Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 2001 Major Jake tonight. I need to replace the brake pads, just about the only work that'll need to be done on it. I had some left over pads from an older bike that i never used, Kool-Stop Eagle Claw II, but the post part seems to be too fat to fit into the brakes.

Bikepedia says the brakes are "Avid Shorty 6 brakes" but written on them is Avid 10c. Which pads should i order exactly? While i'm at it - should i upgrade the brakes all together? I got a decent deal on it so i'm willing to invest some money into it.

If it matters on pad type - i live in the front range colorado, planning on using it for commuting and a few races.

thanks!

·
More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
Everybody bashes on the Avid brakes, but they're really not that bad. The stock pads are so-so, which is probably what prompts the poor reviews. I find them to have adequate stopping power and good adjustability. I run Swiss-stop green pads for cross racing. They squeal a bit in dry conditions but are much better than black pads in wet conditions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If they are the Shorty brake, I installed Kool Stop Black pads on the front (MTB V-brake pads), and it got rid of the squeeling that the brakes had before (same amount of toe in - about 1 mm each side). They still aren't that powerful of a brake, but I'm comparing to MTB disc and V-brakes, and road dual pivots.

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
jasper9 said:
oh I'm an idiot - i didn't realize you can replace just the pad and not the whole housing (right?)

these would work? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR408D10-Kool-Stop+Dura-Aceultegra+Brake+Pads.aspx
The inserts for Shimano road brakes are different. I believe you want "Inserts for Linear-Pull and Cantilever compatible mountain brake shoes and inserts." Such as these. I am just using those as an example. I have not used the Jagwire inserts.

Can you post pictures to clarify what brakes you have?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Shorty 6s ship with cartridge pads. Shorty 4s ship with non-cartridge pads. Other than some aesthetics, that is the difference between the two AFAIK.

If the bike is used, things could have been changed, but a quick glance will tell you which is currently installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.