The bike:
2008 Trek 1.5

Current Group:
(Stock)
Front Dr-Sora
Rear Dr-Tiagra
Shifters-Sora STI
Crankset-FSA Vero 50/34
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The considerations:

1. Shimano Ultegra 6600 Front
2. Shimano Dura Ace Fd-7803 31.8 Clamp

They are the DA's and the Ultegra is only separated by $5.00
The add says (for the DA's) "triple only".
Does this mean that I can't use it with my double crankset?

I want the better Fr Dr.

I'm automatically thinking Dura Ace.
For only $5. more, it's a no-brainer.
Is it the right choice?

Do any of you know if it'll fall in line with my current stock group?
I'm planning to get a DA Rear Derailleur later on.

·
RoadBikeRider
907 Posts
there's your answer

If you are using a double crank, should probably get the Ultegra..based on the info you give.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
You won't notice any difference between the two. (for doubles, that is)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Why?

Peanya said:
Yeah, I'm scratching my head as well why you would want to replace perfectly good derailleurs. If you're not thrilled with how your shifting feels, most likely it's because of the serviceable, but not all that precise Sora 9-speed shifters. If I felt the burning need for an "upgrade," I'd save my money for a full Shimano 105 10-speed group for the time when you'll see some wear on the original equipment.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andulong said:

If you are using a double crank, should probably get the Ultegra..based on the info you give.
I noticed that too.

I've read that it could be used, but that there would have to be several mods made to the drivetrain in order to accomodate the DA crank totally blowing the cost savings away.

It looks like I'll either go with the Ultegra or ante up and go for the DA.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bluffplace said:
check out probikekit, they have the front Derailluer for less than $25
You are "not" my friend Bluff! :lol:

I was just on PBK looking for MTB Shoes, kept thinking about looking at the RB comps, but never got around to it.

And now (thanks to you), oh crap, I'm going to spend some loot (again!).
Damn! I've been hitting the bike sites nightly since Spring brokeout here on Friday!

Wow...they have SL stuff @ niccce price!
I actually love the SL's look and prefer it to DA's.
But...I'll make the smart choice.

Question: How far off is the DA vs Ultegra SL in terms of performance?
(I know that it's been asked a ton of times, but while I have you guys here... :D )

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peanya said:
I've read/heard that so much.

Now, I'm going to go for the pair (fr/r Dr's).

So far, it's going to be the Ultegra SL set.

I thought about waiting until I got and upgrade bike and transfering it's Ultegra gear (like from a Madone) down to the 1.5,
but I can't wait until I get my uber bike to enjoy my current bike. I haven't had any real issues with my Dr's
(except for some minor adjustments), but I haven't put any real miles on them yet. I want to enjoy the Spring/Summer.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
wim said:
Yeah, I'm scratching my head as well why you would want to replace perfectly good derailleurs. If you're not thrilled with how your shifting feels, most likely it's because of the serviceable, but not all that precise Sora 9-speed shifters. If I felt the burning need for an "upgrade," I'd save my money for a full Shimano 105 10-speed group for the time when you'll see some wear on the original equipment.
Besides the fact that I've read (before I even bought my 1.5) that the Fr. Dr's were problematic
(something I experienced on my first test ride of a 1.2),
I've personally had the experience of having my Fr. Dr locking up.
I've adjusted it and so far, it's ok, but I know how I am on gear (hard).

Plus, I don't like the hard clanking and rough shifting of my drivetrain. I'm hoping that with a Dr upgrade,
this will be taken care of and I can enjoy my rides without that little aggravation.

Of course a 105 set was considered, but the Ultegras (to me in my research) seem to give the best bang for the buck,
seem to be remarkably close to Shimano's top of the line offering (Dura Ace) in performance and I actually love the SL's finish.
It just didn't make sense to me financially to go with a 105 set.

If I was going to upgrade only up to 105's, I could've just bought a new Trek 2.1/2.3 for about $400. more.
But then, I'd want to upgrade that to Ultegra or DA anyway (that's why the 1.5 was the best choice for me).
And if I was going to spend that much money on a 2.X Series Trek only to end up upgrading it to Ultegra anyway,
then I could've just bought a Madone.

As it stands now, for under $2K, my 1.5 will have a full Ultegra SL Group when I'm done with it,
Nuevation Wheelset w/Michelin Pro 3's and it'll come in weight-wise at in the low 16lb range (if not slightly under).
If I went full DA, the price would jump by another $500.

After having thought about it a lot, my bike is not a DA bike. A Madone would be. But not my bike.
I'd be totally happy with it with Shimano's mid-level group (with the little bling that the SL line brings in).

:)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
2ndGen said:
Sorry I wrote so much...I guess I was trying to convince myself too! :lol:
Hey, nothing wrong at all with writing so much about bike stuff. It's what we do here . . . :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts