Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the miles pile up, what would be more comfortable -- the Scott CR1 Team or the Cervelo Soloist Team? I was about to pull the trigger on the Soloist when I saw the CR1 again and tried it again later. I liked testing both bikes, but I couldn't compare comfort much, and I think as a newbie, I'll be able to ride longer and train harder with a more comfortable ride.

Plus, when not training (will use it in between my run training and possibly for duathlons if I'm up to it), I'll probably end up cruising with a lot of non-road biker friends on more casual bikes.

Thanks!

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Tires and wheels will likely have a bigger influence on the smoothness of the ride than frame material. As will the rest of the contact points, such as saddle, handlebars, and shoe/pedal combo. As long as the frame allows you to get your body into a comfortable position, the material itself is less of a factor, generally.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
IMO considering the bikes you're listing and your definition of comfort, well... you should be looking at different bikes!

In general I agree with krisdrum's post, but we differ in that, as an example, you set up a Specialized Roubaix and a Scott CR-1/ Cervelo Soloist Team the same (wheels, tires, contact points), the Roubaix will be the more comfortable (using your definition) of the three. I'd include the new Madone and, to a lesser extent, the Spec Tarmac in those comparisons (meaning both would be more comfortable than the Scott or Cervelo). So IMO frame design/ materials matters.

BTW, you're absolutely right in saying that you'll be able to ride longer and train harder with a more comfortable ride, so whatever you decide get a real bike fit!!

· It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
WHich soloist? Carbon or aluminum. Neither the Soloist(alum is much worse) nor the Cr1 are comfortable. There is NO vertical compliance of the soloist with the aero tubes and seatpost and the CR1 monocoque construction along with short wheelbase makes it uncomfortable. If you must get a Cervelo go R3.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PJ352 - I tried a Roubaix once months ago before I started looking around seriously and it didn't seem to suit me. Strangely the CR1 did but I just found out a few forum threads about the CR1 shattering on a pothole so that kinda changed my mind. I'm actually just thinking of getting a six13 (it was the most comfortable frame I rode but I was still pretty fast on it), though I really like the bike shop where I can get the Cervelo.

dagger - I was looking at the aluminum Soloist. The R3's a bit out my price range.

Thanks guys...

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Thanks to more of you for chiming in. I must be hanging out here too much, as I seem to be towing the party line of "material doesn't matter". I somewhat agree in my relatively limited experience.

As far as position is concerned, I'm sure a Roubaix or R3 or RS would likely be more comfortable and back friendly while still being blazing fast.

The two models the OP listed are really race bikes, which can certainly have their pros and cons. Comfort usually not being a very high priority with that type of frame. So I was going more off the comparison of the two and the nuances, which to a relatively new rider would likely be lost and hence "material would make little difference". Obviously I could be way off base.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.