Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend rejuvenate his old shogun road bike. What tool do we need to access and lube this freewheel? Thanks! Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Gear Rim Spoke

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Once again, looks like a freehub and a cassette, NOT a freewheel. An old Uniglide one, at that. What is the problem? Remove the cassette, then remove the freehub with a 10mm (or maybe 11mm) hex wrench about an inch down the tube (occasionally accessed only from the opposite end, loosened backwards).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once again, looks like a freehub and a cassette, NOT a freewheel. An old Uniglide one, at that. What is the problem? Remove the cassette, then remove the freehub with a 10mm (or maybe 11mm) hex wrench about an inch down the tube (occasionally accessed only from the opposite end, loosened backwards).
i'm not familiar with older style freehubs i guess. no lock ring so i assumed it was freewheel. i stand corrected. didn't really need the snark though......

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,181 Posts
If that is indeed a uniglide then the smallest cog screws on. You'll need two chain whips to remove the cassette. One to hold the cassette and one to unscrew the smallest cog. As far as removing the freehub itself, I believe no time was correct, 10mm hex wrench.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Wow...$45 for a small piece of tool steel? Yikes.

BTW, perhaps I was a bit abrupt, but this is the third post exactly like this I've seen in the last 3 months; I thought it might be a 'troll post"...

Anyways, yes, you will need 2 whips to get the cassette off. I see only 6 cogs, so this is early UG, likely with the old raised splines in the center. These weren't made for very long, and there are probably few choices for replacement left. If it were a 7 speed hub, you could easily upgrade to HG.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I'm helping a friend rejuvenate his old shogun road bike. What tool do we need to access and lube this freewheel? Thanks! View attachment 319891
You can tell by the splines its a cassette and freewheel body. Hey, what happened to the lock ring? Put it back on, dribble some oil through the freewheel mechanism, and go with it until the cogs wear out.

Those old 7 or 8 speed cassette bodies are still available, aren't they?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob you were correct, that was the needed tool. I got everything apart and lubed and back together. Everything is moving smoothly and I don't think he will need to replace anything.

Notime, sorry, was a long day, may have been a bit touchy.

Fredrico, yes I didn't realize I was looking at aplines, thought it was "teeth" for a removal tool. Learn something every day. As stated above, the smallest cog actually locked everything together.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i really hate those types of old rear clusters. i've had four or so from early '80s univegas and shoguns.

the one nice thing is you can overhaul the hub without needing to remove the cluster. but the downside is you cannot easily replace it with a new freewheel without replacing the hub. (similar to helicomatic hubs.) the hubs can also be difficult to adjust.

if it were a keeper and primary mode of transportation, i would replace the hub and freewheel, keeping the rim only if it's in top shape and matches the front one.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
You can tell by the splines its a cassette and freewheel body. Hey, what happened to the lock ring? ......
Those old 7 or 8 speed cassette bodies are still available, aren't they?
Yes, I can tell. All the splines are equal, hence, it's a Uniglide.

There is NO lockring on a Uniglide, just the threaded first cog (hence the need for 2 chainwhips).

This is a 6-speed, so it's even older, and most likely uses the OLD internal-spline setup, NOT the newer outside spline. Finding an old freehub of THAT type is about as rare as a hen's tooth right now, BUT you CAN fit a newer 7-speed hyperglide body on the original spline-base (and would likely need to re-dish the wheel, and maybe change a spacer or 2...).

Frankly, I don't think the OP has the knowledge or tools to do this. So, just pull it , soak it in kerosene, and see if that frees it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts