Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

which sport dopes the most

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
If the same standards and penalties applied to MOST pro sports as they did to cycling, there would be a whole lot of empty air time on Sundays. I am sure though the corn fed linemen in football got that size naturally.

·
Banned
169 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
They all dope the most. Worldwide, soccer is probably the worst. In the US, football.

Yup.

And I will add>>>As long as millions are to be made in pro sport doping simply cannot stop and we delude ourselves to think otherwise.

"Leave me in Peace; everybody takes dope".
Jacque Anquetil

“It’s like when you’re driving. The law says there’s a speed limit of 100 km/h, but everyone is driving at 120 km/h. Why should I be the one who obeys the speed limit? So I had two options: either fit in and go along with the others or go back to being a house painter.”
Alex Zulle

Cheers

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
They all dope the most. Worldwide, soccer is probably the worst. In the US, football.
I would be a little surprised if soccer is the worst. While it obviously has considerable physical demands (running, what, about 10 -15 km in a game?), endurance is not the most important ability in the sport, so I wonder how much benefit something like EPO would be. Some for sure, but being a "great" soccer player does not equate with being the one who can run all day. Similarly, sheer physical strength is nowhere near as important as it is in American Football or Ice Hockey. So the various types of steroids might not help much either.

You left out Nordic Skiing - lots of EPO issues there, much like cycling.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
loudog said:
a soccer player will run almost 10 mi a match... kinda endurance.
true - but I don't think that endurance is absolutely central to playing soccer well (apart from an obvious need to be fit). Other things are much more important, like skill on the ball and vision of the pitch. Unlike sports like cycling or nordic skiing, while PEDs might assist they are not going to be determinative of the result. I am not saying that soccer is "clean", I just don't think that PEDs would make as much of a difference.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wonder about hockey. you never really hear about nhl players getting busted which makes me wonder if they're even testing. I know they only do 20second shifts but its quite the intense 20 seconds. Other than that id say football.

·
Banned
169 Posts
oarsman said:
true - but I don't think that endurance is absolutely central to playing soccer well (apart from an obvious need to be fit). Other things are much more important, like skill on the ball and vision of the pitch. Unlike sports like cycling or nordic skiing, while PEDs might assist they are not going to be determinative of the result. I am not saying that soccer is "clean", I just don't think that PEDs would make as much of a difference.

EPO for aerobic power and HGH for recovery makes a great combo for soccer.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
loudog said:
try and support your choice. thanks
I voted for the NFL which seems to be the most obvious choice.
However I believe that all elite level athletes, any sport, need "outside help" in order to continue competing at that level. Why? Because the human body just isn't engineered to take that kind of abuse, whether it's throwing 100mph fastballs or serving 120mph aces or sprinting to 9.74 sec world records etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
B15serv said:
I wonder about hockey. you never really hear about nhl players getting busted which makes me wonder if they're even testing. I know they only do 20second shifts but its quite the intense 20 seconds. Other than that id say football.
Try about 90-120 second shifts. At your rate there would be almost nobody on the ice who was not about to change shifts. Your point is quite right about the intensity though.

·
Bone idle wanker
746 Posts
I voted NFL......I mean, nobody naturally weighs upward of 240 lbs, has a 30 inch waist, and can run a 4.3 40 yard dash, can they?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Realgains said:
EPO for aerobic power and HGH for recovery makes a great combo for soccer.
No doubt correct - but to use your language from other posts, a "non-jacked" player can still compete with a "jacked" one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I voted for football... mainly due to the need to help the body build muscle and repair itself... I think a full contact sport (hockey, rugby, football, wrestling) would be much more prone to general doping (steroids). Two massive bodies colliding, each one trying to defeat the other... you can get snapped like a twig.

MLB has to be up there, mainly for pitchers (looking for longevity) and sluggers (looking for power).

Soccer? are you kidding? tied up 1-1 in the 89th minute... EPO could give you that extra half step past the defender... and a possible goal against a drained goalie. Definitely an advantage.

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
If you want "drug use", #1 by far is the NBA. They stopped testing for weed beacause the failure rate was 90%+. PED's in the NBA is probably very low.
-------------------------
I think most pro cyclist use test or something simular for recovery at a minimum. Others (Ricco for example) take it to a higher level.

NFL is probably the worst with abusing the PED's or pain killers. There is a big difference with steroid use and abuse.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.