Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a Cannondale Caad 8 frame and have been buying parts little by little. how much difference am I going to see from a 12-23 cassetter to 12-25? going to be using the bike mostly for Criteriums.

thanks

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Agree with Spunout - get the 12-23. In crits, you're going to spend a lot of time on the rivet, just short of blowing up. At times like these, you're going to appreciate all the one-tooth gear changes you can get.

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Go big (or little in this case)

I'll take some heat for this, but if you are building the bike with a 10spd group then I would suggest the 11-23 cassette for criteriums. Yeah, I know, I know. No one really needs an 11, and we've discussed this to death before. But if you ever do a crit with a downhill straightaway then the 11T is useful.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Buy Two

Rather than buying one Dura-Ace or Chorus level cassette for big bucks get yourself two of the lower end cassettes. The 105 or Veloce level cassettes work just as well without much of a weight penalty. Buying the lower end models is significantly cheaper and it will probably cost you less anyways. If you insist on only buying one cassette then get the 12-25 which will be an all purpose cassette that you can use for just about anything, even when you hit some hills on a training ride. I really like the 12-23 cassette for training miles as I get both a sweet 16t and a barely legal 18t cog. If it is truly a crit only bike then go with an 11-23. You will want if for that downhill straightaway with a tailwind. In addition when it comes to sprint time you do not need an 11t but when you put it in say a 13t cog look down at the nice, straight chainline you have for that final effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.