Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Everybody knows white bar tape is faster than black.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm over at my buddy's place tonight doing some wrenching. New cables, detail cleaning, the six-month drill ya know. And as I'm pulling off the old h-bar tape I realize that I didn't bring a new roll, so I'm going to have to head to the LBS Monday. I say, "I think I'll get white tape, because it's summer and besides everybody knows that white is the fastest color"

He gives me a look, and says, "no dude, black is fastest, just look at all the pro's, their bikes have black tape."

Yes, I know, he's an idiot, but he has a better garage setup than I do and better tools so I always bring the beer and we do the wrenching there.

So I say, "Bettini has white tape, you callin him slow?" No response. He pretends he didn't hear me. Actually he might not have heard me becuase he's a bit hard of hearing. Then I say, "Boonen and McEwen and Zabel and Cancellara are rockin the white tape, are they slow" and I know he heard me now because he puts down the wrench and goes to get another beer.

So what say you? Is white bar tape faster than black?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I use to hate white tape, now I have come around and love it. yes, it's gets dirty faster, but who cares. It's cheap enough to change out every 4-6 months or less. I change mine every 3 moths or 3,000 miles which ever comes first :D. Really, it's every 3 months.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just switched out the black tape on my Look 595 to white and I'm definitely faster now (though I do spend more time cleaning tape - so all that time saved going faster gets used up anyway)

Call it break-even

·
Super Moderator
41,445 Posts
jd3 said:
white is lighter, therefore faster.
Black is the absence of color, and therefore, lighter and faster, since you're losing weight of the color.

Some claim white is faster, because it reflects all the light back, while black holds the light, and is therefore heavier and slower. These people obviously don't get it.

It's a little-known fact that ultraviolet tape is faster than black or white, but no one makes it.

·
Super Moderator
41,445 Posts
wiz525 said:
Black is the fastest. White is even faster.
Hmm, your logic is seamless, as is mine, so in the spirit of compromise, and because I don't have the patience to do a decent harlequin wrap in cork (i.e., the fastest tape material known, even faster than carbon fiber), I'm going to wrap one side of my bars in white, and the other side of my bars in black.

So, do I wrap the white around the right side, or the left side?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Why does this have to be racial?

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
CleavesF said:
Why does this have to be racial?
Can't we all just get along? :D

White is definitely faster. I have two bikes, one with white bar tape, one with black. The bike with the black bar tape is four or five pounds lighter than the one with the white tape but both bikes are equally fast so the bike with the weight advantage loses some to the bike with the white tape advantage.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put on my new Specialized tape tonight. It's the $20 kind, supposed to magically absorb vibration or something. All I know is, it feeeeeeels greeaaaaat. Like terry cloth, it;s so soft and grab-able like Farrah Fawcett's boobies in that old poster. Mmm hmm I am so gonna roool the Tuesday nighter.

Btw, do not put black on one side and white on the other, you will spin out of control.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
For my buck, I would think that the white is the faster. Since black absorbs the heat, it gets softer... and when things heat they also expand, so theoretically having black bar tape would increase ones frontal surface area, and thereby increase wind resistance. Plus it will increase the heat transferred to your hands, and thus cause ones body to compensate and cool their hands. This could also make your hands slippery and hinder control.

On the other hand... white says OLD SCHOOL. No current racer types really like any of those dudes that want to be old school but still competitive. Anyone with white tape and 32h rims is just asking to be attacked only because the other riders on their new fangled plastic bikes want to be caught dead behind the guy on the Gios, or whatever that white taped bike was. You might as well have metal water bottles, dude. You will be attacked out of pure spite. Your pulls will be long and attacked.

I got a fantastic deal on some cool red tape. Does that make me a democrat? Is red tape somewhere in the middle? It would match some of the graphics on my bike, but is red tape more 80s or 90s? Im going for a sleek retro feel to compensate for my lack of 10sp components.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.