Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a pair of Mavic CXP-33's with about 1500 miles on them. Recently I had the rear tire off to repair a flat and noticed that the Velox rim tape I'm using has sunken deeply into the spoke holes, to the point where the metal edges of the holes seem to be cutting through the tape in a few places. This concerns me since I've recently started doing some long distance (80+ mi) rides and want my bike to be as reliable as possible. I weigh 225 so I run 25mm tires at 115-120psi. I assume this just adds that much more pressure on the tape, forcing it deeper into the holes.

I've read that cloth tape is not recommended for double-walled rims where the spoke nipple is recessed into a hole, because it's too stretchy. Should I be using plastic rim strips instead? How about a second layer of Velox? I've also seen high-pressure rim tapes made by Continental, IIRC.

Veloplugs also look interesting and I'm really tempted to try them as they seem like the right way to solve the problem (anyone know if they fit CXP33's?). The weight savings is of little concern to me, but I like that they cover the holes with a rigid surface.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have never seen Velox rim tape actually get cut through by the rim holes. The tape always sinks down into the holes but I have nevr seen it get cut through. The veloplugs fit 8mm holes and most rims are 9mm, I do not know what size the holes of the CXP33n are to tell you if they will fit or not.

I would not suggest using 2 layers of Velox because it can make the tire hard to get on and off.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Velox widths

Metaluna said:
II've read that cloth tape is not recommended for double-walled rims where the spoke nipple is recessed into a hole, because it's too stretchy. Should I be using plastic rim strips instead? How about a second layer of Velox? I've also seen high-pressure rim tapes made by Continental, IIRC.
The usual recommendation is the other way around - a plastic rim strip has to be stretchy enough to stretch over the rim, so it is more likely to flex into the spoke holes due to pneumatic pressure. The fibers in a cloth rim strip are less stretchy.

Maybe the rim strip you used is too narrow? Velox comes in three widths - 22mm, 17mm and 11mm. The 11mm version may cover the holes, but if shifts or flexes, it could expose the edges of the holes. The 17mm version is the version most often used for road rims. I haven't had any problem with the 17mm version on any rims I've used.

·
Island Hopping cyclist
530 Posts
I use CXP-22 rims, similar to the CXP-33 rims, and yes, Velox will recess into the spole holes, which are somewhat deep, and cut into the tape. I replace my rim tape every year to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have used veloplugs with great success. Just measure the spoke hole in the rim to see if they will fit. My rims were about .5-1 mm bigger than the plugs so they fit very loosely at first. Just bend the prongs a little and then instal. They will still be loose the first time you instal the tube; however, after a few rides they settle in and form to the hole nicely. A great product because 1) they are ultralight, 2) they allow more space for the tube tire 3) it seems virtually impossible for them to fail resulting in a punctured tube.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did a bit of Google searching and found a reference claiming that the Veloplugs will fit the CXP33's, so I went ahead and ordered some (I haven't had time to dismount the tire and measure the holes yet). If they don't work out I guess I'll have to try some different brands of tape (I've heard that Kool Stop Rim Gard is good, though very hard to find). Otherwise I'll just make sure to replace the Velox tape every 1500 miles or so. I'm pretty sure I'm using the medium-width Velox which covers the holes fully.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Velox 17mm on CXP33

Metaluna said:
Well I did a bit of Google searching and found a reference claiming that the Veloplugs will fit the CXP33's, so I went ahead and ordered some (I haven't had time to dismount the tire and measure the holes yet). If they don't work out I guess I'll have to try some different brands of tape (I've heard that Kool Stop Rim Gard is good, though very hard to find). Otherwise I'll just make sure to replace the Velox tape every 1500 miles or so. I'm pretty sure I'm using the medium-width Velox which covers the holes fully.
I have been using Velox 17mm width on a CXP-33 wheelset for the past two years without problem. The tape has recessed some at the spoke holes, but not enough to expose an edge. These wheels probably have 10K km on them, maybe more, in all weather conditions. I pump my tires to 110 PSI rear/100-105 PSI front.

Unless those Veloplugs are a really snug fit I wouldn't use them. The worst scenario would be flatting and then losing a Veloplug in the grass or gravel at the roadside while changing the flat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree it would not be good to lose one on a ride. I actually carry a few in my saddle bag (they weigh absolutely nothing) just in case. However, this is very unlikely since, as I mentioned earlier, after pumping up the tire for the first time, they settle into the rim holes and fit snugly with no problems. Of course if they are really loose fitting to start with, you could have problems. I would only use them if you can bend the prongs a little and have them stay in the hole without falling out.

Another advantage of these that I forgot to mention is that they do not absorb water like some types of rim tape. This keeps your rim lighter in the rain and alleviates the possibility of having the tape rot and break down prematurely.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
Bringing this one back up......

After a not so fun failure of Velox tape on my cxp33s this weekend, I bought the plugs. The cxp33 has a sleeve in the spoke hole but they still fit tightly enough to not fall out without pulling them out. Even if they did fall out somehow the ones I got are bright red and should be easy to locate. I don't see them falling out.

Short of somehow getting a flat because of them (don't see how, but I will let you know if I do)... they rock. They are a bit more expensive and take a bit more time to install. I guess there is no reason for them ever to go bad however....plus you can change spokes/nipples easy....tires mount easy...etc..etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.