Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Which road bike is equivalent to a Turner?

4K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  kiwisimon 
#1 · (Edited)
My friend just got a roadbike...he is already acting different and stuffier to be honest. He used to be a hardcore mountain biker but now that his wife bought him a roadbike I doubt he will see much dirt.

I figure if you cant beat em, join em. He says specialized are the best and are probably the equivalent to Turners from the mountain bike world. If you dont know, Turners are like no other mountain bike made so its a tall order to expect Specialized road bikes to be at that level. is he right?

chur

#2 ·
Well Turners are hand CRAFTED in the US

ALL Specialized Road bikes (like their Mountain Bikes) are made in Taiwan and China

Specialized are good bikes, no question there...but hardly a good comparison to a hand crafted US made product.

#5 ·
Specialized road bikes are the equivalent of Specialized mountain bikes from the mountain bike world. That can mean many things, depending on your view of Specialized, but IMO netheir their road or mountain bikes are the "best" by a long shot. Hard to imagine a Turner fan seriously entertaining such a notion -- :skep:

I can't think of any analogs to Turner in the road bike world. Maybe Cannondale, to the extent that they still make aluminum frames in the US and charge a slight premium for that distinction.

#6 ·
Which car is equivalent to a rhesus monkey?

This is off the scale on the apples/oranges/beets scale of comparison. There is no way to even answer such a question IMHO. Check out bikes and find what fits you and your budget.

#7 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Specialized road bikes are the equivalent of Specialized mountain bikes from the mountain bike world. That can mean many things, depending on your view of Specialized, but IMO netheir their road or mountain bikes are the "best" by a long shot. Hard to imagine a Turner fan seriously entertaining such a notion -- :skep:

I can't think of any analogs to Turner in the road bike world. Maybe Cannondale, to the extent that they still make aluminum frames in the US and charge a slight premium for that distinction.

Wasn't the stage winner of yesterday's TDF on a Specialized?

Must be the best.....

As far as their MTBs.....the Enduro S-works is a 28lb 6" travel bike. Nothing else comes close.

chur

#8 ·
"Which car is equivalent to a rhesus monkey?"

It would depend if it was a crap throwin' rhesus monkey. If it was, the car would be a small Honda.

#9 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Wasn't the stage winner of yesterday's TDF on a Specialized?

Must be the best.....

As far as their MTBs.....the Enduro S-works is a 28lb 6" travel bike. Nothing else comes close.

chur
good point...i think Trek used to be the best but they dont seem to be on Tour winner's bikes anymore so my guess is that they are not as good nowadays

chur

#13 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Did you read that on the Specialized web site? :rolleyes: $7700 MSRP? ROFLMAO.
thats not so bad...and i bet you could get a dealer down to the low $7000 range in which case its a killer deal

there are really no other mountain bikes that can be used for xc racing and big hits anyway so i would be happy to pay $7000 from what my friend tells me

my friend did say however that Ellsworth may be the only bike better than Turner; I currently have my eye on the new Ellsworth Ti Truth. Its offered complete for $10,000 but I am sure i could get it for about $9,000. With the ICT technology nothing can beat it!

As for roadbikes....i wonder if Ellsworth is something i should consider?

chur

#14 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
don't be a hater just because you can't afford it. Ferraris are expensive too

chur
he may be a hater buy you sound pretty friggin pretentious....you're like "Look at me..the big man on campus...i can afford whatever I want"

whatever dude...not everybody has a trust fund. Go snort some cocaine, b!tch

#20 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
"Which car is equivalent to a rhesus monkey?"

It would depend if it was a crap throwin' rhesus monkey. If it was, the car would be a small Honda.
You have this love for crap throwing monkeys don't ya! Crits and Hondas are both like crap throwing rhesus monkeys, therefore crits are like hondas. My head hurts...

I'm asking for it. Replying to a grumpy Smart Remark to one of my Smart Remarks. Off to the lounge with me!

#23 ·
how does one equate

a small boutique company like Turner with a monolith like Specialized??

Turner's are owned by a morediscreet buyer

Specialized Road = Specialized MTB. great bikes,great technology, pricey,from a big mfr and you see heaps of them daily

Equivalentof a Turner in the road world would be a Pegoretti on a lesser note 3-D Racing

if you want the equivalent of a Turner in a road bike, a Pegoretti Love #3is your calling

#25 ·
Fo
Whatever you get should have some of those Ausgaylian Velocity wheels with the massive stickers and you should post lots of pics of you in lycra while riding them.
Anyhoo it will not matter what you buy because you are worse than I am and will get upgradeitis within a matter of days and sell it for something else that is no better really but fulfills your deep seated need for baseless change.

Back to the topic and I reckon that Moots is the equivalent of Turner in the MTB world, but only because I have one ( a Moots that is). Moots owners certainly fulfill doughboy's comment about the Cult following although Moots and their followers prefer to call it a Congregation (must be true as it says so on the jersey they gave me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.