Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my most recent road bike (which is now gone) was a 2008 Cannondale Super Six 1. I loved it, but its lack-luster graphics began to bore me and I am simply ready for something other than Cannondale. I prefer a stiff rear and tight handling, climbing is the name of the game and I am ready for a top tier, non-american/mass produced/off-the-shelf ride. So let me hear what you think on the following bikes.

1) Colnago Extreme Power with a Full Chorus build and Campy Neutron Wheels. The bike rides like I expect it to, but it isnt the most appealing, atleast not in my eyes. It just seems so dull and dated, like the design is stuck in 1998.

2) Look 595 Ultra with Chorus and Fulcrum 1 or Zero's. I love the look of the bike (eventhough i think they went a little overboard with the Look emblmes), love the nano-tube technology but I have never ridden one, I just like what I see based off of other peoples experiences.

3) BMC Team Machine with Sram Force or maybe Red with Fulcrum 1 or Zero's maybe another wheel, not sure. Ive liked this bike since late 2005 when I first saw it at my LBS, I really like the new paint options in white and Blue. Little concerned the design might get old or dated to quickly and force me to sell prematurely. Another nan-tube frame gives it props as well.

I looked at the Pinnerello Prince and Paris for a while, but I have decided against them along with the Orbea Orca and BH G4 Connect all for different reasons.

Everyone is telling me to go for the Colnago, but their basis is nothing more than just the name on the side of the bike. I feel like the bike not only needs ride qualities, build qualities, and obvious craftsmanship superiority, but I also need to look at the bike and be inspired, turned on, have it make me want to ride it and lust after it and I just don't think I will have that with the Colnago. It's sad because the ride is so amazing, however it could grow on me out of respect for its other qualities, idk?

Let me know what you like about any one bike in particular or maybe there is someone out there that narrowed it down to these same bikes as well and can give me first hand comparisons. Thanks.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I love my Colnagos, but on that list I'd buy the Look. Colnagos are not snappy and quick by their design nature. They're stable.

I've not ridden a BMC, and when I first saw one I thought I had to have it. Now, I think it's sort of played looking. My interest waned quickly. You sound just as superficial as I am :D so it might not be the best choice.

I have 5 of the most highly regarded CF bikes out in my shop, and the 595 is my #2 favorite. And that's saying something, since #1 was custom built just for lil' ole me.

· FNG
449 Posts
terry b said:
I love my Colnagos, but on that list I'd buy the Look. Colnagos are not snappy and quick by their design nature. They're stable.

I've not ridden a BMC, and when I first saw one I thought I had to have it. Now, I think it's sort of played looking. My interest waned quickly. You sound just as superficial as I am :D so it might not be the best choice.

I have 5 of the most highly regarded CF bikes out in my shop, and the 595 is my #2 favorite. And that's saying something, since #1 was custom built just for lil' ole me.
I'm glad you're still enjoying your 595 Terry. Knowing some of the esteemed company it has in your shop, #2 is something I can live with. :thumbsup:

[email protected]

· Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
Why no "Murricans"? Have you looked into a Parlee and eliminated it for some reason?

If you are racin', I think the Look is a good choice of the three you listed.

If not racin', RUN don't walk to your nearest Colnago emporium. You can't beat the "All day" ride of the Colnago. A more forgiving, all around bike doesn't exist. I've ridden a C50, just not it's racier sibling, the Extreme. My Chorus equipped Master XL is my favorite all time ride.

People I've ridden with have tried the BMC, then moved onto other bikes. They were all sorta "Meh" about them.

YMMV

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
chas said:
I'm glad you're still enjoying your 595 Terry. Knowing some of the esteemed company it has in your shop, #2 is something I can live with. :thumbsup:

[email protected]
And you know something, it's really, really close. :wink5:

If I could only keep 5, it would be one of them.

· Registered
27 Posts
Check out the new 2009 Colnago CX-1 do out this fall. It is a one piece monocoque frame that should appeal to riders looking for something a little more inspiring from Colnago. It is targeted to be an upper end frame in the $4000+ price range....made in Asia.

I built a Wilier Izoard with Record and Fulcrum Zeros this past December and I really like it. However, I'm starting to sniff around and wouldn't mind having another bike in the stable. Our taste are similar. I'm considering the Look, Pinarello Paris and possibly the Colnago Extreme Power or CX-1.

I've had the same thoughts - that the Exteme Power seems a little antiquated with the lugged frame and old style headset. Look does overkill the logo a tad bit. I haven't heard any complaints on the Pinarello yet and I know plenty of people that own them. I also like the Wilier Cento (Cunego Color). I have not seen a photo of a Cento that has done it justice. They are beautiful in person.

Why are you apprehensive about the Pinarello? Have you looked at the Wilier Cento?

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
nbrigato said:
that the Exteme Power seems a little antiquated with the lugged frame and old style headset.
Cento?
The traditional press in style headset that Colnago uses is a very smart idea. If you have problems with your headset, replace it and problem solved. If you do stupid things with an integrated headset like riding for hundreds of miles with a loose headset (yes people do this) then you often need a new frame. The tolerances on the integrated bearing cups can also vary quite a bit as well, possibly leading to problems down the road. The aforementioned statement isn't as much of a problem with road bikes as it is with mountain bikes, but I will always think integrated headsets are lame.
Lugged construction allows colnago to build the frame in Italy, if that matters to you, and not Taiwan where almost all monocoque frames are built. Lots of very good frames are built using tubes and lugs. Trek, Look, Parlee, Calfee, Crumpton, Bianchi, Time, De Rosa, Scott ect have models built by joining tubes and lugs.
I've always loved Colnagos, even though their paint schemes are a bit over the top most of the time. I personally would choose a Colnago, but ride them all, see what fits you the best.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Pinarello Paris is no longer an option because after a ride on the thing I was left underwhelmed and let down. The Paris would still be on the list, but to build the bike correctly would take more than what I have in the budget right now(I have other hobbies as well that seem to be getting just as, if not more expensive than cycling).

I have never thought of going with Parlee, but then again I have never ridden or actually even seen one in person. The Wilier has caught my as of late, but there are only 3 dealers in Texas and none of them are in the DFW, not to mention that I dont know crap about them. DeRosa crossed my mind a time or two as well, still mulling that over, not sure of a local dealer on that steed either.

I feel the same about the BMC as most have stated, its a sticker bike, the frame was really cool and unique 2 years ago, but now its just kinda....well, there. The more I think about it the less I want it.

The Colnago is obviously the best "overall" choice, but I just cant get over its ancient design and lackluster, air-brushed graphics. I can love a bike that rides the way it should, but I can't love a bike that I can't stand to look at or that makes me feel as if I am buying outdated technology and paying extra for a name and receiving nothing in the way of paint and design.

The Look might be up there as well, I just havent been on anything other then a 555 and that was a year and a half ago. Thanks for all of the replies and honesty so far.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I see BMC bikes everywhere in Taiwan. They leak out of the factory where the Easton tubes are assembled and a lot of the R&D is really going on; produced in mass quantities with different stickers. I didn't realize BMC was regarded by some people as a performance bike until today. Another one is Scott. Scott is a Giant with a different sticker. GT... yup! KHS... Motobecane.

· your god hates me
1,604 Posts
Dajianshan said:
I don't think I'd put BMG in the same category as the other two. They are a sticker bike, like a Giant with a different sticker.
rdolson said:
People I've ridden with have tried the BMC, then moved onto other bikes. They were all sorta "Meh" about them.
Dajianshan said:
I see BMC bikes everywhere in Taiwan. They leak out of the factory where the Easton tubes are assembled and a lot of the R&D is really going on; produced in mass quantities with different stickers. I didn't realize BMC was regarded by some people as a performance bike until today.

Man, has my boner been harshed... :::sob:::
A BMC SLC01 Pro Machine has long been on my short-list of dream bikes. But now...

But to the OP I say, for the kind of money you're talking about I would definitely look into Parlee, Crumpton, or Calfee. Arguably as good if not better performance than Look or Pinarello, and about as far as you can get from a "Me Too" sticker bike as possible.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I returned from the LBS and I have decided that even though the styling still takes me back 7-10 years, the Colnago is the bike for me. The way the nude carbon weave breaks out of the white paint is simply stunning and as for the ride, well it's like buttery smooth Italian sex between my legs. The Extreme Power will be in the stable come this weekend and boy am I excited.

· On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Look 595 or 585. You'll love love the Look. You can't go wrong with it. I love the BMC as well, but as I like to say, the Look is a horny bike.

Tim

· Registered
638 Posts
As far as the comments about bmc and scott being glorified giants I can offer some explaination. Yes a major amount of companies contract Giant to build their bikes. and this is fine because giant makes a hell of a product, i think the Tmobile team editions speak for themselves... not to mention Highroad representing the company quite well. The fact that giant builds these bicycles for people is the reason that a scott speedster can be had for under $2000 fully spec'd with ultegra and a whr550 wheelset. Scott definately designed these frames with all of the advantages their R&D department had to offer. Its simply cheaper to have giant perform the actual building overseas... this way scott doesnt need to have a massive factory and complete staff just for these frames... that is what keeps the price reasonable. Is there really any difference if the employees have the word Giant on their uniforms? Does it make the bike slower because the machines that built it were plugged in overseas? If you really want to get down to things the "exotic steel" frames of italy arent exactly a fair deal either. With no gigantic factory to pay for, loads of employees to write checks to, no 50 man R&D department and no dozens of custom built machines its really a wonder why alot of these frames are over $3000. Of course they are all beautiful bikes and I myself aspire to own a pegoretti but is there really any reason that they should cost that much? Or are we all just in the thinking that pricey means good?

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Hey, have you considered a Ridley? The Helium is said to be an outstanding climber. I have a Noah and a Damocles (Ridleys) both are supurb rides with excellent build quality. The Noah/Helium is similar to the Look 595 with their seat mast construction and they are super fast sprinters...Ridden by Robbie McCuen, so they are pro-quality rides.

I loved my Look 585, but it was not a spectacular climber for a big guy like me at 165 lbs. The Look was the best descending bike I've ever ridden. I wanted a 595 Ultra but I'm loving my Noah and it was much less (thousands?) expensive. I think Look went cuckoo with their pricing.

The Damocles is as good uphill as my Noah, but slightly less able in sprints. More comfort in the Damocles. The Ridleys have odd-ball sizing, though. I rode an XL Look 585 and I have a good fit on Med. Ridleys...Colnagos have too short a top tube for me..
Don Hanson

· Registered
108 Posts
BMC is amazing. Light, responsive with only a touch of the pedal and stiff bottom bracket. My dream bike is to build the Team with Red. I've tested it multiple times, and if I had the cash, I'd have it now.
The Look 595 is definitely the most eye catching of the bunch for sure. Very euro. I love the style. Unfortunately haven't been on either the Look or Colnago. I've heard colnagos are so good because of the time proven geometry as well as their 1cm increments for most of their bikes. If its properly fitted (and from what I've heard on a Colnago 1cm makes a world of difference), they're supposed to be an amazing ride.

Look wins in the style department, but BMC is very distinctive, very few (at least in the midwest) have them, and in my opinion it fits your riding style you described. I'm whelmed by the frame warranty. From what my dealer tells me, 3 years and crash replacement after that, meaning you pay half price (off of MSRP) for a new frame once you send in your broken one. Look is 5 years, Colnago has the weakest at 1 yr. With the integrated seat of Look, unless you have very long legs, it may be a harder resale (It sounds like you go through a few bikes).

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the Colnago is now at home hanging on the bedroom wall (ill have pics up next week), haha the gf just loves that! I decided to go with the Colnago because of the absolutely outstanding ride and because of the endless sizing options. I am 5'10" and I weigh 175lbs and I love to climb so I need a stiff rear triangle and a big bottom bracket. The Colnago was already available so I could have it in my hands rather quickly and I was ready for a Campy equipped bike (the Colnago had to have Campy or it just wouldn't look right). I was thinking SRAM for the other two bikes.

I still love the the sexy lines of the Look and I drool after the cool yet odd engineering behind the BMC, but neither felt as good under me as the Italian steed did. I may end up with one of the two in the next few years, but I have a Feminine Cannondale Synapse 3 to buy for the gf here in a few weeks (a gift, she doesn't know she's getting it) so the pocket book is dry for a while. Thanks everyone for all of the advice and insight, there were many worthy bikes suggested in the thread and now I have a lot of researching and drooling to do via internet for the next steed to grace my stable.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'm a pretty big Colnago fan, however I think the Extreme Power is an ugly bike. Actually, most of their CF bikes are ugly. Plus 4k for a frame and fork is just crazy if you ask me. At that price point they should bring back the Art Deco paint jobs, not the generic ones they have going on now. The CLX is ok looking, and funny enough it happens to be the Asian made frame.

I'm too late to the party, but I would have went with the BMC. I rarely see them (in fact, I've never seen one on the road). The ones I've seen in the local shop were very cool looking, and amazingly light. If I had to go with a lugged CF frame, that's my choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.