Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about making the switch from Cannondale to Specialized. Been looking at the 2010 or 2011 SL3 framesets. Any major differences in model years other than prices. Just curious its between a supersix himod 1 and the sl3. The specialized frames seem to be more available. I love the carbon fiber color on the SL3 also. Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
The fork is a little different on the 2011. I have the 2010 and rode them both at a demo day here in town.

I could not notice a difference. I love my 2010 SL3....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. Just curious if the frame sizing runs alot different than what I'm used too. I'm 5'11" and currently ride a 56cm. Whats your size of your frame and your height. By the way the SL3 looks great. Probably could get a better deal on the 2010 frameset I would think.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
826 Posts
Good info Mike. I also have a 2010 SL3 and have been wondering just what difference the new fork would make. I did not think it would be much difference. Frankly, I've been so pleased with the ride of mine that I am sure I would want any change.

·
3,494 Posts
I'm sure you know the difference, but be aware that the "SL3" name is used all the way down to the Expert level in the 2011 model year. So in the 2011 line-up it is specifically the S-Works SL3 that you want to compare against the 2010 SL3 (and not for example the 2011 Pro SL3 frameset).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Also, ALL 2011 SL3's will be the "standard" geometry. Some 2010 SL3's were available in a "team" geometry that had shorter head tubes and maybe slightly longer top tubes.

The versions of the SL3 that are below the S-Works will have different grades of carbon but will use the same mold as the S-Works. Gone is the SL2 mold (I believe).

I absolutely love my 2010 SL3. I've never been on a bike that is so light and comfortable yet so stiff and steady in the corners. By far the best bike I've ever had the pleasure of riding.

Cheers!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
shortyt said:
Thanks Mike. Just curious if the frame sizing runs alot different than what I'm used too. I'm 5'11" and currently ride a 56cm. Whats your size of your frame and your height. By the way the SL3 looks great. Probably could get a better deal on the 2010 frameset I would think.
To answer that question, we'd need to know what year/ model C'dale you're riding, because their (and most other brands) geo differs depending on model. So (as an example), a 56cm CAAD9 may not be comparable to a 56cm Synapse.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good point PJ. I'm currently on a 2008 six carbon six with everything upgraded including the fork. The bike actually feels pretty good after a pro fitting. I guess I should also point out that I would like to stay under 3500.00 dollars on a new frameset.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
shortyt said:
Good point PJ. I'm currently on a 2008 six carbon six with everything upgraded including the fork. The bike actually feels pretty good after a pro fitting. I guess I should also point out that I would like to stay under 3500.00 dollars on a new frameset.
I believe your Six is an '09. I don't think they were made in '08, but could be mistaken.

AFAIK, the geo for 2011 SL3 hasn't been published yet, but making the assumption that it won't change from 2010 and that you're going with standard geo (as opposed to team) the geo between the Six and SL3 in a 56cm is indistinguishable. I checked line by line and think you'll be hard pressed to tell a difference between the SL3 and your bike, assuming both are set up the same.

FWIW on the SL3 with team geo, standover drops by 1cm and HT length drops by 2cm's.

Lastly, you mention that you upgraded your fork. If it's only an upgrade in weight/ stiffness it won't matter, but if you changed the rake in the process, it changes trail (and in turn, handling) and that isn't reflected n the geo charts, so something to be aware of.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea your right its an 09. My mtb is an 08. Thanks for the info, of course I'll ride one first to make sure but at least I have some idea now. I've heard the SL3 is a very light frame and pretty stiff. This should be night and day compared to the six. Thanks!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
shortyt said:
Yea your right its an 09. My mtb is an 08. Thanks for the info, of course I'll ride one first to make sure but at least I have some idea now. I've heard the SL3 is a very light frame and pretty stiff. This should be night and day compared to the six. Thanks!
Definitely. Given the minimal differences in geo, fit and handling will be very close to the Six, but ride may differ somewhat.

·
Registered
177 Posts
shortyt said:

I am a bit goofy on my setup, I am 6' and have a 30" inseam, so I ride a 58 for my long torso.

I also ride a Team Geo frame, so it fits differently that a reg. geo frame. (not a ton, but a subtle difference).

I dont know if there is any 2010s left through the big S. probably get a good deal from a private seller that has to have the "newest" bike.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts