Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a relatively small and low profile seat bag that is just big enough for a spare tube (or two), tire levers and a couple allen keys. I like it to just sleekly attach under the seat without any dramatic protrusion. Is there any on the market that is popular amongst roadies?

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Why use a seat bag at all..........

Why not just cram a spare tube, Co2 bottle, tire levers,etc, into an old tube sock, rolled tightly and fitted inside a nylon bag with a draw cord, and then stuffed inside your saddle above the rails. You could secure it there with velcro, or rubber strapping tape.

About as low profile as you can get

· Registered
163 Posts
I have begun using the Pedros Micro Blowout Bag which has one strap that attaches to the seat rails. I was using the smallest Jandd bag before but the velcro strap that runs around the seatpost was destroying my shorts. In the Pedros I carry: Crank Brothers multi-tool, 2 tire levers, 1 speed stick lever, 1 patch kit, 1 spoke wrench and 2 12 gram CO2 carts. I carry a spare tube and my CO2 inflator in my jersey pocket.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I was using the Pearl Izumi bag, but I wanted to go smaller. I looked at the Pedro's as well, but ended up finding a Timbuk2 seatbag on sale. I think I paid $11.00 for it. So far I love it. Minimalist, and a bit on the stiff side. Just enough room for a spare tube, very small patch kit, micro tool, and a couple of band-aids. It's about the smallest I've seen in a practical package... I didn't even know Timbk2 made under seat bags.

· 30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
bung said:
I have begun using the Pedros Micro Blowout Bag which has one strap that attaches to the seat rails. I was using the smallest Jandd bag before but the velcro strap that runs around the seatpost was destroying my shorts. In the Pedros I carry: Crank Brothers multi-tool, 2 tire levers, 1 speed stick lever, 1 patch kit, 1 spoke wrench and 2 12 gram CO2 carts. I carry a spare tube and my CO2 inflator in my jersey pocket.
Second the Micro Blowout Bag. I have a spare tube, air chuck, and tire levers in mine. Could probably squeeze an extra c02 cartridge in there if I tried hard, but that's it. Multi-tool goes in the jersey pocket for easy access. You pretty much have to take the whole bag off to get inside it b/c of the straps in relation to the zipper.

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
beeristasty said:
Second the Micro Blowout Bag. I have a spare tube, air chuck, and tire levers in mine. Could probably squeeze an extra c02 cartridge in there if I tried hard, but that's it. Multi-tool goes in the jersey pocket for easy access. You pretty much have to take the whole bag off to get inside it b/c of the straps in relation to the zipper.

And I third it. It looks tiny but will hold tube, levers, multitool and patchkit!

· Registered
5,358 Posts
I have a Pedros Micro Blowout on one bike. It's a good bag. I recently got an even better bag for the other bike- the smallest Specialized bag. Its zipper opens wider, it has a more secure mounting, and the top is padded. So when you hit a bump your tools don't clack against the seat rails. I've tried a couple other bags recently. The Pearl Izumi bagkept coming loose and was too wide in the front so my thighs would hit it. The Performance "cat 1" bag was small but had to be removed from the bike to get anything out, and the cheap zipper jammed. I have a MTB version of the Specialized bag on my MTB bike (mtb tubes are bigger) and it's held up for a couple years.

· Registered
83 Posts
Jersey Pocket!

I used the Jandd seat bags, but like others have reported, they would chafe my bibs. Now, I use a ziploc plastic bag to contain tire levers, tube, 2 CO2 cartridges, patch kit, and inflator. Behind that bag i have another small, thin bag that contains my ID, Credit Card, a couple of bucks and a cell phone. Carrying the stuff in my jersey pocket has eliminated the fabric chafing of my bibs and it is a cleaner look. More better. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
ditto on jersey pocket, they're there use 'em.
What's inside my plastic re-useable bag: key, small cash, CC or ATM
other bag: tufo tire sealant, tools, CB mini pump (I actually stoped carrying on shorter rides)
thrird bag: food, gel ect.

What needs to be invented is a Co2 and mini pump that will fit up in a seat post...sort of like a tampon w/ string and all...

· Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just visited my LBS and did infact see the Pedro Micro blowout.. however I find it too small. It literally only fits a spare tube and nothing more. I also saw a Specialized Mini Wedgie for the same price and it's bigger and is much better made. I ended up getting the Specialized bag. I am pretty impressed with the water resistant nylon material as well as the reversed waterproof zipper. Inside it has a nice neoprene tool pocket for the tire levers and allen keys that prevents the potential of piercing the inner tube. Best of all, it's narrow and sleek looking that blends well with overall look for a racing bike.

· your god hates me
1,616 Posts
scottie said:
I don't think you can go wrong with the Topeak Micro Wedge.

Careful with the Topeaks: I tried one of the Macro Wedges just a week ago, & due to how far forward my saddle is on the seatpost (which is not very; it's right in the middle of the rails) there's not enough room to accomodate the distance between the fixed location of the rail clamp on the bag & the strap which goes around the seatpost. IOW, the bag is too long for my bike. Presumably this would be a much less likely occurance with the Micro Wedge, but still, the fact that their quick-release bracket is inflexible actually limits the mounting options.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
kdub said:
I just visited my LBS and did infact see the Pedro Micro blowout.. however I find it too small. It literally only fits a spare tube and nothing more. I also saw a Specialized Mini Wedgie for the same price and it's bigger and is much better made. I ended up getting the Specialized bag. I am pretty impressed with the water resistant nylon material as well as the reversed waterproof zipper. Inside it has a nice neoprene tool pocket for the tire levers and allen keys that prevents the potential of piercing the inner tube. Best of all, it's narrow and sleek looking that blends well with overall look for a racing bike.

Pearl Izumi makes one very similar that I like a lot.

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Bob Ross said:
Careful with the Topeaks: I tried one of the Macro Wedges just a week ago, & due to how far forward my saddle is on the seatpost (which is not very; it's right in the middle of the rails) there's not enough room to accomodate the distance between the fixed location of the rail clamp on the bag & the strap which goes around the seatpost. IOW, the bag is too long for my bike. Presumably this would be a much less likely occurance with the Micro Wedge, but still, the fact that their quick-release bracket is inflexible actually limits the mounting options.

the topeak I use is strap only...no quick release...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.