·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Which frame fits you better?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly they both felt about the same. I am new to road but not biking altogether I MTB a good bit so I realize my ideal fit may be different then some.

The bikes are the same frame size also.

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
If both bikes fit equally... both have 500mi... both are in the same condition..
The Specialized Allez is the better deal. Has better components and is running 9sp (the Defy is 8sp).

One thing to consider.. the Defy has a triple crankset. The Allez comes in a double and triple crank. Not sure which one the bike has and which you think you'd want.

I MTB a good bit so I realize my ideal fit may be different then some.
Your ideal fit will be ideal to your body. MTB'ing really isn't relevant to your fit. Many of us ride both. My MTB isn't set up anything like the road bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If both bikes fit equally... both have 500mi... both are in the same condition..
The Specialized Allez is the better deal. Has better components and is running 9sp (the Defy is 8sp).

One thing to consider.. the Defy has a triple crankset. The Allez comes in a double and triple crank. Not sure which one the bike has and which you think you'd want.

Your ideal fit will be ideal to your body. MTB'ing really isn't relevant to your fit. Many of us ride both. My MTB isn't set up anything like the road bike.
Thanks for the advice, it looks like it is the triple. Here is a picture:

https://images.craigslist.org/3Ee3G73Lc5F35Je5Mcd425f30ac156c6f1c08.jpg

Also last option besides buying one of these for 600. Should I go to a LBS and buy a fitted Trek 1.1 or a new Allez?

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Thanks for the advice, it looks like it is the triple. Here is a picture:

https://images.craigslist.org/3Ee3G73Lc5F35Je5Mcd425f30ac156c6f1c08.jpg
Good thing you posted that. It's not the Alum frame Allez! It's the 2005 steel frame version.
BikePedia - 2005 Specialized Allez Elite Cr-Mo Triple Complete Bicycle
05 Allez Elite Cr-Mo Triple

Also last option besides buying one of these for 600. Should I go to a LBS and buy a fitted Trek 1.1 or a new Allez?
Only you can make that decision. Not all LBS's are good at fitting. But you also get the advantage of a new bike and warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good thing you posted that. It's not the Alum frame Allez! It's the 2005 steel frame version.
BikePedia - 2005 Specialized Allez Elite Cr-Mo Triple Complete Bicycle
Specialized Bicycle Components

Only you can make that decision. Not all LBS's are good at fitting. But you also get the advantage of a new bike and warranty.
Is the steel frame better or worse? I honestly have no idea.

Edit: Also I always hear that the fit is the most important part of buying a bike and I honestly can never tell if a bike fits me or not. I have tried many mountain bikes and they all seem like they fit if they are around a 19-21. Maybe I am still too new to understand the feel.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Is the steel frame better or worse? I honestly have no idea.
I own both steel and aluminum bicycles. If I had a choice between an aluminum framed bicycle with 2300 and a chromoly steel framed bicycle with 105, and the components are in decent condition. To me, that's a no brainer. I'm going steel all the way. I'm more concerned about the service life of the bike, more than speed.

Aluminum bike service life is use dependent. That means, the more you cycle, the less service life remains. Steel will most likely last for many decades, if kept dry, regardless as to how often you cycle.

Also, some aluminum and steel framed bikes are really close in weight anyways...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I own both steel and aluminum bicycles. If I had a choice between an aluminum framed bicycle with 2300 and a chromoly steel framed bicycle with 105, and the components are in decent condition. To me, that's a no brainer. I'm going steel all the way. I'm more concerned about the service life of the bike, more than speed.

Aluminum bike service life is use dependent. That means, the more you cycle, the shorter its service life becomes. Steel will most likely last for many decades, if kept dry, regardless as to how often you cycle.

Also, some aluminum and steel framed bikes are really close in weight anyways...
Thanks for the advice. Last question -- would you prefer this 05 Allez elite or a 2013 Allez Comp brand new with a warranty?

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Last question -- would you prefer this 05 Allez elite or a 2013 Allez Comp brand new with a warranty?
Ride them both and see which you prefer.
Only you can decide if the warranty is of value to you.

One thing I'd be leary about with the 2005 Allez is that it actually has 500mi on it. While possible, it's hard to believe someone had the bike 7 years and only rode it 500mi. Do you know how to measure chain wear? It's a good way to see how honest the seller is. At 500mi, the chain should have no wear.
Slow Riders- now even slower: Measuring Chain Wear using a 12-Inch Ruler

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ride them both and see which you prefer.
Only you can decide if the warranty is of value to you.

One thing I'd be leary about with the 2005 Allez is that it actually has 500mi on it. While possible, it's hard to believe someone had the bike 7 years and only rode it 500mi. Do you know how to measure chain wear? It's a good way to see how honest the seller is. At 500mi, the chain should have no wear.
Slow Riders- now even slower: Measuring Chain Wear using a 12-Inch Ruler
Here is a link to the ad:

Specialized Allez Elite

I am a little hesitant to buy this bike now because of the fact that I am a terrible judge about how used a bike is. I really want the 105 parts though, so it is a very hard decision on what to do. Of course 2 days ago my plan was buying a $300 used bike just to get into road biking and now the budget is creeping around 800-900 for a new one.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
From experience, I've learned to be sorta partial to chromoly steel. You can upgrade the bike over and over again for decades. If you started out with 9 speed Sora in the beginning, you can end up with a 10 speed 105 later, with the same frame, all freshly powder coat painted and looking just like a brand new bicycle some decades later. The frame will be just as sturdy and/or flexible as the first day you bought it.

