long time. I had the 5200 model first year they came out. That broke and was replaced by a 5500 which is now like 10 years old. In general I like the bike but it is becoming dated and every year it feels softer especially when climbing out of the saddle. From what I read the newer carbon frames are stiffer. I test rode a new Madone and was not overly impressed although I did ride it in street clothes with platform pedals and the bars were too high. After reading about various carbon frames the one that stands out to me is the Look 585 although I hope it is not too harsh riding. Stopped by the high end LBS yesterday and they told me I could test ride one but they would have to build it first, not sure if I am serious enough yet to have them do that. On my way home from work was passed by a fast moving cyclist on a Look 595. Caught up to him I asked him how he liked it and said it was stiff and descended well but did not have a comfortable ride. I hear the 595 is stiffer than the 585 though. Are there other bikes similar to the 585 that might be already built for a test ride?

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
Ridden a 585 for about 5,000 mile now.
Test road many including the 595, Tarmac SL, Scott Addict, Litespeed and new Treks and more before making my decision.

The 585 is responsive but not at all harsh - best all around bike I have ridden - climbs / descends well, is fast and great for long time in the saddle. I have the origin - the ultra will be stiffer.

The 595 was way too stiff for me, stiffer than the Scott - also considered a stiff bike.

Basically there are generalizations you can make about frames but your weight and power, the type of wheels will all make bikes feel unique to you. Above are the generalizations.

Good Luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the feedback. I have heard so many good things about the 585 and I think it looks dope.

Did you test the new Madone? I didn't care for it but can't put my finger on why.

Realistically I won't be ready to buy until the end of the year. I would like to test ride it now but I am hesitant to have the shop build it up being that I won't be buying it right away.

The new 566 also looks interesting but I wonder if it will be too soft like the Trek I now have. Would like to try it when it comes out

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
I'm also looking for a new ride. The 585 is at the top of my list; from what I've read it rides like an absolute dream.

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
If you are looking to buy at the end of the year, now would be a good time to start test riding.

If you are going to spend some heavy cash - don't be afraid to drive a little to try out different bikes.
Further if you have a set of wheels you can bring with you that are of high quality, or more specifically - the ones you would use with your new bike all the better - the wheels create the constant which the variables of the frames can be measured against.

If your LBS will build the bike for you - maybe not a bad idea if you would consider buying it from them if you liked it in a coupe of months - keep in ind they probably aren't going to sell it unbuilt anyway - just be honest with them about your timeline and they shoud respect that.

I did ride the new Madone's - thought they were a really well balanced, solid do everything bike bike. My hangup with Trek is I am not a fan of Bontrager wheels. Further I am a SRAM fan and not so much a Shimano fan - but that's just me.

If this thread were to go on long enough you would get a hundred differnet recommendations on everbody's favorite fram etc.

You got to ride them for more than ten minutes to decide what is best for you. Like I said in my first post your weight, power, wheels, riding preferences, needs and wants will all contribute to what you really want in a bike.

"Your'e the decider"

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i too have been riding several bikes over the past few weeks. I've ridden tarmacs, roubaix, supersix, madone pro, madone "sport" or whatever they wanna call it, and 595.
I put upto 15k miles on my 5500 and also find the new madones very dissappointing. the tarmac was nice, the supersix even nicer, but the 595 was just magnificent. the one thing that I have determined is that the new madone is OUT for me. Just like its older version, light, stiff, but very dull.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jhamlin,

Why do you want to replace the 5500 other than it being dull?
Me, I am feeling it too soft especially when climbing out of the saddle.
Could be just a feeling and not a real effect on performance efficiency.
It is getting quite old too and I yearn for something that feels more crisp.

Did you find the 595 not to be too harsh? I have heard that some and that the 585 is a bit more comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.