Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post here. I'm looking at getting a fixed gear bike for commuting and training purposes. I'd like to avoid spending a bunch of money as I have very little (college you know). I'd like to get a flip-flop hub, but I don't need one. Can anyone give me suggestions for either assembled bikes or components/frames that would work. I'd like to spend less than $200 if possible, I know that's not much but I'm quite budget limited here.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have also been looking for my 1st fixie. I'm not sure what's out there for $200, but I am leaning towards the Giant Bowery. Priced right for a starter.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Any suggestions for a starting point? It'd be my beater bike, it would replace my dad's old *cough* 38 pound*cough*) department store bike. I think they made the frame out of cast iron. One of my buddies has a flip/flop hub that he was going to get rid of so I could use that, but the frame's an issue, eBay has been less than great in my search.

·
Registered
105 Posts
at college there are hundreds of old road bikes.. with good drop outs for conversion.. i bet if you go around at the end of the year.. (that is 2 weeks for me)

you could prob pick one up for cheap, if not free..

(btw, the campus cuts the locks and takes all the bikes left, so.. well.. just dont get caught.. )

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've posted on craigslist and am now waiting, here's hoping. As for jacking one of the abandoned bikes on campus, don't think that hasn't come to mind, but OSU cops don't take kindly to that. Still, plasma cutters are pretty fast, and I do have access.

·
Registered
202 Posts
tubafreak said:
Hey all, first post here. I'm looking at getting a fixed gear bike for commuting and training purposes. I'd like to avoid spending a bunch of money as I have very little (college you know). I'd like to get a flip-flop hub, but I don't need one. Can anyone give me suggestions for either assembled bikes or components/frames that would work. I'd like to spend less than $200 if possible, I know that's not much but I'm quite budget limited here.

Thanks
I don't know these people but they are advertising over on fixedgeargallery.com.

http://www.grinderbikes.com/fs_kuwa.html $225.

TT

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
obie33 said:
No officers, I always pull a plasma cutter with my bike!
Darn right, also the large generator needed to power it, and the air compressor.

On a more serious note I think I may have found something through craigslist. I still have yet to ride it but it looks promising. 57 cm Ron Kitching frame, suzue flip-flop hub, been ridden a few times, under $200. I might have a winner here, nothing firm yet, but my mood has taken an upturn.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tamu said:
plasma cutter? hell, 99% of the time all you need is the wire cutter on a good set of pliers..
True, but the excess force produced by a plasma cutter makes it just that much more appealing. If I was to actually do it I'd use a huge set of bolt cutters. An OA cutting rig would work better anyway, less to haul around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need the plasma cutter I have. Has the air compressor built in, already on a pull cart. Only thing you need is a 220 line, and maybe a long 220 extension cord!

·
Registered
105 Posts
hell, you seriously dont even need bolt cutters, i wouldnt be supprised if i saw a bike tied up with string!!

not to sit here and convince people to go steal bikes.. but i have seen specialized hardrocks locked up with something i could brake with my bare hands..

when you got (braded wire) locks that are 1/4 an in thick, why bother with something more than a pliars?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts