Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trying a pair of LG bibs. I've read nothing but good things on the Neo Power bibs, but today at the store I tried on the Carbon Gel Bib Short which was really comfortable. Of course they didn't have the Neo to try on. I've worn nothing but Santini and MS Tina which I really like, but am looking to try something different, plus my retailer stopped carrying Santini.
I am buying from Performance cause I have a gift card so I am just looking for advice on LG. Thanks.

· Registered
336 Posts
I have LG bibs. Love them. Don't own any other brand, since these work so well for me.

Just looked -- my last order was for Neo Power bibs. Only thing I don't like about them is they don't have a pocket on the thigh (my first pair of LG bibs has this). Minor, tiny, speck-like thing.

Get them. you'll be happy.

· Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so these just came in the mail. I'm severely disappointed. The pad is the equivalent of two squares of toilet paper on top of each other. Do I still try them or send them back? I'm used to a gel pad.

· AKA Old Man
598 Posts
maximum7 said:
Ok, so these just came in the mail. I'm severely disappointed. The pad is the equivalent of two squares of toilet paper on top of each other. Do I still try them or send them back? I'm used to a gel pad.

Keep them and buy a gel saddle cover :p

I love mine, especially the no leg gripper thing... I did get a chafe on the right side, but DZ Nutz cured that instantly... The only thing I do not like is the amount of sweat that collects in the pad. I may try the carbon bubs next...

· Registered
339 Posts
@maximum7

Return them, get a set of Assos FI. Unos. I got mine a few years ago and have been an Assos fanatic ever since. Haven't purchased any non-Assos bibs since then. In fact, 5 out of my 7 sets of bibs are Assos. The other 2 are Performance Bike and Giordana.

· Registered
336 Posts
Gel pads suck. Honestly. I had a pair of shorts with one and really had troubles on a long ride. Gel will not breath, keeping all that moisture in there. DON'T DO IT!

Try the bibs. I have not had an issue with mine, even when riding for many hours with the sweat just rolling off. I also use Chamois cream, but just a touch on the two critical areas.

Your butt many need to harden up. Just give it a few rides.

Not one to yell PRO -- but if Gels were the thing to wear, wouldn't logic say that all the pros would be using gel pads? There IS a reason most of us don't use it. Try the LGs.

· Registered
170 Posts
Second the Assos

I've tried to make myself like LG shorts (I like their jerseys), but their chamois feels like a diaper. I got Assos instead and it feels/looks awesome. It's like riding naked, except legal.

EDIT (Freudian typo) - For those of you who saw this post before the initial edit, yes, I said "I'd like riding naked" instead of "It's like riding naked." Think what you will.

· Registered
6,326 Posts
agree

DesnaePhoto said:
Gel pads suck. Honestly. I had a pair of shorts with one and really had troubles on a long ride. Gel will not breath, keeping all that moisture in there. DON'T DO IT!

Try the bibs. I have not had an issue with mine, even when riding for many hours with the sweat just rolling off. I also use Chamois cream, but just a touch on the two critical areas.

Not one to yell PRO -- but if Gels were the thing to wear, wouldn't logic say that all the pros would be using gel pads? There IS a reason most of us don't use it. Try the LGs.
I generally agree that gel chamois are ineffective. The purpose of the chamois is to protect against chafing, not to make up for a minimalist saddle or lack of butt conditioning. I suppose due to the popularity of minimalist/ultralight saddles many modern chamois offer a lot a padding but in many cases they do a worse job with chafing. I have used and do like the Santini TwistGel chamois but as one poster suggested it seems to retain heat a bit. I think you best bet is a highly elastic chamois with no seems and stitched in using fine threading

· AKA Old Man
598 Posts
DesnaePhoto said:

I was joking about the gel saddle cover :D

· Registered
39 Posts
DesnaePhoto said:

Not enough padding? Here's the cure: HTFU

Love,

Ocho

· Banned
1,844 Posts
DaveG said:
I generally agree that gel chamois are ineffective. The purpose of the chamois is to protect against chafing, not to make up for a minimalist saddle or lack of butt conditioning. I suppose due to the popularity of minimalist/ultralight saddles many modern chamois offer a lot a padding but in many cases they do a worse job with chafing. I have used and do like the Santini TwistGel chamois but as one poster suggested it seems to retain heat a bit. I think you best bet is a highly elastic chamois with no seems and stitched in using fine threading

I had a pair of their carbon ion bibs w/ the gel pad and somehow it folded over on itself in one section. I was able to return them and I opted not to get a replacement.

· Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I sent them back and ordered the LG Alveo.
I generally agree that gel chamois are ineffective. The purpose of the chamois is to protect against chafing, not to make up for a minimalist saddle or lack of butt conditioning. I suppose due to the popularity of minimalist/ultralight saddles many modern chamois offer a lot a padding but in many cases they do a worse job with chafing.
This is not the case. I ride about >120 miles a week, 30-60mi a ride. I don't have a minimalist saddle. I don't have a chaffing problem.
The only reason I am trying these bibs is that I got a gift card to Performance and they are the only things that I sorta need. Everybody raves about them, so I thought I'd try.

I haven't had any of the issues stated above with a gel pad. But I don't see the point of even putting in a pad that compresses to the thick-ness of a sheet of paper. Until money grows on trees, I won't be buying Assos.
I'll try the Alveo's. It didn't cost me a dime, so no loss. Probably go back to MS Tina or Exte Ondo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.