Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running dura ace 7800 and need a new chain. I have run both the 7800 and 7900 chains on this bike. Seems like you can run the 7800, 7801, 7900 and 7901. So I am confused, which is best?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
They're all basically the same.

I've used Ultegra and DA chains... all the same in the end.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Running dura ace 7800 and need a new chain. I have run both the 7800 and 7900 chains on this bike. Seems like you can run the 7800, 7801, 7900 and 7901. So I am confused, which is best?
Or you could use a KMC chain, a Wipperman chain, a SRAM chain, or maybe even a Campy chain. There is not as much difference as some would have you believe. Any Shimano chain for the right number of gears will work pretty well.

Define "best."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or you could use a KMC chain, a Wipperman chain, a SRAM chain, or maybe even a Campy chain. There is not as much difference as some would have you believe. Any Shimano chain for the right number of gears will work pretty well.

Define "best."
I am well aware that you can run different chains, but I assume they have different characteristics. So is there an advantage to one versus the other?
I assume the 7800/7801 are specific for the 7800 drive train so will it shift better?
I believe the 7900s are directional chains, is there an advantage or disadvantage to running that with 7800?

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I am well aware that you can run different chains, but I assume they have different characteristics. So is there an advantage to one versus the other?
I assume the 7800/7801 are specific for the 7800 drive train so will it shift better?
I believe the 7900s are directional chains, is there an advantage or disadvantage to running that with 7800?
Generally brands of chains that match the drive train are considered the best bet, but plenty of people report no problems or even improvements by going with a different brand. As far as models of chains (within a brand) you are mostly getting small weight savings and perhaps a "better" physical appearance. Tertiary effects.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use Connex Wipperman chain. I use the relatively expensive (+/- $70) 10sX model with stainless steel inner links and nickel plated outer links. I switched to the 10sX and used Prolink lubricant last year. After 4,000 miles my chain only showed 50% wear on my Park Tools chain stretch gage. This setup didn't protect my casette from wear though - I needed a new casette when I replaced my chain. Titanium casettes don't last forever anyway.

I've been using nothing but Wipperman chains for about 15 years. A big reason for this is the convenience of using a chain with a master link. I like to be able to remove my chain easily to clean it. This particular Wipperman chain is not available from most online retailers. I buy mine from Performance Bike.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Shimano will be conservative and on record will advise to match chains to the driveline as they told you. There is a lot of compatibility and whether you notice any differences in shifting performance is open. I've used a variety of mid level chains along the way in my 6600, 7800 systems. I like the KMC DX10SC chains and between the 6600 chains I felt they were indistinguishable. They shift well on the 6600 and 6700 cassettes that I use.

For those that race there may be differences though for my casual rides coupled with a good shifting cable, I find the KMC is nicely matched.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with Lelandjt . KMC all the way. I understand that Shimano would want to recommend a shimano chain. KMC make chains, they make them to fit on other peoples groupsets. Let's face it they want to sell them so they have to make them better than shimano for people to be interested. Best thing I like about the KMC is the quick release link that makes it really easy to take it off and soak in some citrus cleaner. No Brainer

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,553 Posts
Whenever I need a chain, I get a cn7801 on Amazon for $40 some $$

Not sure how a cn7901 chain would shift on my 7800 stuff. (that, and the fact that 7801 chains are $10 cheaper)

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
I use Connex Wipperman chain. I use the relatively expensive (+/- $70) 10sX model with stainless steel inner links and nickel plated outer links. I switched to the 10sX and used Prolink lubricant last year. After 4,000 miles my chain only showed 50% wear on my Park Tools chain stretch gage. This setup didn't protect my casette from wear though - I needed a new casette when I replaced my chain. Titanium casettes don't last forever anyway.

I've been using nothing but Wipperman chains for about 15 years. A big reason for this is the convenience of using a chain with a master link. I like to be able to remove my chain easily to clean it. This particular Wipperman chain is not available from most online retailers. I buy mine from Performance Bike.
I'm in the same boat, been using these for over a decade. Always the cheapest in the long run if kept clean and lubed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.