Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a Met helmet real soon an have it narrowed down to the Stradivarius or the Ippogriffo. They look very similar except the Strad has a couple more vents and the Ippo is a little less expensive. Does anybody have/had both and can tell me which they prefer and is the Strad worth the extra money.

Thanks,

MIke

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got the Ippogriffo and find that it's very effective, even on rides of several hours. I'm not sure if it's worth stumping up the extra cash for the Strad. There's around a $AU 100 difference here which certainly influenced my choice.

You might want to look at getting whichever one you choose from a UK retailer (try gbcycles.co.uk) as they seem to have good prices for both. Their range and service is good.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I've had a Strad for 4+ seasons

I went from a top of the line Giro of 1998 vintage whose name escapes me but was duly sacrificed in a crash. I've had a few Strads since then, changing primarily due to accidents.

For my shape and size of head, the MET's fit extremely well. The Strad's well vented and after a while, you really don't notice it. In fact, you feel incredibly secure wearing the thing. I bought an MET Element V last summer which is incredibly well ventilated but I would classify it as a summer only helmet.

Accidents in the Strad- #1 going 25 mph and then ramming a pedestrian (he survived) who was crossing against the light. Major endo, landing on my head! Helmet did its job although I felt like a turtle for the following week. #2 Swerving to avoid a truck that had come into my lane, ran flush into the back of a stopped car, Ford Fiesta at 20mph+. Again, the helmet took the brunt and again, no problems.

I'm a great believer in these helmets. While MET has elected not to go through the bother of obtaining CPSC certification as they do not wish to be exposed to US litigation, they are CE standard certified.

Your really can't go wrong with either choice but I've had nothing but great experience with the Strad.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
mfuchs said:
I am going to buy a Met helmet real soon an have it narrowed down to the Stradivarius or the Ippogriffo. They look very similar except the Strad has a couple more vents and the Ippo is a little less expensive. Does anybody have/had both and can tell me which they prefer and is the Strad worth the extra money.

Thanks,

MIke

I have a brand new one I was about to put on EBAY but would sell to you if interested. It's a silver colored MET Strad that was worn exactly once. It's a size Large. I would take 85 bucks via PayPal plus shipping.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Love my Strad....

Have had 2 in the past 3 years, about to get another soon. IMO the cost diffference is not huge between the 2 helmets and I personally liked the looks of the Stradivarius. Plus, when I bought mine in 2001 the Ippo had just come out and was harder to find.

Get the Stradivarius.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I like the Strad

mfuchs said:
Does anybody have/had both and can tell me which they prefer and is the Strad worth the extra money.
Thanks,
MIke
I only have the Strad and love it....but I see where Met's 5th Element is also available. for $100US + shipping....and I'll be buying more of the METs, now that GIRO is trying to compete with Lexus in pricing :( ....the Strad is available for about $86 new. Is there a source for the METs other than Europe??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.