Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
I'm not bashing the shoes you listed, but much like bike frames, everyone makes their shoes differently. Shoes can be expensive, but tend to last a while, although cleats are an entirely different matter.

Anyway, shoes, shorts, and saddles are where most of your comfort lies. You don't necessarily want to break the bank, but at the same time you don't want to be cutting too many corners.

If you can get the same shoes as your LBS for cheaper, then you could go for it.....but who is going to place your cleats? Personally, I'd suggest getting your shoes from your LBS so you can ensure the correct size and cleat placement.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
spade2you said:
I'm not bashing the shoes you listed, but much like bike frames, everyone makes their shoes differently. Shoes can be expensive, but tend to last a while, although cleats are an entirely different matter.

Anyway, shoes, shorts, and saddles are where most of your comfort lies. You don't necessarily want to break the bank, but at the same time you don't want to be cutting too many corners.

If you can get the same shoes as your LBS for cheaper, then you could go for it.....but who is going to place your cleats? Personally, I'd suggest getting your shoes from your LBS so you can ensure the correct size and cleat placement.
+1. Two excellent reasons to go with your LBS on cycling shoes, otherwise sizing is a guess and odds are you'll be returning any ill fitting pairs, paying shipping both ways.

Remember, the pedal system is an integral part of fit. Mess up cleat placement and even if the bike is sized/ fitted correctly, you'll be faced with a fit issue to be resolved - most likely at the LBS.

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
JokerSeven said:
I feel really good about the sizes. I have been trying on both brands all week. I was just curoius about these two styles.
Right, but you'll still need cleats. Besides, it's now how a shoe feels when you try it on. It's how it feels after your 50 mile ride that matters.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
JokerSeven said:
I feel really good about the sizes. I have been trying on both brands all week. I was just curoius about these two styles.
If both fit well and you're just asking opinions, I'd get the Diadora's, because I think the Shimano's are ugly (sorry, but you asked).

But aesthetics aside, it's likely you'll still need assistance for cleat set up. So if you buy online, then tap your LBS as a resource, you'll dip into some of that money saved by buying online.

As far as knowing how a shoe will feel 'longer term', that'll take some time to find out wherever you purchase it, and is why a 30 day guarantee is a requirement, IMO.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
PJ352 said:
But aesthetics aside, it's likely you'll still need assistance for cleat set up. So if you buy online, then tap your LBS as a resource, you'll dip into some of that money saved by buying online.
The Diadora he's looking are from Performance. I'm thinking he could buy them online, them ship to a local Performance shop and then have the cleats install there. Just an idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I won't even touch on fit and comfort since just like saddles, shoes are an extremely personal choice and you should try as many types as possible. But now days most online stores have a pretty painless return process.

As for the shoe itself, I have the Diadora SpeedR's, which look identical to the ones you listed except they have a carbon sole. Like I said I can't speak to the fit but the shoe itself is constructed well and has stood up to many miles with no problems. I vote the Diadoras.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jett said:
The Diadora he's looking are from Performance. I'm thinking he could buy them online, them ship to a local Performance shop and then have the cleats install there. Just an idea.
Performance's online are the same price as in the store...or if there is a difference, they'll price match to the online price. I have those Diadoras and they're a pretty good shoe..I've ridden them a few times and so far so good, but this is my second pair of Diadoras. I tried on the Shimano and Forte (Performance brand) and found them to both be on the narrow side for me. Also have heard good things about Sidi, Bontrager (Trek), and others.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
If it were me & the Shimanos on Ebay were my size, and I could return them if they didn't fit, I would buy them this instant. Right now. No waiting. Immediately.

I've ridden Shimano shoes for many years & I really like them. They are well made, comfortable and last, with reasonable care, for 5-6 years per pair.

I'd have to check on the stipulations I listed above. They'd all have to b e in place for me to buy.

The Diadora shoes from Nashbar, while not bad shoes, aren't even in the same solar system as the Shimanos. Again, I'm not saying they're a junk shoe. They're not. It's just the Shimanos with the carbon sole are sooo much better. One of the nice things about Nashbar is if you aren't completely satisfied with anything you buy from them, you can always return it even if it's been used. There's never a hassle. Just keep the box & your receipt until you're sure you like them.

As others have said it's always best to buy shoes from your LBS. You can look at them in person, try them on, ask questions, etc. Ultimately you're the one that will have to decide.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've always been a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" this doesn't just apply to cycling. It applies to "about" everything.

For instance I was in need of new road shoes since my old ones were on their last legs. Went into my LBS and tried on a pair of Specialized Comp Road shoe since they were initially in my price range. Nice shoe with a good carbon sole felt good, but when i tried on the Specialized Road Pro shoe it was like night and day. Felt so much more comfortable and didn't pinch in weird spots like the Comp. I splurged and spent the extra 90 bucks on the Pro's

Moral of the story is. If i went online like i was initially going to do and bought the Comps without ever trying them on I would have never felt the difference between a high quality shoe and a mid level shoe (the difference is huge).

Not to say that low level shoe isn't going to do what you need it to do, but like other posters have said when you're riding for several hours the small details tend to be exacerbated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
JacoStillLives said:
I've always been a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" this doesn't just apply to cycling. It applies to "about" everything.
In the case of shoes, I agree I've never been involved in an activity where it's a good idea to compromise fit and comfort of your shoes in order to save money.

In the case of other things, you can pay a lot more and get very little additional utility. The people selling will tell you that you get what you pay for, but in real benefits sometimes it's nothing relevant at all. Sports cars, golf clubs, clothing, sunglasses, dress shoes, fishing rods, etc, etc you can waste a lot of money if you buy into the hype. I think if a person is shopping for a product that's new to them it's always a valid discussion whether spending more gets you more.

Dave

·
Registered
192 Posts
dgeesaman said:
In the case of shoes, I agree I've never been involved in an activity where it's a good idea to compromise fit and comfort of your shoes in order to save money.

In the case of other things, you can pay a lot more and get very little additional utility. The people selling will tell you that you get what you pay for, but in real benefits sometimes it's nothing relevant at all. Sports cars, golf clubs, clothing, sunglasses, dress shoes, fishing rods, etc, etc you can waste a lot of money if you buy into the hype. I think if a person is shopping for a product that's new to them it's always a valid discussion whether spending more gets you more.

Dave

very true, i guess what i was trying to say was more along the lines of there is more of a difference between cheap and good than good and top of the line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.