41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,290 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yes it's a good deal, but Litespeed since being bought out by ABG has had a notoriously poor record for customer service and warranty issues.

However the Motobecane with all Ultegra is a better deal because it saves you $600 over the Litespeed; see: Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Ultegra Road Bikes | Titanium Road Bikes | Roadbikes - Motobecane Le Champion SL Ti Or for just $200 more then the Litespeed you can get the Motobecane with all Dura Ace; see: Save Up to 60% OFf Shimano Dura Ace DA9000 Road Bikes | Titanium Road Bikes | Roadbikes - Motobecane Le Champion Team Ti

However if you're wanting an American made bike then expect to pay more, but I would get a Lynskey over a Litespeed due to all the complaints I've heard and the BS their posting on their website. Here is Lynskey best deal; see: https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/r140-with-shimano-105-5800.html
At Adrenalin Bikes they do have this Lynskey but they only have two sizes left so check your size; see: Adrenaline Bikes this bike with Ultegra is less then the Litespeed.
Thanks for your response. That is some good information.

While I did not initiate the "buy American" aspect of this thread, I do like to buy American products when I can. However, that is very hard to do, especially with bikes when just about all of the components and frames come from overseas. In any event, the "buy American" discussion should take place in another thread where we can all debate it to our hearts content. In my case, and for this purchase, let's assume it is not a consideration.

·
Music Man
967 Posts
Take your time and really think about:

1. Service after the sale. I've heard Motobecane has a history of putting on cheaper parts to cut corners and to save money. Sometimes, they make good on the problem, but there's no telephone support. It's email, and waiting for a reply.

Lynskey, on the other hand, is very responsive, both with online chat, and by the phone. Don and Mike are A+ when it comes to customer service and service after the sale. I have not heard anything good about Litespeed directly.

2. Frame construction and durability. I know Lynskey goes through great lengths to ensure they have a "clean" product, and go through a lot of extra steps to make sure the titanium isn't contaminated. I don't know anything about Motobecane manufacturing of Ti bikes, but they are all made overseas, and I'd question the QC factor. The welds on my R255 are very smooth and extremely well done. I wonder if that's the case for Motobecane?

I know service after the sale and honoring the warranty and getting the warranty honored is very important. I can honestly say, I have not had one problem with the bike at all. I had it completely assembled at a LBS. They even offered free tune up for a year. Great bunch of guys there too!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I never heard back from the email I sent Litespeed. I placed a call yesterday and I got their voice mail after I had to press a certain number to reach the sales department. No return call was made. So, I decided to do a "dealer search" and found a shop 2 1/2 hours away that deals with Litespeed. I asked if the Ti frames are made in the USA, and he told me "yes, in Chattanooga". I asked if he had any in stock, and he said "no", which is understandable. So, I wouldn't doubt if the "no compete clause" is now up, and I can certainly understand if the Lynskey family is upset.
The no-compete clause was over in 2007 when I was at the Lynskey shop. They were actively competing again and Mark Lynskey had left Litespeed and joined David and the rest of the family in starting up the Lynskey.

I bought my Litespeed Tuscany in August 2003 (they said it was their 2004 model) and at that time was available as a frame only. I think Mark was still running Litespeed as they were very responsive to my dealer and I stood beside him while he talked to a sales person at the factory. The dealer had sold, and was selling, a ton of Litespeeds at that time and was very pleased with Litespeed as a company. This same dealer dropped them a few years later after Mark Lynskey left Litespeed.

Fast forward to two years ago this dealer tried to contact Litespeed about a crash related repair to a Litespeed. A combined 10 attempts via phone calls and emails yielded only a single one sentence reply that someone would get back to him. But they never did. As other posters have said, Litespeed (management) is not the same company it used to be.

I'll bet the Ti craftsmen at Litespeed still build an excellent frame that anyone would be pleased to own. But I think ABG management has ruined the Litespeed name with a lot of dealers.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I know our largest LBS use to sell Lightspeed but dropped them as well around 2003 or 2004 due to issues they ran into with ABG, so they went with Serotta instead and now they to are gone, so now the LBS doesn't have a high craftsmanship bike, just the usual fare of Trek, Breezer, and a few Specialized and Salsa bikes

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for all of the info, especially about the customer service. That is disappointing to hear about Litespeed, but it looks like Lynskey has stepped in to fill the void.

I'm still looking and doing research. Adrenaline has a 2015 Sabbath Aspire which I can get built up with full Ultegra for just over $3400. Anyone know anything about Sabbath?

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Thanks for all of the info, especially about the customer service. That is disappointing to hear about Litespeed, but it looks like Lynskey has stepped in to fill the void.

I'm still looking and doing research. Adrenaline has a 2015 Sabbath Aspire which I can get built up with full Ultegra for just over $3400. Anyone know anything about Sabbath?
You need to call Adrenaline and speak to Matthew about Sabbath or others you may be interested in. When I spoke to Matthew he told me that some of those brands of TI bikes come out of China, I can't recall if Sabbath is one of them, so call and find out.

Regardless you know that the Lynskey TI frame is made in America and that alone would be worth considering.

·
Music Man
967 Posts
You need to call Adrenaline and speak to Matthew about Sabbath or others you may be interested in. When I spoke to Matthew he told me that some of those brands of TI bikes come out of China, I can't recall if Sabbath is one of them, so call and find out.

Regardless you know that the Lynskey TI frame is made in America and that alone would be worth considering.
+1 on that!!!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts