Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my most recent road bike (which is now gone) was a 2008 Cannondale Super Six 1. I loved it, but its lack-luster graphics began to bore me and I am simply ready for something other than Cannondale. I prefer a stiff rear and tight handling, climbing is the name of the game and I am ready for a top tier, non-american/mass produced/off-the-shelf ride. So let me hear what you think on the following bikes.

1) Colnago Extreme Power with a Full Chorus build and Campy Neutron Wheels. The bike rides like I expect it to, but it isnt the most appealing, atleast not in my eyes. It just seems so dull and dated, like the design is stuck in 1998.

2) Look 595 Ultra with Chorus and Fulcrum 1 or Zero's. I love the look of the bike (eventhough i think they went a little overboard with the Look emblmes), love the nano-tube technology but I have never ridden one, I just like what I see based off of other peoples experiences.

3) BMC Team Machine with Sram Force or maybe Red with Fulcrum 1 or Zero's maybe another wheel, not sure. Ive liked this bike since late 2005 when I first saw it at my LBS, I really like the new paint options in white and Blue. Little concerned the design might get old or dated to quickly and force me to sell prematurely. Another nan-tube frame gives it props as well.

I looked at the Pinnerello Prince and Paris for a while, but I have decided against them along with the Orbea Orca and BH G4 Connect all for different reasons.

Everyone is telling me to go for the Colnago, but their basis is nothing more than just the name on the side of the bike. I feel like the bike not only needs ride qualities, build qualities, and obvious craftsmanship superiority, but I also need to look at the bike and be inspired, turned on, have it make me want to ride it and lust after it and I just don't think I will have that with the Colnago. It's sad because the ride is so amazing, however it could grow on me out of respect for its other qualities, idk?

Let me know what you like about any one bike in particular or maybe there is someone out there that narrowed it down to these same bikes as well and can give me first hand comparisons. Thanks.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
I test-rode a 586 Look on a good, several mile, up-and-down course. Extremely lightweight with Dura-Ace and Mavic. Quick-handling. Very rigid rear end. I found it a bit too brutal and unsparing. It made a 585 Dura-Aced/Mavic wheeled Ultra I test-rode several months previously seem gentle by comparison. Nevertheless, the 586 sounds close to what you're looking for.

About a year ago, I took a short test-ride on a Colnago Extreme Power. As much of a Colnago fan as I am (witness my screen name), I found it to be more a jack hammer than a bicycle. As much as I loved the C-50 I tested a couple years back, I hated the Extreme Power.

BTW, I ride a Time Edge Translink. I've had it for over two years. Probably way too soft and civilized for you. But I love it dearly.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eventhough I havent swung a leg over the 595, I am leaning towards it more and more. The only thing that turns me away from it is that they feel the need to put "LOOK" on every square inch of the damn thing, my lord, its on there like 18 times, who approved that?

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
I realized a while back that pro-level bikes have their maker's marques seemingly plastered everywhere because the maker wants the spectator or photographer to be able to see the company name no matter where, no matter what.

That's why a lot of the bicycles you see in the big races have their names written on the down tube, down near the bottom bracket. If Graham Watson happens to be lying on the ground, pointing his camera up as a rider roars by, everybody will still see what kind of bike it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.