Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new grill. I am not a "grill master". I don't care about smoking my meats. I just throw steaks, chicken and pork chops on, cook them and eat.

I had narrowed it down to the Broil King Signet 320 for $399
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Broil-King...0-000-BTU-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/1000004912

But then a local store has a Weber SP-330 on sale from $650 to $485.
https://www.doitbest.com/products/819378

The $399 was maxing out my budget, but I'm tired of replacing my grills every 3 years even though I cover them and clean them.

I know you pay for the Weber name, but it seems like a good deal as they are seldom on sale like that.

I'm leaning toward the Weber now because of readily available parts and accessories. Although I've heard that Broil Kings Customer Service is great too.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
40,806 Posts
Personally, I'd get the Broil-King, and a couple hundred dollars' worth of steaks to grill.

Looking at both, they're about the same innards, and I'm a fan of cast iron grill grates over porcelain.

Unless the side burner is important to you. It isn't for me, but YMMV.

I currently own a Weber, and a lot of folks like them, but my experience is that it's closer to an outdoor oven/roaster than a grill, because the burners are set a bit lower in the grillbox than other brands (presumably so fumbling backyard chefs would be less likely to incinerate countless hamburgers and whatnot), so the flame is a little slow for searing. It does a very good job on slower things, like ribs, though. It's also been a solid machine.

My 2 cents.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
Why do you replace them? What goes bad?

Do you clean the burner ports and vaporizer bar, or just the grates and box? Chances are you can replace all three for ~150 or so.

The broil king has hotter burners, which would do it for me, since low heat is always fine especially with 3 burners so you can go indirect heat.

Three years is average, btw. BUT that depends greatly on how often they are used and treated of course.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
My Weber is 20 years old. I have replaced the cast grates, flavor bars (with stainless) and last year replaced the wood slats on the side tables and lower shelf. It looks, and works, like new.

If the average grill life is 3 years, I am happy to have saved the land fill from 6 grills...and counting.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Same for me, mine is at least that old.
Mine sits outside year round with a cover. Granted I am in Fl, but my back deck is about 75' from a saltwater bayou and that environment can be pretty corrosive. When I need another grill, I won't look at anything but Weber.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
If the average grill life is 3 years, I am happy to have saved the land fill from 6 grills...and counting.
Average is not median. The average is dragged down by the high number of low end grills, basically.

83 percent of gas grills sold and 97 percent of charcoal cost less than $300. The average gas grills sells for $219, charcoal for $79 and electric $120.
http://static.hpba.org/fileadmin/factsheets/bbqFAQ.pdf

That industry document says the average gas grill IN USE is 4 years old. The 3 year number comes from consumer reports. The difference in the numbers is, of course, due to lots of grills crapping out early, and thus not being "in use".

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have a Weber Genesis 1000 i got new in the early 90's. I live in Conencticut and it sits outside all year round although the top part is covered with a tarp. I've had to clean it a couple of times but since I use it a couple of times a week, every week, no big deal. I replaced the cast, porcelain coated grates once. I replaced the regulator due to changes in the tank nozzle mandated by regulation. In short, I wouldn't buy a brand based on replacement parts as there's not much to go wrong. Durability and quality of construction combined with price would be important if I got another. If Broil King has been around and/or is well built, that's what I would get.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Weber, best grill we've ever owned. I think ours is about 15 years old and going strong. Replacement parts easily available at Ace hardware and they just work.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally, I'd get the Broil-King, and a couple hundred dollars' worth of steaks to grill.

Looking at both, they're about the same innards, and I'm a fan of cast iron grill grates over porcelain.

Unless the side burner is important to you. It isn't for me, but YMMV.

I currently own a Weber, and a lot of folks like them, but my experience is that it's closer to an outdoor oven/roaster than a grill, because the burners are set a bit lower in the grillbox than other brands (presumably so fumbling backyard chefs would be less likely to incinerate countless hamburgers and whatnot), so the flame is a little slow for searing. It does a very good job on slower things, like ribs, though. It's also been a solid machine.

My 2 cents.

My old grill never got hot enough to sear. One of the things I hate about it.
This Weber has an additional Searing burner and Stainless Steel grates...for only $85 more with the sale.
However, it sounds like I should go Broil King if I want a hot grill??

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I'd get the weber. I never see them going on sale. I have a Weber Genesis with an extra searing burner placed between the two of the three main burners. I can get that grill very hot and it'll sear a steak. Webers are expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you're buying a new cheap grill every three years, you'd be a lot of money ahead to buy a better grill that'll last a dozen years.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
My old grill never got hot enough to sear. One of the things I hate about it.
This Weber has an additional Searing burner and Stainless Steel grates...for only $85 more with the sale.
However, it sounds like I should go Broil King if I want a hot grill??
slow to get hot? not hot enough?
... which is why I bought a portable sized grill from Costco for $120 a couple years ago when my huge grill finally died after 10 years. The small size grill (like you see mounted in the cockpit of motoryachts) heats up much faster because the air volume is probably 1/6 as much as the large grill was. And it def gets hotter than the old grill, and this is with heavy stainless grills, not cast iron. Sears meat well. I added a fullsize tank adaptor, so the gas flow is very good. I figured this out as we had a yacht and was always impressed how much faster the little wee grill heated up, and seemed to get hotter - concentrating the same gas flow as a large grill into a small grill air volume.

In retrospect I find it very silly that most grills are utterly huge. The portable will do eight steaks at once. bah

Down South I have a normal size (ie too huge) grill by broil King. It has cast iron grill grates, and they do perform searing very well. Harder to clean though. Heck I only have one side of the grill assembled it is so huge. Have to wait 20 min to heat up, instead of 5 min for the portable.

Tanks last 2-3x as long with the portable.

I see they're selling the portable style small grills on pedestals nowadays too.
like this

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Average is not median. The average is dragged down by the high number of low end grills, basically.

http://static.hpba.org/fileadmin/factsheets/bbqFAQ.pdf

That industry document says the average gas grill IN USE is 4 years old. The 3 year number comes from consumer reports. The difference in the numbers is, of course, due to lots of grills crapping out early, and thus not being "in use".
The OP said HIS average (mean) life of a grill is 3 years. Given his average, he would have over the course of 20 years likely owned 7 grills, with the last one still in operation. Yes, I took the liberty of assuming the other 6 that he deemed un-serviceable as a grill would have been put in a land fill. Perhaps he filled them with dirt, planted colorful annuals in them and arranged them around his property for all neighbors to enjoy, thus screwing up my "land fill" thesis completely.:)

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I have the Weber Spirit. It gets well over 525 degrees, it just takes a few minutes to get there. The heat is a lot more even than my old cheapie. I think I would buy the Weber just because it will most likely outlast the other brand and replacement parts are readily available.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
The OP said HIS average (mean) life of a grill is 3 years.

The OP also said $399 was maxing the budget, and that this was more spendy than previous grills.

Gave the average so the OP would know that his experience was not unusual, not at all.

Good for you for finding a grill that lasted for you, as you use it, and as you store it. Gas grilling is easy, if of far lesser quality than real grills produce in the hands of a skilled person, but I am sure you like it just fine.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
The OP also said $399 was maxing the budget, and that this was more spendy than previous grills.

Gave the average so the OP would know that his experience was not unusual, not at all.

Good for you for finding a grill that lasted for you, as you use it, and as you store it. Gas grilling is easy, if of far lesser quality than real grills produce in the hands of a skilled person, but I am sure you like it just fine.
The discussion here is for gas grills. The OP is open to a Weber that he found near his price range and is frustrated that his past grills have lasted about 3 years. Several here have commented on the durability and serviceability of Webers.

The implication that one cooking on a Weber gas grill cannot produce fine food is ignorant, but whatever.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
The discussion here is for gas grills. The OP is open to a Weber that he found near his price range and is frustrated that his past grills have lasted about 3 years. Several here have commented on the durability and serviceability of Webers.

The implication that one cooking on a Weber gas grill cannot produce fine food is ignorant, but whatever.
The thread is about gas grills? ORLY?!?!?! :rolleyes: Go read my first post.

Lesser does not mean bad, it means not as good. Try to pay attention to the words I use not the words you think I use. I used gas growing up, and it cooked things well. But...

Gas produces a wet heat, as water is a byproduct of its combustion. Google gas grills wet heat to see what effect that has. Just one example.

Now since I am not interested in further measuring of BTUs with you, have a nice day.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
My Weber gas grill sits outside under a cover and has done a good job cooking my food for 18 years and counting. We've replaced the flavorizor bars once. We use it 3, maybe 4 times per week on average. My only gripe is that the front heat tube thing doesn't get as hot as the rear, but I can sear steaks as long as I preheat it for a few minutes.

The Weber charcoal kettle gets used a few time per year (makes awesome pizzas, cold smoked steaks, etc.) and that thing must be 25 years old. We keep that in the garage when not in use.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
I cheaped out and bought a Broil King about 5 years ago. It's just about had it now. My neighbor bought a Weber the same year, and his is still in good shape. I'm buying a Weber next.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My first grill was a Thermos brand, I bought for $179. It lasted me 11 years. It was just a basic grill. The igniter went out after 1 month, and I replaced the burner once and the heat plates several times, but it got hot and worked well.

This last grill Is a Charbroil and after 3 years the frame and the case is in good shape, but the burner and heat plates are toast. I don't want to put another $75 into a grill I never really liked. Plus the gas station tells me every time I get propane, that the tank is expired even thought I got a new one from them last summer. I didn't keep the receipt so I can't prove it. Scammed.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
My first grill was a Thermos brand, I bought for $179. It lasted me 11 years. It was just a basic grill. The igniter went out after 1 month, and I replaced the burner once and the heat plates several times, but it got hot and worked well.

This last grill Is a Charbroil and after 3 years the frame and the case is in good shape, but the burner and heat plates are toast....
every time I get propane, that the tank is expired even thought I got a new one from them last summer. I didn't keep the receipt so I can't prove it. Scammed.
My experience was like yours, countless igniters, burners, grills etc over the years with cheap grills. We bought a Weber Genesis 5 years ago, use it almost daily 8 mos. of the year. Not a single problem. I would get a Weber.

Every time my tank expires ( I use 2, so one is always full) I take it to a place like Lowes that swaps empty for full. I make sure to get a tank that looks new with a date code far out in time. The person doing the swap doesn't care.
After that, get them filled at a local place that fills them with 20 lbs for $15. Usually the swappers only give you 15 lbs for like $19.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts