Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a rear Ksyrium hub apart, the freewheel was moving with no irregularities but 'very slow', like if it was all in thick oil. Didn't see much gunk inside though... the mechanism seems very simple by the way, extremely disappointing. I thought that a rear hub was much more complicated than that, it's just 2 bearings, an axle and a 'clicking mechanism'.

So: what do you use for inside lubrication ? oil, grease ? I want something quite thin to get a hub that 'spins forever'. No big deal if I have to reapply frequently, it's so easy to take apart...

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
the bull said:
Clean it up and use a light oil.

Would you have been happy if springs popped out all over and you did not know how to put it back together? I love it when something is simple. :)
I would use a very light grease like a 0 grade. This is what Am Classic recommended for their hubs when the grease was migrating into the freehub body. (Standard grease was thick enough to interfere with the mechanism.) Oil would need frequent re-application.

TF

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
i think Chris king recommends oil, and has their own special formulation.

i used Pedros syngrease on my older Shimano hubs using a Freehub Buddy, and had no problems. haven't done any maintenance to the freehubs on my new wheel, or on my Campy hubs.

·
Registered
492 Posts
rufus said:
i think Chris king recommends oil, and has their own special formulation.

i used Pedros syngrease on my older Shimano hubs using a Freehub Buddy, and had no problems. haven't done any maintenance to the freehubs on my new wheel, or on my Campy hubs.
Chris King has their own oil. It works well and feels like about a 10 weight synthetic. A quart would be like $150! Can you spell Mobile 1?

·
RoadBikeReview Member
162 Posts
Gear Oil

Just go to your local automotive store and get some gear oil. I've been using 90W synthetic gear oil for all my freewheels and freehubs. I changed to oil because, in Canada, riding in sub-freezing temperature turns most grease into gum ... dangerous for freewheels/freehubs. Higher the number (90-120)W means lower viscoity ... thus less flow which is good.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Half right

tmluk said:
Higher the number (90-120)W means lower viscoity ... thus less flow which is good.
Higher number means higher viscosity, which does mean less flow. So, depending on how the question was worded, you may or may not get credit for this answer :) BTW, for normal weather riding (above 40 F/ 5 C) a lightweight grease works fine. Gear lube is a good answer for lower temps and will work at higher temps as well. The thing I like about grease is that it never drains out, no matter how hot the weather gets (even if you have your bike in a closed car on a sunny day).

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I will probably get flamed. Chain saw bar oil. It is a thicker oil that clings to parts and is cheap. I use it on freehub pawls. If you live in the Pacific NW, you can probably pick it up at a Circle K right next to the shotgun shells.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.