Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone carry a netbook while riding? I will be doing some bicycle camping and touring soon, and would like to find a good, rugged, netbook to take along on my bicycle.

I'll be using the netbook mostly for journaling, uploading images to the web, e-mail, surfing. I want to be able to connect an external hard drive for backing up, and also would like to connect an external dvd/cdrw for watching dvd movies, or playing music cds. I won't be watching movies on the road!

I really don't want a regular laptop, but rather prefer a netbook, either 9 or 10 inch screen would be fine, with higher resolutioin, so I can fit more stuff on the desktop.

Battery life is important, so nothing less than 4-5 hours. 6-8 hours of battery life would be much better, especially since I may not be able to charge the battery everyday.

Weight is not really a huge factor for me. I would prefer a solid state internal hard drive, and at least one built-in card reader is a must!

Thanks.

- Riding 4 Life
http://vj4him.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is a couple that is using one of those Acess..or something like that..its been good for them.. They have a Canon D20 camera ? and a Canon powershot 870...down load everthing to the Acess..it did crash on them in china..but they got it fix and all the virsus off it..

.I think you need to also get some solar power thing for it..I am going to go with the HP notebooks for mine...or if apple can get that tablet out soon enough I would go with that..its like a ipod touch..just bigger...

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a first generation acer aspire one. 160GB/winXP/8.9" screen/1 GB RAM. i'm pretty happy w/ it. it's light weight and it actually fits pretty well in my 70 OZ. dakine hydration pack. there are so many good models out there now. i wouldn't spend more that $350 for a good 6-cell netbook so the rest is pretty much individual preference. if i were looking for one right now, the 2nd generation aspire one and MSI wind would be my top value candidates.

edit: if you have a 3G phone, find out how to tether and you can have some mobile broadbband, too. i love having my aspire one and iphone 3G when i'm in hotels and other location that don't offer free wifi.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Asus EEE

vja4Him said:
Does anyone carry a netbook while riding? I will be doing some bicycle camping and touring soon, and would like to find a good, rugged, netbook to take along on my bicycle.
I have no details or experience with the Asus EEE and so I don't know if the specs meet your requirements, but I recently reviewed a bunch of survey data from Adventure Cycling route users, and this was the most often mentioned small computer. Also mentioned was the mini Sony Vaio. Again, I have no details or experience.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acer or Asus?

I'm considering either the Acer or Asus. Saw the Acer today at Wal-Mart for $298. Amazing that they can pack so much stuff in a small netbook!

·
Registered
417 Posts
vja4Him said:
I'm considering either the Acer or Asus. Saw the Acer today at Wal-Mart for $298. Amazing that they can pack so much stuff in a small netbook!
I would get one with a real harddrive then just rip all of your movies to the HD. For backing up just use a thumb drive for other soild state media.
here is an acer with 10 inch screen, 160 gig drive and 6 cell battery for $350 add $50 for a backup solution and you are ready to roll

or a better deal here http://bensbargains.net/deal/96029/
Asus 160gig, 6 cell for $260

·
Registered
25 Posts
george costanza said:
while it's a pretty cool toy, it's no substitute for a fully functional computer.
Neither are most netbooks...

:)

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Asus

vja4Him said:
Again, just reporting the survey results. Asus.

·
Registered
37 Posts
eeblack said:
Neither are most netbooks...

:)
yeah, you're right. :) mine replaced my 14.1 notebook, though. i miss the higher resolution, bigger screen and optical drive but not that much. it was a sacrifice i was willing to make for a much more portable and light weight solution.

if i have to work on photoshop or CPU intensive projects, i've got my desktop.:thumbsup:

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
My wife just got an Asus 1000HE, 10" screen and advertised as 9.5 hours, probably 6 to 8 is more realistic. A bit heavier than others due to the batteries, but still only 3.25 lbs. Decent keyboard as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bwana said:
My wife just got an Asus 1000HE, 10" screen and advertised as 9.5 hours, probably 6 to 8 is more realistic. A bit heavier than others due to the batteries, but still only 3.25 lbs. Decent keyboard as well.
Just how much can that little netbook really do? What software does it come with? iTunes? What kind of photo software to use for loading, sorting, and editing images? What kind of word processor?

·
Registered
314 Posts
While it isn't a netbook, i have a Sony Vaio with a 10.6 inch screen. I bought it in 2005 and am still using it. It has held up well despite the abuse it gets. I travel worldwide extensively. They are expensive, this one cost $2500 back then, but it was worth it. They have one similar now that has an 11 inch screen.

I edit photos, and have done video editing on it. Its only real downside is the fact it only has a 60 GB drive and the biggest replacement I can find right now is 120, since it uses a 1.8 inch drive like they put in the Ipod. I believe someone makes a 160 but it has a smaller cache and I haven't been able to find them for sale.

For what it is worth, most netbooks are actually more computer than we had just a few years ago and though they may be slower than a full sized computer, most people won't have an issue with that. The only thing you may have an issue with is the screen size.

I have a Blackberry as well and it is easy to tether with this computer since both have bluetooth. The Sony also has a SIM for use on AT&T although I never used it. The unlimited Blackberry plan is cheaper.

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
vja4Him said:
Just how much can that little netbook really do? What software does it come with? iTunes? What kind of photo software to use for loading, sorting, and editing images? What kind of word processor?
For $365 it doesn't come with anything other than win xp home. You can load your own software. You want more? Either buy a real notebook (which you will still have to purchase software for) or wait for the Mac netbook that will come out later this year for a grand. Tom's hardware guide had a review of the 1000HE, they liked it. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-eee-1000HE,2168.html

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Consumer Reports has offered a couple pieces on netbooks recently. Acer and Asus both ranked highly. I recently bought an Asus 904 based partly on CR's recommendation.

The 904 is a bit bigger than some netbooks (10.5x7.5x1.5) due to a big battery and a good sized keyboard, but it's still only 3.1 pounds. It runs XP, and seems fast enough for me... we'll see once I load up MS Office. WiFi was perfect right out of the box. And the 904 promises 4-7 hours run time per battery charge. Not bad for $310 shipped.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts