Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read bad reviews about silca, and my nashbar is not working.
What do you recommend, and how long do they last, can they be repaired?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I love my Silca Super Pista

Had it for years. Indestructable. The best thing is that all the parts are replacable. I change out the rubber gasket in the Presta head about once a season and it just keeps going and going.

Not the cheapest, but it works great and lasts forever. Sort of like Campy. Oops. Sorry I said that... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Silca have unconfortable, unconvenient valve. But pump is masive. My friend have Silca 3 years, and is satisfied.
I have Beto whit alu tube. Is very chip. Max presure: 11 atm.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Get the Silca

I've had mine since '78. I've replaced the hose twice, the leather gasket and the rubber washer every year or so. I can't seem to use the new pumps with the heads that lock/unlock/leak.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
If you are a serious rider, you will check your tire pressure often. If you use ultralight tubes and tires, you will need to pump them more often, that is kind of the nature of thin tubes. Because of this, you will frequently pump your tires which will wear out the seal on the pump head. If you go ahead and drop the money on a Silca, you can replace the parts that wear. I have a super pista and a cheap schwinn pump. The schwinn has a dual head that is only good for schrader valves now because the presta side is worn out. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
712 Posts
silca pista, no need for super pista. anything else is gonna end up scrap. silca goes the distance, to not believe this is pure inexperience.

cthomas said:
Had it for years. Indestructable. The best thing is that all the parts are replacable. I change out the rubber gasket in the Presta head about once a season and it just keeps going and going.

Not the cheapest, but it works great and lasts forever. Sort of like Campy. Oops. Sorry I said that... :)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,404 Posts
Ditto 1985 . Finally replaced the leather gasket in 2004. Had to replace the .75 cent washer every year untill I started using threadless smooth valve stem tubes. Now they go at least 3 years. Original hose, but I had to cut off an inch when the hose cracked at the bottom of the pump.
Ps...Not for girlie men. If you have a worn out rubber washer, you may have to pump with one hand.

·
IndyFab girl
71 Posts
Not to rain on everybody's party here, but I've had a Super Pista for 3 years, have had to change the rubber washer at the head a year ago, and it looks like I have to replace that again and the leather plunger in the barrel.

It's not a big deal, and the pump works great otherwise, but I've found it to be not as maintenance-free as some people rave it is.

I'm looking to get an SKS Kompressor track pump, it got a first-rate review in Cycling Plus a while ago. Looks like it's only available through UK websites.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had my topeak Joe Blow (emergency replacement purchase) for 2yrs now - pump up the tires before every ride and I haven't had to replace any parts. It Gets my vote.

·
Registered
712 Posts
it is and they don't, but i think you obtain said knowlege with some kind of secret roadie handshake...

parts are readily available, excel sports boulder is good.

steel515 said:
Re Silca, how do you know how to replace the parts? Is it obvious? Does it come with instructions?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Floor pump.

My first floor and frame pumps were Silca, and I really liked them. Now I use the Specialized "Air Tool" (purchased at my LBS- Crazy Cat), and within 20 pumping strokes I get past 120 PSI, on a very steady base, and the gasket will not bust your air stems.
steel515 said:
I read bad reviews about silca, and my nashbar is not working.
What do you recommend, and how long do they last, can they be repaired?

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Grumpy hit on a good point. If you continue to run threaded stem tubes you'll wear out the rubber gasket quicker. I use nothing but Michelin tubes which have a smooth stem and the gasket has lasted for 5 or 6 years now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I used a Silca for years and still have it around. However it slowly developed a problem, the numbers got more and more blury every year! I finally had to buy a Specialized pump that had numbers that were sharper. Oh, the gauge happens to be at the top of the pump.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts