Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being rather new to training, Its time to step up to the next level and purchase a HRM. On one hand a wireless watch type with cadence and speed/mileage would have all the bells and whistles, but are they reliable? Am I better off with a basic wireless HRM? I know that the answer depends on my needs, but as a beginner, I'm not sure of my needs. So any input & advice is appreciated.

tks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hrm

Hi, I'm a little new to these monitors, yet I can pass on some of my research.
The Polar co. is the originator of the HRM and tend to keep the lead in research and products. Other companys have less expensive models, but you get what you pay for.

Garmin has tried to enter with some versions which keep track of your distance running/cycling. The Polar website has a moderate amount of info. Depending on what you are interested you can start from $100 and go up to about $400.

The F11 is a newer model. The 625 allows for both cycling and has a footpod to keep track of your running distance. All this can be down loaded to a computer.
What you do with the info. of course is important. There are many charts and recommendations for people depending on their exercise goals: ie sprints or ironmans or long rides.
Good luck

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
I've got a wirless polar with heartrate and my only issue is that in the Fall/Winter when using a headlamp the HID interferes with the wireless transmission. It's less interference the farther from the lamp but it can only go so far. Otherwise it's been fine. Next time I'll likely go with a Garmin 305 GPS altho I would think you run the risk on heavy cloudy days of getting inaccurate data.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been using the Polar F11 for about 6 months or so and I really like it. It does not interfere with my Cateye 7 wireless computer, and it also works well at the gym. If the gym equipment is "Polar Ready", the machine picks up your sensor. This is a must have if you plan to attend any "spin" classes (which I did to get in shape). The F11 is coded so you don't pick-up signals from those around you. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
995 Posts
You need a model that will give you average HR. Everything else is just nice to have. I have a Nashbar brand that works fine. From there you can go to the Polar 200 CAD($150), or the Polar 721 or 725($280-$320) with lots of bells and whistles, or the Edge 305 bundled with HR and cadence($280). I just got an Edge-great toy to play with and study ride on the PC, but a basic bike computer and basic HR monitor that will provide an average HR is all that is "needed". Now what I really "need" is a power meter-Power Tap SL Pro-a mere $1200 on an Open Pro rim!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use two types one a basic polar hrm with high and low limits

programmed in and a more complex hrm that tracks avg high,low and in zone performance also records time in each zone and carbs burned plus other data.the fancier hrm can be tricky to program but is great,after I got an idea of how I was performing I just usually use the simpler reading hrm.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Polar makes a wide range of units from basic to more features that you will likely ever use/need. I have a 520 that has been very servicable for the 3 years I have had it. However, if you want a HRM that will transfer data to your computer for review or future reference, I would steer clear of the Polar units that transfer through the "soniclink" (like my 520 and similar units) feature as I have found it very difficult to get the data to transfer reliably. The 700 series units use an infrared link which may work better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
PaleAleYum said:
Being rather new to training, Its time to step up to the next level and purchase a HRM. On one hand a wireless watch type with cadence and speed/mileage would have all the bells and whistles, but are they reliable? Am I better off with a basic wireless HRM? I know that the answer depends on my needs, but as a beginner, I'm not sure of my needs. So any input & advice is appreciated.

tks
www.suuntot6.com

·
Registered
53 Posts
i recommend the polar 200 cad. its functionality is more than sufficient and its very user-friendly. it also can be mounted on either the stem or bars. i frequently ride in the early morning with a light and i've never had a problem with interference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.