Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to get a foam roller - looked on Amazon and there's a bunch if different sizes, some smooth some not. I want one for my hip flexor but would like to be able to use one for hamstrings and quads etc if possible. Any suggestions on what to look for?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Want to get a foam roller - looked on Amazon and there's a bunch if different sizes, some smooth some not. I want one for my hip flexor but would like to be able to use one for hamstrings and quads etc if possible. Any suggestions on what to look for?
Mine is 36" and 6" thick. It's smooth. It works great, I have nothing to compare it to though... It was cheap... Like under 20. It's just white and solid, no texture or different densities... Simple and effective.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I have a hard time getting my hip flexor with my foam roller. I use "The Stick" more than anything. Amazon.com: The Stick - Roller Massager: Health & Personal Care There are rollers like it with lumps but I find the smooth rollers message muscles better.
I was wondering that very same thing... Roller will help with large muscle groups that it can access... And it WORKS! But it's pretty broad spectrum so to speak... Hip flexor? I don't think so...

Srode, check out Mark Verstegens Core Performance. He has a ton of great stuff on hip flexors... I know I recommend that book a lot, but it's good stuff and based on research, not anecdote or fads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have 2. I've been rolling with a Trigger Point Grid Roller for over a year now. Quality stuff. I go with the gnarly RumbleRoller Compact X-firm first to work out the tough spots and finish up with the Trigger Point. I prefer the compact smaller rollers. They work just fine, you don't have to have the long 24-36" models. The small ones are easier too use in tough spots like Psoas, inner thigh, neck area, etc. I also have a 24" model I got from Costco that does okay but my go-to are the two mentioned above. The majority of my riding is singletrack MTB so I get a great deal of use out of these. I'm forced to or live in pain. You can take the small ones with you. On trips away from home, I have a shell and BedRug on my truck. I can crawl in and get a good stretch and roll right after a long ride. Makes recovery so much better.

Look to Youtube for roller use. There are few muscles that can't do. There are a lot of creative ways to use and you get a good stretch and work out doing just that!

Avoid the "pool noodle" type foam rollers. They're have a place and are cheap but in the grand scheme of things, they offer very little effect once you get going with this. You need to work with the rollers that inflict a bit of pain. They actually work!

https://www.tptherapy.com/product/GRID_FoamRoller

RumbleRoller foam rollers

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I just went with the one with the best reviews on Amazon at the time. Nothing fancy but does the job just fine. It was about $15. I didn't end up using it as much as I planned to.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, ordered 'the stick' and a 6" white roller, will try them out Tuesday night. I'm going to check out the core performance book too. I have Core advantage book which might have something on the topic too, haven't made it very far in that book yet.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Thanks guys, ordered 'the stick' and a 6" white roller, will try them out Tuesday night. I'm going to check out the core performance book too. I have Core advantage book which might have something on the topic too, haven't made it very far in that book yet.
I have Core Advantage. I'm not a fan of the book. Verstagen really understands the material and his suggestions are very clear and easy to implement. I struggled to get into Danielson's book because it's muddy and the workouts are poorly described. If I was editing that book my head would blow off. The content is decent, it's just put together terribly.

Reactions: Srode

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have Core Advantage. I'm not a fan of the book. Verstagen really understands the material and his suggestions are very clear and easy to implement. I struggled to get into Danielson's book because it's muddy and the workouts are poorly described. If I was editing that book my head would blow off. The content is decent, it's just put together terribly.
Probably why I didn't get to far with it - I did the first few sets of routines and didn't get any further. It helped me activate my glutes more though. Looking up 'Core Performance' up on Amazon now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just as a warning if you haven't heard. Foam rolling can be very painful :D. There are ways you can reduce the pressure when first starting and eventually start to fully weight whatever you're working on. On sore muscles "the stick" can be extremely painful but you can just start with light pressure and increase as the muscle loosens up.

The smooth roller is great to start with but for me it hasn't been doing much anymore. I think I need to step up to the rumble roller that Oh My Sack suggested.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,289 Posts
I was wondering that very same thing... Roller will help with large muscle groups that it can access... And it WORKS! But it's pretty broad spectrum so to speak... Hip flexor? I don't think so...
There are things you can use to get at spots that can't be rolled (by oneself, or at all). The Thera Cane is one example. With that, you can pretty much get at any spot, even very deep spots.

I don't use rollers or that thera cane, but I know people who swear by them both.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I use the Grid. I first got rolled out by the physio at the pilates studio my wife worked at. Started off using blue foam rollers but these crush down and soften over time. It may be the way to start initially but once your faschia gets acquainted to the process, you might try something harder. I like the grid and use it everyday when I'm not traveling.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I use The Grid every day too. Quality roller, still going strong after a couple of years. Used to hurt like hell, which is a good sign that it's working!

Envoyé de mon XT1563 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I started with a basic black foam roller but found that it slowly was being deformed and was less effective as time went on. I now use the Grid roller and love it. As someone else warned, it can be a bit painful to use until you get into a regular rolling routine!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a pre-cut section of 5" or 6" PVC pipe, wrap a layer of KT tape around it and you have a very effective and hard roller. My PT worked me up to that level and man is it painful but it works great.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a pre-cut section of 5" or 6" PVC pipe, wrap a layer of KT tape around it and you have a very effective and hard roller. My PT worked me up to that level and man is it painful but it works great.
+ 1. This is what I use as well. I got tired of buying the expensive foam rollers after they wore out. I have even cut a couple 2' lengths of 4" ABS pipe that I use for when I am travelling.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the 6 inch white roller showed up - yep it hurts!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.