If the frame is damaged near the tube ends or a tube gets cracked, you can have a welder repair or replace a tube. That's not so easy with aluminum...

Therefore, to answer your question, if I had a choice between a brand spanking new aluminum framed bicycle, complete with 2300 components and a warranty, that fit me just as perfectly as a chromoly steel framed bike without any warranty, I'd take the 105 equipped chromoly steel frame bike without any hesitation and save some money to boot!

Of course the paint on the chromoly steel Allez would have to be almost perfect too!

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Here is a link to the ad:

Specialized Allez Elite
Hmmm Pic #7 looks like there's tears on both sides of the seat. I wonder what thats from? A seat from another bike? Dropping the bike many times on the ground? Not normal wear and tear in 500mi.

I am a little hesitant to buy this bike now because of the fact that I am a terrible judge about how used a bike is.
Check the link I provided. Measuring chain wear isn't hard. I always take a ruler with me if looking at a used bike.
Beyond that all you can do is look for nicks, scratches, dents, etc and obvious things like broken welds. Also spin the wheels and see how true they are. A bike with 500mi shouldn't show any of these things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From experience, I've learned to be sorta partial to chromoly steel. You can upgrade the bike over and over again for decades. If you started out with 9 speed Sora in the beginning, you can end up with a 10 speed 105 later, with the same frame, all freshly powder coat painted and looking just like a brand new bicycle. The frame will be just as sturdy and/or flexible as the first day you bought it.

If the frame is damaged near the tube ends or a tube gets cracked, you can have a welder repair or replace a tube. That's not so easy with aluminum...

Therefore, to answer your question, if I had a choice between a brand spanking new aluminum framed bicycle, complete with 2300 components and a warranty, that fit me just as perfectly as a chromoly steel framed bike without any warranty, I'd take the 105 equipped chromoly steel frame bike without any hesitation and save some money to boot!

Of course the paint on the chromoly steel Allez would have to be almost perfect too!
The only thing I worry about is that the seller is lying about the mileage as some things that tlg has point out seem odd. If I had to replace the cogs/chains/brakes/wheels etc this would end up costing a lot more than the new bike with lesser equipment. I may have to flip a coin :mad2:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The only thing I worry about is that the seller is lying about the mileage as some things that tlg has point out seem odd. If I had to replace the cogs/chains/brakes/wheels etc this would end up costing a lot more than the new bike with lesser equipment. I may have to flip a coin :mad2:
Tell 'em that you'd like to take the bike for a test ride. Ride it to the nearest bike shop and pay a few bucks to have it checked out. Have the LBS list what the bike needs. Then deduct whatever repair costs, from the already negotiated and haggled down price. No matter what, I wouldn't pay over $500 for that bike!

Are you even sure about the year?

Go to bikepedia.com to make certain. You can usually tell by the components and the color, if the bike is consistent with the year given.

Calculate how much the bike should cost for yourself:

How Do I Calculate The Cost Of A Used Bicycle? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Even if you use a ten year life span you're getting corked, if the original price was $1300 back in '06.

1300/10 = $130 Now 7 ($130) = $910

$1300 - 910 = $390

Nobody really considers the components that much on a used bicycle, if the components aren't brand new themselves.

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
The only thing I worry about is that the seller is lying about the mileage as some things that tlg has point out seem odd. If I had to replace the cogs/chains/brakes/wheels etc this would end up costing a lot more than the new bike with lesser equipment.
I wouldn't worry so much about the brakes and wheels. They'll last for thousands of miles.

Drivetrain wear would only be chain, cassette, and maybe chainrings. Not too pricey on a 9sp setup, but it's something you'd want to know going into the deal. If worn, I would negotiate the price down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just want to say thanks guys, sorry for all the stupid questions I just want to be sure I am getting my monies worth. I think I am going to go with getting the 05 Allez unless it is just unbelievably worn down. I got him down to $580 which I think is a pretty good deal. Hopefully it will end up being an awesome bike :)

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
The other part is.... the Allez is more of a race frame bike.

The Defy is a "endurance/relaxed" geometry bike. The real difference would be the Allez would be more responsive to inputs than the Defy.

Which... to the Defy isn't a bad thing, which it trades that responsiveness for some longer haul comfort.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Skimmed the thread, but I have to say that IME if a bike's chain measures fine and the bike shifts smoothly, the drivetrain is in good shape.

Looks very clean. Even the patch on the top of the right chainstay. I'd bet that all 500 miles were in the same season, and then it sat in the garage. Scuffs on the saddle could be from storing it leaning against something all the time. I think that's the original saddle. My mother has that bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Skimmed the thread, but I have to say that IME if a bike's chain measures fine and the bike shifts smoothly, the drivetrain is in good shape.

Looks very clean. Even the patch on the top of the right chainstay. I'd bet that all 500 miles were in the same season, and then it sat in the garage. Scuffs on the saddle could be from storing it leaning against something all the time. I think that's the original saddle. My mother has that bike.
Thanks for the info. I just worry I am paying too much for it at $580 considering it so old.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.