Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road: Ofmega CX quill style Campy Copies. These pedals look cool (black body, silver alloy cage) but over time the cage bends. In addition the bearings do not hold up too well (I have overhauled them twice). They wear unevenly and the races are pitted. Overall though I can't complain as I've had them 19 years and put a lot of miles on them. I use them with black plastic mountain clips and generic straps.

Mountain: Deore XT with powergrips straps. Still smooth as butter (can shimano be smooth as butter or is that reserved for campy only :) with no play in the axles. One of the rubber seals is missing but it hasn't caused any problems.

Someday I'll get some older Campy Nuovo or Super Record pedals. Other than that I'd love to have some Croce d'Aune pedals which have like 3 sets of bearings (different kinds too!). They're like $200 when you can find them I remember when Colorado Cyclist was selling them for $45 which included clips and campy leather straps! Then again I also remember when they had the last gen Dura Ace track style for $35.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
I had old 80's style three bolt toe clip platforms, but I kept having ankle problems because of my wide feet, almost half my foot hung off of the edge. I have since switched over to $15 mountain bike pedals and the pain has gone away.

·
Vintage bike and rider
156 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
Road: Ofmega CX quill style Campy Copies. These pedals look cool (black body, silver alloy cage) but over time the cage bends. In addition the bearings do not hold up too well (I have overhauled them twice). They wear unevenly and the races are pitted. Overall though I can't complain as I've had them 19 years and put a lot of miles on them. I use them with black plastic mountain clips and generic straps.

Mountain: Deore XT with powergrips straps. Still smooth as butter (can shimano be smooth as butter or is that reserved for campy only :) with no play in the axles. One of the rubber seals is missing but it hasn't caused any problems.

Someday I'll get some older Campy Nuovo or Super Record pedals. Other than that I'd love to have some Croce d'Aune pedals which have like 3 sets of bearings (different kinds too!). They're like $200 when you can find them I remember when Colorado Cyclist was selling them for $45 which included clips and campy leather straps! Then again I also remember when they had the last gen Dura Ace track style for $35.
I use Campy C-records platforms, Shimano 600 platforms, Shimano 105 platforms, and Campy Athena or Chorus platforms.

Ken

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
On my road bike, I'm using an ancient pair of KKTs with the quills filed off so's my big ole size 50 feet can hang over the edge.

On my ATB, I'm running an old set of Deore pedals. I tried SPD style pedals for a while, but given my utter lack of form on an off road bike, I frequently have to launch off the pedals with little or no notice.

Yours,

FBB

·
Registered
777 Posts
Road: Shimano 600 Ultegra PD-6400. Weird aero-style platform pedal that uses a weird look-compatible cleat with little tabs at the front. The tabs engage a little metal "wing" that doubles as the hold-down for the toe clip. The best pedal I've used, clipped or clipless. The only downside is that they're "cycling shoe only," except over short distances.

MTB: Shimano Deore XTIIs with PowerGrips. I've used PowerGrips on every MTB I've ever owned. I find them to be the ideal solution for foot retention on a mountian bike.

Touring: MKS GR-9 platforms with MTB-style clips and nylon straps. Just about the only true platform pedal still made. If you ride a bike in non-cycling shoes, or "touring" shoes, these are about the perfect pedal.

I switched to clipless on the road in 1988, and I've ridden a bunch of different designs. I went back to toe clips after scoring the Ultegras (I've always wanted a pair), and I find that I prefer them. If I went back to clipless, I liked Speedplays the best.

--Shannon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts