Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the Vetta V100HR WL2X-Vetta or looking at the Cat Eye CD300DW- Cat Eye......

What are you all riding with? One has a HR monitor the other one doesn't. Any other opinions on computers?
Thanks guys..!

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
had a vetta 100 (IIRC) w/a HRM but it was pretty useless after awhile - it wouldn't pick up the signal.

i'd advise using a HRM to monitor your BPM, not a bike computer.

currently using a cheapo cateye and a polar HRM. just bought a new bike, and had a shimano flightdeck put on. IMO if you have campy or shimano brifters that are compatable, then go for a flightdeck or an ergobrain.

altlink said:
Looking at the Vetta V100HR WL2X-Vetta or looking at the Cat Eye CD300DW- Cat Eye......

What are you all riding with? One has a HR monitor the other one doesn't. Any other opinions on computers?
Thanks guys..!

·
Registered
170 Posts
echowell

I looked at all the different cateyes and flightdeck computers when i was looking for a comp. My best advice, go with something wireless! I got a echowell W2, its wireless, waterproof, it doesn't have a cadence or HRM function but pretty much anything else. I wouldnt have minded getting a cadence function but the cheapest one was about $100 more than what i payed for mine. I already have a HRM so i can use that. My main advice, go with something wireless and a cadence function and for the HRM, get something different, like a polar, it'll work so much better

·
Registered
60 Posts
Only My Opinion - worth what you are paying for it.
1. Get a separate HRM. Be sure to get a Coded or digital signal model (like POLAR S210) so that it will work without interfering with a wireless cyclocomputer.
2. If funds are limited then get a simple wired cyclo computer like a Cateye Velo5. Bullet proof, easy to read, mount and use. This will hold you over until you can save enough for a wireless with cadence model.
3. If you’re a bit more well healed, then get the wireless right off the bat.

I have both a POLAR S210 and the Cateye Double wireless and I have no issues with cross talk or interference between the two. I'm still getting used to moving around the screens on the Cateye, more info than I need but a nice clean setup. Do a search for info on the wireless Cateye, there can be issues setting it up depending on your type of wheels and the shape of your chainstays. It takes a bit of patience to set it up initially and it also has the reputation of eating batteries a few times a year. I went the HRM and Velo5 route for a year or so and if I had not added another bike would still be using this setup. I’m riding my new bike on a trainer during the winter and the Double wireless reads off the rear wheel so this was the best choice for my application.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestions. Really helped me out!! Sounds like the best bet is a separate HRM and go wireless. Thank you!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a Cateye Micro Wireless and am very happy with it. Maybe it is my area but I never have a loss of signal or interference. I got a 2nd one for my other bike. They can be had for under $40 (I paid $28 for mine on ebay) and because it is wireless installs in about 20 minutes sans the cursing. As the others have suggested I also use a seperate Polar HR monitor. I haven't used one but Polar sells a seperate mount to put the wrist receiver on the handle bars.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i have the cateye double wireless (cadence), it's very cool...

dont get the HR one, you can always get one of those watch thingys for that.. if you care...

the top of the range cateye is quality. Made in Japan, very good mounts both in materials and design, it's easy to set up, easy to read with an anti-glare coating, and it works... what more do you need?

i highly recommend it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What a coincidence...

I'm returning my Cateye 7 today as it decided to stop registering speed, distance, etc. Battery is fine. Apparently this is a common problem with the 7. (See other threads).

·
Registered
155 Posts
altlink said:

Thanks guys..!
I've been using the CD300DW for the past year and it has performed flawlessly with great accuracy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have the Cateye CD300DW Works great. I had a lower polar HR monitior I think it was the 120. It caused alot of interference. I just bought a Sigma PC14 for $40 and it all works fine. All I needed was basic HR functions.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I reccommend getting one with large, easy to read numbers, that tells you present, avg, & max speed, total miles, and trip miles. You, IMHO, really don't need anything else. Some of these things that have a built-in compass, altimeter, cadence, are just bling. Next they'll be making them with lean angles and rectal temperatures.

Big numbers - easy to read -simple, not complex. My $.02

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had a Vetta C10 that lasted 9 or 10 years, while every Cateye I've ever owned crapped out within a year.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Blue Sugar said:
I had a Vetta C10 that lasted 9 or 10 years, while every Cateye I've ever owned crapped out within a year.
Sure hope you're wrong about the Cateye's. I'm happy with both of mine but my first one is only 7 months old the other less than 1 month.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Make sure you get one that's sealed against water at the battery cover, or it will likely crap out on the first rain ride. I currently use a Specialized unit and I recommend it. Ones I wouldn't recommend would be any Avocet, Planet Bike, or Cateye model, as I've had no luck with any of those.

Some helpful hints regarding computers-

-Take the computer off when you wash the bike, but cover the mounting shoe with some saran wrap and a rubber band to keep water off it. Water will corrode the contacts.

-If your computer stops working after a year or two it could be the magnet- they can lose their magnetic properties in time. You can buy replacements at a bike shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tons of great info here guys...! Thanks. So found this on the net. I know Polar is best for HRM... How about as a HRM/Cycling Computer? Check it out--> triple wireless CS200cad Polar

·
Registered
396 Posts
Bianchiguy said:
I've been using the CD300DW for the past year and it has performed flawlessly with great accuracy.
We've got the CD300DW on all our road bikes now. No issues, easy to setup. It's nice and clean, plus the mount is very flexible so that you can put it where you can easily see it and have it still be out of the way of everything.

·
Riding To Eat
140 Posts
altlink said:
Tons of great info here guys...! Thanks. So found this on the net. I know Polar is best for HRM... How about as a HRM/Cycling Computer? Check it out--> triple wireless CS200cad Polar
You will not be sorry with this unit or a Polar bike specific watch. I've gone through may different types of cycling computers and I've found Polar to be the most useful. You won't be disappointed.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Blue Sugar said:
AAAaaamen! My experience exactly. I'm using an Avocet 30 that I bought new in 1993. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Flight Deck

If you're using Shimano stuff with STI shifters you should consider their Flight Deck Computer because it displays what gear you're in as well as a lot of other stuff.

Tlaloc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts