Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy some kreitler rollers, but I'm confused by the different sizes and the aluminum v. poly rollers.

What do I lose by buying the cheaper poly-cap rollers?

What is the best roller size for a broad range of training exercises? Can I just get the smaller rollers and use an easier gear?

Thanks

·
Censored by *********
1,397 Posts
I've got the Dyno-Mytes, smallest diameter with metal end caps. I can go from very little resistance in a low gear, so low that my heart is just a little elevated, to near unconciousness in my highest gear. The sweat pours off in buckets when I push myself that hard. If you want to use these rollers for spinning, that's not a problem so long as you have a low enough gear (I'm using a mountain bike with slicks, so I've got low gears aplenty). I start out in the middle chain ring and somewhere in the middle of the rear cogs.

I think all you give up with the poly-caps is long term durability. I can't comment on the reality of that since I don't own those. However, since all Kreitlers have a lifetime warranty, I'm not sure that there's any negative to them.

I started out loving rollers, but very quickly came to hate the monotony. The only way I can get through an hour long workout is with a good audio book on my iPod. The good news is that upwards of 800 calories an hour can be burned, and it doesn't hurt your body like running can.

Paul

what headwind said:
I'm going to buy some kreitler rollers, but I'm confused by the different sizes and the aluminum v. poly rollers.

What do I lose by buying the cheaper poly-cap rollers?

What is the best roller size for a broad range of training exercises? Can I just get the smaller rollers and use an easier gear?

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got the Poly-Lytes and am very pleased. The drums have a larger diameter than the Dyno-Mytes but a smaller diameter than the Alloys. For me, a Cat 4/5 racer, they've been perfect. I don't see any disadvantage, especially in the short term, with plastic end caps. If you want to know the best places to buy Kreitlers, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts