Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between two compact carbon cranks, replacing my too-short 170mm Ultegra 6600 crank with a 175mm compact. The candidates are either the FSA Carbon (K-Force or SLK) or the Truvative Rouleur Carbon. I can't find much info on the Truvative cranks, and the reviews on the FSA cranks are hit/miss. I do dig the polished spider/carbon arms on the Truvative, so cosmetically the Rouleur wins.

Anyway, I was just hoping some people could give me input on either of these cranks. Additionally if there were better options out there that were within reason ( < $350) price wise, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
5,358 Posts
Having had my POS SLK compact's left crank arm come loose four times and wear out the splines, I can't recommend it to anyone. Maybe it'll stay on if you torque the bolt once a week, but who should have to do that?

How about the Shimano ultegra-level compact?

· Registered
180 Posts
I've been running an FSA ISIS compact for 4 months and have had no problems at all with the crankarms. The pinch bolt problem you've been describing sounds as if you have a manufacturing defect in either your crankarm or the spindle. I'm not a big fan of the external bearing design and I suspect its not going to be around for long.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
gmcastil said:
Truvativ rings are worthless.
I haven't had any problems with mine, they spin well, aren't flexy, good shifting, wear seems to be good, what's worthless about that?

· Registered
492 Posts
ericm979 said:
Having had my POS SLK compact's left crank arm come loose four times and wear out the splines, I can't recommend it to anyone. Maybe it'll stay on if you torque the bolt once a week, but who should have to do that?
My left crankarm fell off twice on my FSA SLK until I cleaned it up, put blue Loctite on the threads, greased the spline and torqued the bolt to 35 pounds. I still check it every month and its been good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.