Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, which one should I go with? My LBS is trying to convince me to go with an FSA SLK Compact (carbon) crank, but I've seen some bad ratings here. He claims it is because the people torque it too much, and this is why the arm gets loose.

I'm considering the FSA SLK Compact, the DA 7800 double, and the Ultegra double. What do you people recommend, and why?

I ride mostly on flats, but there are some hilly areas up north as well.

The rest of the setup is complete DA 7800

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an FSA SL-K carbon compact (172.5mm, 50x34) for sale, approx 1/2 retail. Includes everything needed for installation & maintenance: megaexo BB (english treaded), wrench for external BB, new washers & o-ring, Loctite 641, 8mm hex bit (3/8-in driver) for torque wrench, torx driver for chainring bolts, instructions. PM me if you're interested.

·
Too Old to Run...
233 Posts
I would stay away from the FSA cranks or at least the BB. I had the SLKs (came on my R3) and began to have problems (creaking and clicking) around 1,400 miles. I've since learned that their BBs are trash. I ended up replacing them.

I've previously used Ultegra and DA without incident.

Don't let the carbon bling fool you.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Jrmccain said:
I would stay away from the FSA cranks or at least the BB. I had the SLKs (came on my R3) and began to have problems (creaking and clicking) around 1,400 miles. I've since learned that their BBs are trash. I ended up replacing them.

I've previously used Ultegra and DA without incident.

Don't let the carbon bling fool you.
Know what you mean! I have this ticking sound every time I down pedal left side. My SLK pedals came as stock items on my R3. 8000km later and it's still driving me nuts. I think I'll be saving my money and switching over to the Campy side this winter. My only question is Record or Chorus?

·
Too Old to Run...
233 Posts
MG537 said:
Know what you mean! I have this ticking sound every time I down pedal left side. My SLK pedals came as stock items on my R3. 8000km later and it's still driving me nuts. I think I'll be saving my money and switching over to the Campy side this winter. My only question is Record or Chorus?
For what it's worth, I went with the Record group and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I finally got fed up enough with the problems I was having with my SL-K/MegaExo that I replaced it with an Ultegra SL compact. It's been great. If you want a compact, I'd recommend the Ultegra SL, or RED, or Campy over the SL-K.

If you don't need a compact, go with the Dura Ace. I have one on a different bike. I really like it.

I've since learned that their BBs are trash.
And I even fell for the "why not try the ceramic bearing FSA MegaExo BB; it will last longer." Just like clockwork, it also crapped out at about 3,000 miles. Talk about a colossal waste of money. Just checked my DA BB at 3500 miles; still feels and spins as well as it did when I installed it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a carbon SLK Megaexo whatever. The only reason I got it is b/c there was no compact Dura Ace. Having tried both, from my point of view, DA shifts better.

To be fair, after a few minor adjustments to the SLK (like the bolt on the left side coming loose a couple of times) its performed flawlessly for the last 6000Ks.

cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.