Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a road bike and getting back into it. Shorts/bibs have changed their pads quite a bit since my last road ride. I was looking at the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. bibs but was curious what people were riding with and what you would recommend.

·
Anhinga
31 Posts
I've had all manner of shorts and bibs over the years and have found Performance Ultra bibs to be the most comfortable. I like their pad a whole lot better than, for example, the pads in Pearl Izumis which, at least down here in Florida, become extremely uncomfortable after about 15-20 miles. The Performance pad, on the other hand, sheds moisture quite well and is comfortable even after a 50-mile ride. As for shorts vs. bibs, once I tried bibs I never went back. They're much less constricting and let you breathe better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not to hijack the topic, but...

What, if any, is the advantage of bibs over shorts. I have read different articles where the arguments seems to be that wearing a bib is superior (more comfy, etc) to donning shorts for the ride. Thanks if anyone knows.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Advantage of bib over shorts

Bib shorts don't pull down and show your crack. The pants fabric on the bib shorts are higher than shorts. I especially like them for cool and winter riding as they keep my base layer tight against the skin to prevent wind drafts creeping up. Some riders wear a summer baselayer to help keep cooler and the bib shorts and straps keep that closer and tighter to the skin.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sojourner2005 said:
What, if any, is the advantage of bibs over shorts. I have read different articles where the arguments seems to be that wearing a bib is superior (more comfy, etc) to donning shorts for the ride. Thanks if anyone knows.
I think bibs are an advantage for those of us who don't have the "classic" cyclist's body shape. With shorts there is always the problem of getting the right waistband fit, and nothing makes me more uncomfortable over the long run than a tight waistband. Bibs really eliminate that issue and are comfortable for me all day long.

I also have rarely been sorry when I've bought a bit higher-end of a product that I thought I needed. I recently bought a pair of those $50 Hammer (Voler) bibs that a lot of people like, but sent them right back due to fit and fabric that I didn't care for. I don't ride enough to wear out my clothing, so might as well buy the higher-quality stuff.

I currently have a pair of Louis Garneau "Alveo" bibs that I really like, and just bought some Sugoi RS bibs (based on forum opinions) that also seem really nice but I haven't ridden in them yet. Both are in the $150 price range.

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
not to hijack.....but I have Voler and PI bibs, I like both. Considering other brands. Not sure about sizing though. I'm size L in both PI and Voler. Where are some of the other brands made and should I go with an XL with some of the euro brands???

BTW went to bibs years ago....won't even consider standard shorts now.
Bryan

·
Registered
896 Posts
when I started racing and bought my team kit for the first 2 years, I bought bibs because everyone else did. IMHO, they are a PIA. i usually forget to pull the suspendors up before putting on my shirt, or i forget to put my HRM on under the suspendors and have to snake it around. my plain old shorts never fall down, never show my crack, never feel uncomfortable at the waist band. what I really like is that since I train alot indoors, I can fold the shorts waist band down, and my shirt up in the back giving me a 6" band of exposed skin that allows me to shed heat like a chimney. since I crashed a few weeks ago, I am down to 1 pair of team kit shorts, so the bibs do factor into the laundry rotation. Note to Self: buy more shorts next year.

·
Registered
534 Posts
lawrence said:
I like the Performance Elite bib shorts better than the Voler. Better built IMO. I also have a very light pair of DeMarchi Coutour Lite and and they don't last.
The Elite bib is my favorite. I have tried about 6 or 7 different brands/pairs. These were probably the cheapest and best. $54 on sale now.... Plus its performance, if they come apart, you show up at the store and get a new pair.

·
Registered
758 Posts
True, if you're a chick, otherwise...

...pull the pant leg up and fire away. 'course if ya gotta do a deuce, then Yes - PITA.

Ya'know it seems like somebody ought to be able to come up with a velcro system or something that would allow you to drop trow without having to take the jersey off and pull shoulder straps down. I bet the ladies would really go for that. Anybody know a good patent attorney?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor bibs a few months ago and have been happy with them. They're the first pair of the "new" PI shorts I've owned, with the new foam chamois, and I was a little bit worried that I wouldn't like them as much as my old school shorts with the synthetic leather chamois, but my worries were unfounded. If the old PI shorts worked for you then the new ones should as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.